The Long Lavender Look by John D. Macdonald

The Long Lavender Look (edition 1985)

by John D. Macdonald

Member:ebwinelotr
Title:The Long Lavender Look
Authors:John D. Macdonald
Info:Fawcett (1985), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Fiction - Mystery - MacDonald - Long Lavender Look

The Long Lavender Look by John D. MacDonald

Only the second Travis McGee I have read but I know I will read more.

They are "comfort food". Not as good in my view as the Perry Mason series , but I can understand how someone who had come across these first reaching the opposite conclusion.

Big Ship
23 March 2014 ( )
  bigship | Mar 23, 2014 |
After the exotica of Mexico in DRESS HER IN INDIGO, the claustrophobic confines of Cypress County, Florida cast a dark shadow over another journey through death, suffering, and the worst of human nature. Meyer, unfortunately, only appears at the beginning of the book long enough to get arrested, along with McGee, for murder, hospitalized, then at the end when the weary McGee returns to the Busted Flush to recuperate. In the grand comparison, McGee behaves pretty well in this one, but still manages to cause a few deaths by simply being near people. Meyer's presence would have made the whole book a lot more enjoyable. The plot takes a long time--about 50 pages too long--to unwind, and as byzantine as it is, I'm not sure it all really adds up. It revolves around $900,000 of hidden loot from an armored car robbery and the group of social deviants who are trying to find it. This is much more of a character study, and there are plenty of characters to observe. As usual, there are some conveniently talkative folks who give McGee most of what he needs in his quest for answers. This is hardly MacDonald's best work, but there are still considerable pleasures to be had here. ( )
  datrappert | Dec 29, 2013 |
Travis deals with a Deep South sheriff in this one. What makes it so real is I've known this fellow, and he knows his characterkzation! ( )
  andyray | Jun 10, 2008 |
Travis McGee narrowly misses hitting a young girl with his car at night. Then as he walks away from the overturned car, someone shoots at him from an old truck. And when he complains to the local Florida sherriff, he gets arrested for murder. ( )
  tripleblessings | Feb 2, 2007 |

John D. MacDonaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hiassen, CarlIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I play with my cat, who knows but that she regards me more of a plaything than I do her? - Michel Eyquem De Montaigne
Late April. Ten o'clock at night. Hustling south on Florida 112 through the eastern section of Cypress County, about twenty miles from the intersection of 112 and the Tamiami Trail.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449224740, Mass Market Paperback)

Featuring an Introduction by bestselling author Carl Hiaasen, here is another colorful adventure involving freewheeling gumshoe Travis McGee with millions and murder in a deadly Florida town by one of mystery's best-loved bestselling authors.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:53 -0400)

When Travis McGee is arrested for murder in Cyprus County, Florida, he finds himself in the middle of a mystery involving police brutality, blackmail, murder, and $920,000 in stolen cash.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,664,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible