Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Incarceron

by Catherine Fisher

Series: Incarceron (1)

2,6141662,289 (3.75)1 / 103

English (164)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (166)
Incarceron, by Catherine Fisher

For dystopian and fantasy readers, this is a good read. It's personally not my favorite genre. I read it because it is middle school battle of the books list for 2016, in order to write questions for the Watauga MSBOB County teams. I was disappointed at the ending which was left open for a sequel. I don't Plan to read the sequel, but do want to know more of what happens with Claudia and Finn.

This is the story of a living prison and the struggle of those that live both inside and outside the prison. Finn, the main character's goal is to find freedom from the prison that he lives within. Claudia lives outside the prison but also is striving to find a way to free herself from the life that she is living. Finn and Claudia come in contact with each other through a key. She believes that he is a long lost prince from her world. The story is set in a future where advanced technology has given those in charge the ability to pick the type of era in which the people live, and focuses on the struggles that the characters face while trying to make their own path and live a life of freedom. This is called The Era.

Finn does not have any memory of anything that happened before he was about 16 and is even unsure of his actual age. He lives in a world that is made of metal with one glowing red eye that watches your every move, and at times the prison can even punish you. He travels with a band of thieves that live by a rugged cruel code of ethics, and although Finn is willing to fight, and often kill, he possesses a kindness that sets him apart from this band of hoodlums. Finn finds himself in possession of a crystal key and at this point, his life begins to change. The key enables him the power to talk to a woman that claims to be outside the prison. In Finn's realm of thinking, no one in the prison knows how to get out and some even doubt that there is a way to get out.

Claudia is the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron. She fears her father in many ways but is willing to defy him in order to save herself from an arranged marriage with a prince. Claudia is trying to find Incarceron when she finds the strange crystal key and begins talking with Finn. After some time communicating with Finn, Claudia and Finn begin seeing each other more regularly. When Claudia sees Finn and learns that he has no memory of anything from his childhood she immediately believes he was the king's older son from a previous marriage and was sent to Incarceron because the queen wanted her own heir to be the future queen. Claudia believes Finn is her hope of escape.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I could not stop reading this book. The science fiction/technology parts had me completely confused, but I loved the story. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This was a decent book. It was a bit confusing in the beginning but definitely got better as the story progressed. I will probably read the next in the series. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I quite like the idea of a prison that is alive and aware of its inmates, but Incarceron felt a bit like a minor character in this novel. I expected it to be way more menacing. In fact, I felt that the world-building was too fragile and uncertain. Not a bad read, though. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
She's a good writer and this is an excellent story with an interesting plot and characters. Pretty close to a 5. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

Catherine Fisherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(chapter 1 page 5)

Who can chart the vastness of Incarceron?
Its halls and viaducts, its chasms?
Only the man who has known freedom
Can define his prison.
                             -Song of Sapphique
(chapter 2 page 15)

We will choose an Era from the past and re-create it.
We will make a world free from the anxiety of change!
It will be Paradise!
                                                 -King Endor's Decree
(chapter 3 page 28)

The experiment will be a bold one and there
may well be risks we have not foreseen. But
Incarceron will be a system of great complexity
and intelligence. There could be no kinder or
more compassionate guardian of its inmates.
                   -Project report; Martor Sapiens
(chapter 4 page 42)

Finally when all was ready, Martor convened
the council of the Sapienti and asked for
volunteers. They must be prepared to leave
family and friends forever. To turn their backs
on the green grass, the trees, the light of the sun.
Never again to see the stars.
    "We are the Wise," he said. "The responsibility
for success is ours. We must send our finest minds
to guide the inmates."
    At the appointed hour, as he approached the
chamber of the Gate, they say he murmured his
fear that it would be empty.
    He opened the door. Seventy men and women
were waiting for him. In great ceremony, they
entered the Prison.
    They were never seen again.
                                     -Tales of the Steel Wolf
(chapter 5 page 55)

There was a man and his mane was Sapphique.
Where he came from is a mystery. Some say he
was born of the Prison, grown from its stored
components. Some say he came from Outside,
because he alone of men returned there. Some
say he was not a man at all, but a creature
from those shining sparks lunatics see in dreams
and name the stars. Some say he was a liar and
a fool.
                                               -Legend of Sapphique
To Sheenagh Pugh
brilliant poet, wise webmistress.
Finn had been flung on his face and chained to the stone slabs of the transitway.
(page 50)

. . . As for the arrangement we spoke of before, it
is unfortunate, but great changes often require great
sacrifices. G has been kept aloof from others since
his father died; the people's grief will be real but
short-lived and we can contain it. It barely needs
saying that your part will be behind value to us.
When my son is King I can promise you all I . . .
(page 142)

My dear,
    You will have heard the good news that your
wedding is imminent. After waiting all these
years, I'm sure your excitement is as intense as
my own! Casper insisted on coming to escort you
here--such a romantic. What a handsome couple
you will make. From now on, my dear, you must
think of me as your loving mother.
                                                            Sia Regina

FIMMIA
FIMOS NEPOS
FINARA

FINN

Imagine a prison so vast that it contains cells and corridors, forests, cities and seas. Imagine a prisoner with no memory, sure he came from Outside - though the prison has been sealed for centuries and only one man has ever escaped. Imagine a girl in a manor house, in a society where time is forbidden, held in a 17th century world run by computers, doomed to an arranged marriage, tangled in an assassination plot she dreads and desires. One inside, one outside. But both imprisoned. Imagine Incarceron.

To free herself from an upcoming arranged marriage, Claudia, the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, a futuristic prison with a mind of its own, decides to help a young prisoner escape.

365 wanted5 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,807,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible