Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1) by Catherine…

Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Catherine Fisher

2,8621732,997 (3.74)1 / 106
Member:Lacey91
Title:Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1)
Authors:Catherine Fisher
Info:Dial (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Currently reading

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

English (170)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (172)
I had trouble keeping the plot straight - it's told in disjointed prose. But at the same time I couldn't put it down! ( )
  ErinMa | Feb 22, 2019 |
This books surface tried really, really hard to get me to dislike it. It came recommended from a trusted source, our local YA librarian, but I checked it out at the same time as the disappointing Boneshaker, the book design is pearlescent post-Twilight genre-gentrifying garbage, and, finally, I go to goodreads and discover Incarceron is considered steampunk. I have a difficulties with Steampunk, since it has a lot of potential, but turns out to be mostly window-dressing to an otherwise unremarkable story. Also, steampunk's fanbase is incredibly annoying.

But I should know by now to look past the surface of these things. If Incarceron gets more readership by appealing to that market, that's just fine. Because this is a classic slab of YA genre fiction. From the outset there isn't much doubt about how things will end up, but that's hardly the point. This is the kind of book I would have eaten up when I was younger and I can still appreciate just going headlong into a world and just going with it. No need for explanations, no detailed chronicling of how or why society was restructured, just the results: a world held to the standards of a pre-industrial Era and an unusual and permanent solution to crime and prisoners in the case of Incarceron.

Incarceron is an inescapable prison, no one knows its location and there is no communication with it, at some point in the past (the times change according to who is talking) a large portion of the world's population was sent there and sealed in. The system was meant to be self-sustaining and a utopian experiment. We all know how well those work. The plot focuses on Finn, a prisoner of Incarceron who can't remember his past, and Claudia, a girl heading into an arranged marriage she's prepared for all her life but desperately wants to avoid.

Thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Incarceron is one of the most beautifully written and descriptive books I have had the opportunity to read this year. The story is woven in a way that pulls you in so deeply, that even if you don't always grasp exactly what's going on at the moment, you still feel like you NEED to know what happens. In a world filled with so many predictable plots, Incarceron really glowed for me!

First off, I was enamored with the thought of a sentient prison. A prison that has a personality, one that can modify itself at a whim to keep its prisoners in check, what could be more horrifying? One of the things I love most about the genre of Speculative Fiction is the innate fear of technology that pervades it. Authors share with us worlds where technology is given so much leeway, that it ends up ruling us all. This prison is encompasses everything I love about the world of Speculative Fiction.

We follow Finn, a prisoner in this high tech prison, through his daily life and his plans for escape. I loved Finn. I felt so much more him throughout the entire story. A character capable of deep thought, constantly at war within himself to remember a life he may have had. A character who knows who he wants to be as a person, but is forced to mold himself differently in order to survive. Finn was the type of character that made me want to finish this story. I was invested in his fight, and I wanted him to succeed!

Completely different, but also so interesting, was the world of Claudia and Jared. "Protocol" brought an interesting spin to their world, trapping it forever in the Victorian Era. It was fascinating watching them play through this time period over and over each day, while around them technology was ever present in odd and hidden places. That, and I adore Claudia deeply! Her stubborn, stoic and intelligent demeanor really helped drive me through confusing parts of the book. I was always anxious to see what she would do next, since Claudia gets what Claudia wants.

Overall I think Incarceron is a fabulously written story! I admit at times it does get a bit heavy on description, and perhaps a little confusing, but in the long run the read is completely worth it. I found myself so immersed in vastly different worlds of Claudia and Finn that I was sad when the book ended. Long story short? I cannot wait for Sappique! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This was a really bizarre book. It actually took me quite a while to figure out what was going on, and I still think there are holes in the narrative. Incarceron is the name of a prison created for different reasons depending on who you ask (which is a nice commentary on our own prison system). However, this prison is unique in that it is sentient, keeping tabs on all its prisoners at all times. The creepiest part of the prison is that there is no entrance or escape. The population is born and will die in Incarceron, or better yet FROM Incarceron. The story centers around Finn, a "starseer" whose memories only go back a few years. Convinced he was born Outside, Finn, along with other stragglers, aim to make their escape. This story is really convoluted and their are multiple characters, each with his or her own motives, so I'm really trying to condense this. They receive unexpected help from Claudia, the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, who lives Outside. This is beginning to make less sense, so I suggest you simply read the book! ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Neither the beginning nor the end of this book made much sense, and I had to force myself to finish reading it. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |

Catherine Fisherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guest, Kim MaiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(chapter 1 page 5)

Who can chart the vastness of Incarceron?
Its halls and viaducts, its chasms?
Only the man who has known freedom
Can define his prison.
                             -Song of Sapphique
(chapter 2 page 15)

We will choose an Era from the past and re-create it.
We will make a world free from the anxiety of change!
It will be Paradise!
                                                 -King Endor's Decree
(chapter 3 page 28)

The experiment will be a bold one and there
may well be risks we have not foreseen. But
Incarceron will be a system of great complexity
and intelligence. There could be no kinder or
more compassionate guardian of its inmates.
                   -Project report; Martor Sapiens
(chapter 4 page 42)

Finally when all was ready, Martor convened
the council of the Sapienti and asked for
volunteers. They must be prepared to leave
family and friends forever. To turn their backs
on the green grass, the trees, the light of the sun.
Never again to see the stars.
    "We are the Wise," he said. "The responsibility
for success is ours. We must send our finest minds
to guide the inmates."
    At the appointed hour, as he approached the
chamber of the Gate, they say he murmured his
fear that it would be empty.
    He opened the door. Seventy men and women
were waiting for him. In great ceremony, they
entered the Prison.
    They were never seen again.
                                     -Tales of the Steel Wolf
(chapter 5 page 55)

There was a man and his mane was Sapphique.
Where he came from is a mystery. Some say he
was born of the Prison, grown from its stored
components. Some say he came from Outside,
because he alone of men returned there. Some
say he was not a man at all, but a creature
from those shining sparks lunatics see in dreams
and name the stars. Some say he was a liar and
a fool.
                                               -Legend of Sapphique
To Sheenagh Pugh
brilliant poet, wise webmistress.
Finn had been flung on his face and chained to the stone slabs of the transitway.
(page 50)

. . . As for the arrangement we spoke of before, it
is unfortunate, but great changes often require great
sacrifices. G has been kept aloof from others since
his father died; the people's grief will be real but
short-lived and we can contain it. It barely needs
saying that your part will be behind value to us.
When my son is King I can promise you all I . . .
(page 142)

My dear,
    You will have heard the good news that your
wedding is imminent. After waiting all these
years, I'm sure your excitement is as intense as
my own! Casper insisted on coming to escort you
here--such a romantic. What a handsome couple
you will make. From now on, my dear, you must
think of me as your loving mother.
                                                            Sia Regina

FIMMIA
FIMOS NEPOS
FINARA

FINN

Imagine a prison so vast that it contains cells and corridors, forests, cities and seas. Imagine a prisoner with no memory, sure he came from Outside - though the prison has been sealed for centuries and only one man has ever escaped. Imagine a girl in a manor house, in a society where time is forbidden, held in a 17th century world run by computers, doomed to an arranged marriage, tangled in an assassination plot she dreads and desires. One inside, one outside. But both imprisoned. Imagine Incarceron.

To free herself from an upcoming arranged marriage, Claudia, the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, a futuristic prison with a mind of its own, decides to help a young prisoner escape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible