Dealing With People You Can't Stand by Rick…

Dealing With People You Can't Stand

by Rick Brinkman

The Tank, The Sniper, The Grenade, The KnowItAll, The ThinksTheyKnowItAll; The Yes person, The Maybe person, The Nothing person, The No person, The Whiner; Get the task done, Get the task right, Get along with others, Get appreciation from people; Threatened intentions to the previous 4 tasks; From conflict to cooperation; What if people can't stand YOU? 8oz of prevention in phone calls, 8oz prevention in email; How to change YOUR attitude; ( )
  kimgroome | Nov 8, 2012 |
This was alright. I am not a huge fan of categorizing people and acting as if what works for one will work for all. And I guess if you need a book to tell you that being compassionate will help you to get along with people, maybe this is something you should check out. ( )
  MrsTalksTooMuch | Aug 19, 2011 |
When I first saw this book on a display at the library in my office, I was both intrigued and skeptical, but the intrigue won out when I requested it from the public library. I am rather stubborn and resistant to change, so I did not know how much of this book would actually help me. Still, you never know.

I must say that this book has been extremely informative and helpful. It presents ten different types of problem people and provides specific strategies for dealing with them. The authors show you what the motivation is behind each problem person's method of attack and provide concrete examples of situations where the various strategies are put into play. There is even an appendix with information on what to do when YOU are the problem person; for example, if you are a "Think-They-Know-It-All".

The language is straightforward and simple, although it is littered with rather too many "it's" where "its" is supposed to go. (Of course, I tend to argue that even one is too many...) And in the first part there are pockets where the writing becomes kind of children's-show-host-y as the writers guide you very, very carefully through each of the steps they discuss. The anecdotes and scenarios are all fairly good, with the exception of the quite-obviously-the-Beatles one where John and Paul debate accepting the offer to perform on the Ed Sullivan show. All of the shoehorned-in Beatles lyrics as dialogue were really, REALLY painful for me. It was more the excessiveness of it than anything else. Seriously, almost every single sentence was a Beatles lyric. Too much.

But these are just a few distractions. The substance of the book is quite satisfying, and I will be taking extensive notes for future reference. If you're interested in it, take a look. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 26, 2011 |
Examine ways to bring out the best in behavior in people who are at their worst. Learn how to identify 10 recognizable difficult behaviors and deal successfully with each of them.
  Emporia | Mar 29, 2010 |
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to read, but still gave some good tips. I actually had several types of people at my job who fit into the categories this book created. It helped me change my own communication with those people who were at first very difficult to deal with. ( )
  lsknightsr1 | Jan 7, 2009 |

The international bestseller--­­more than 500,000 copies sold!

With their 1994 international bestseller, Dealing with People You Can't Stand, Drs. Rick Brinkman and Rick Kirschner armed a civility-starved world with no-nonsense strategies for dealing with difficult people with tact and skill. Since then, cell phones, the Internet, voice mail, and other technological wonders designed to bring people closer together have only made it that much harder to avoid "people you can't stand;" even worse, they've also created exciting new ways for annoying people to realize their talent for being pains in the butt.

Updated and revised for the digital age, this new edition of Brinkman and Kirschner's bestselling guide shows readers how to successfully combat the whiners, grenades, tanks, snipers, close-talkers, pedants, and other rude, crude, and inconsiderate people who can ruin your day at work, in stores, on the street, in restaurants, at the movies, in waiting rooms, by fax, phone, and E-mail, and in cyberspace.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

This text aims to teach you how to combat whiners, grenades, tanks, and snipers who can ruin your day via e-mail. The authors have taken the dated material, and added new material based on questions from their seminar audiences and research they have been conducting for their training sessions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible