Woodstock by Sir Walter Scott

Woodstock (1826)

by Sir Walter Scott

I re-read Woodstock and found I'd quite forgotten how good it was. Full of ridiculous improbabilities, but how little that matters when a book has got atmosphere and gusto.
- from a 25 May 1941 letter to Arthur Greeves, in The collected letters of C.S. Lewis, volume II ( )
1 vote C.S._Lewis | Mar 29, 2009 |

Sir Walter Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Waddell, P. HatelyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Woodstock opens in farce, yet it is one of Scott's darkest novels. It deals with revolution, to Scott the most disturbing of all subjects: "it appears that every step we made towards liberty has but brought us in view of more terrific perils."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:36 -0400)

Woodstock is considered the darkest of Scott's novels, written during a period of great tumult in the author's life. Set during the English Civil War, the story imagines treachery, a love triangle, and the escape of Charles II in 1651, as well as his triumphant return to London eight years later.… (more)

Legacy Library: Sir Walter Scott

Sir Walter Scott has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sir Walter Scott's legacy profile.

See Sir Walter Scott's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible