Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve

Here Lies Arthur (original 2008; edition 2007)

by Philip Reeve

Member:booksandwine
Title:Here Lies Arthur
Authors:Philip Reeve
Info:Scholastic (2007), Hardcover, 304 pages

Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve (2008)

Recently added byPages_Aplenty, kerers, HCKLibrary, buckslib, private library, SunnyMissHolly, lamars

English (27)  Dutch (2)  All languages (29)
I loved this retelling of Arthur as kind of a brute, Merlin as his storyteller/ public relations huckster. the language of the writing itself was exquisite. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Philip Reeve's Here Lies Arthur is not my favourite retelling of the Arthurian story -- it's probably not even in the top ten -- but it is a fun version, and it's a quick and easy read. It's historical, rather than fantastical, and in the guts and gore school rather than any kind of romance. It references a lot of Arthurian legends, sometimes from several varying sources, with the spin that Arthur was a brute and Merlin his clever PR guy, with the help of some trickery. It feels a bit cursory at times -- e.g. the very brief references to 'Culhwch ac Olwen' -- but it is nice to see the range of sources, including the oldest ones, the Welsh ones.

I'm not sure how I feel about the narration. It changes tense a lot, obviously intentionally, but while the idea behind it makes sense, it wasn't seamless and invisible to me, so it wasn't always well executed. It was very jarring, a couple of times, though most of the time it didn't get too much in the way. The first person narrator is a little flat, at times, to me -- Myrddin's death got to me, yes, but the deaths of Gwenhwyfar and Bedwyr, who Gwyna was less ambivalent to than Myrddin, should have felt more raw, and they didn't. Actually, the parts with Myrddin were the best: I believed in him, and in his stories.

I like what Philip Reeve has done with the stories, and I will read more of his work, but I am picky about my Arthuriana. Cue a resounding silence where no one is surprised... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
"Here lies Arthur- King that was, that will be again."

-Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d'Arthur
For Geraldine McCaughrean
Even the woods are burning.

Gwyna is forced to flee her village, but when she is discovered hiding in the woods by Myrddin, a bard, he swears to protect her as long as she agrees to bind herself to his service while he transforms young Arthur into a heroic king.
Arthur and Merlin
as you've not seen them before:
with some cross-dressing.
(ed.pendragon)

Gwynna is just a girl who is forced to run when her village is attacked and burns to the ground. To her horror, she is discovered in the wood. But it is Myrddin the bard who has found her, a traveler and spinner of tales. He agrees to protect Gwynna if she will agree to be bound in service to him. Gwynna is frightened but intrigued-and says yes-for this Myrddin serves the young, rough, and powerful Arthur. In the course of their travels, Myrddin transforms Gwynna into the mysterious Lady of the Lake, a boy warrior, and a spy. It is part of a plot to transform Arthur from the leader of (con't)

(con'd from summary) a ragtag war band into King Arthur, the greatest hero of all time.

If Gwynna and Myrrdin's trickery is discovered, what will become of Gwynna? Worse, what will become of Arthur? Only the endless battling, the mighty belief of men, and the sheer cunning of one remarkable girl will tell.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:48 -0400)

When her village is attacked and burned, Gwyna seeks protection from the bard Myrddin, who uses Gwyna in his plan to transform young Arthur into the heroic King Arthur.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible