Clapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton

Clapton: The Autobiography (2007)

by Eric Clapton

★ ★ 1/2

************************************SPOILERS INCLUDED (But most likely nothing that you don't already know)****************************

This is a great read for music/jazz enthusiasts as it details Clapton's music experiences from the very beginning when he taught himself to play guitar by listening to Blues/Jazz records and copying what he heard... then he'd record it on his reel-to-reel until in his own mind he got it right.

He's not a braggart, he is not self-aggrandizing. In fact he comes off as rather low key & reserved. Throughout the book he's honest and doesn't hide. I found it to be interesting that at the point in time when he found out that the slogan "Clapton Is God" was written in the Islington Underground Station, he wasn't at all sure of himself nor of his worth as a guitar player. All he knew was that he wasn't interested in commercial rock n' roll, or pop rhythm & blues.... he was into the purity of Muddy Waters & Little Walter.

Reflecting upon his 21st birthday, Clapton says: "Looking back, it felt like I had closed the door on my past.......... It was if I was starting a brand-new life, where there was no room for any excess baggage. I was very confident of my capabilities and very aware that this was the key to my future. Hence I was extremely protective of my craft and ruthless in cutting away anything that stood in my path. It was not a path of ambition; I had no desire for fame or recognition. I just needed to be able to make the best music I could, with the tools that I had."

In looking back on the beginning, to his childhood he was pretty isolated and never formed any close bonds with anyone which is why most all of his relationships seem to have been short lived. He didn't talk much about his relationships in much detail or in a personal manner.... He played with & for most all the well known British groups, but didn't really seem to like being in a famous touring band or taking the lead. He especially did not like singing, he felt his voice was too high and never matured deeply enough. When things with his bands got too rough, he'd walk away and eventually start up again with a different group of musicians and form a new band.

I got the distinct impression that until he met Pattie Harrison, he really wasn't interested in any woman for having a long term relationship. The way he described his "love" relationships was that he'd meet a woman that he liked and she'd take him home & he'd move in with her until it was time for him to leave. After finally marrying Pattie, he began drinking & drugging for a second time and in so doing so caused Pattie to divorce him. He later had a son, who died in a tragic accident....

To many he may be a guitar-playing "God", but as a person I didn't find him to be very interesting. In fact, I found him to be a downer. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
If you want to read a book about rock stars behaving badly in the 60's and 70's do yourself a favor and read Keith Richard's book instead of this one. It lacks the humor and self-deprecation of Richards, and I ultimately got sick of the "yeah, I was an a-hole but it wasn't me it was the drugs/booze" shtick. ( )
  MBDudley | Feb 9, 2015 |
I never belonged to the "Clapton is God" cult but I have always respected him as one of the best blues musicians alive, which is actually saying quite a bit given the folks whose careers overlap with Clapton's. He doesn't write elegant prose, but I found myself learning to like the man behind the guitar as I read his autobiography. His single-minded devotion to playing music as well as he can comes through very clearly. As does the basically good human being behind the guitar. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my Grandmother Rose Amelia Clapp, and to my beloved wife Melia, and my children Ruth, Julie, Ella and Sophie.
Early in my childhood, when I was about six or seven, I beganto get the feeling that there was something different about me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076792536X, Paperback)

“I found a pattern in my behavior that had been repeating itself for years, decades even. Bad choices were my specialty, and if something honest and decent came along, I would shun it or run the other way.”

With striking intimacy and candor, Eric Clapton tells the story of his eventful and inspiring life in this poignant and honest autobiography. More than a rock star, he is an icon, a living embodiment of the history of rock music. Well known for his reserve in a profession marked by self-promotion, flamboyance, and spin, he now chronicles, for the first time, his remarkable personal and professional journeys.

Born illegitimate in 1945 and raised by his grandparents, Eric never knew his father and, until the age of nine, believed his actual mother to be his sister. In his early teens his solace was the guitar, and his incredible talent would make him a cult hero in the clubs of Britain and inspire devoted fans to scrawl “Clapton is God” on the walls of London’s Underground. With the formation of Cream, the world's first supergroup, he became a worldwide superstar, but conflicting personalities tore the band apart within two years. His stints in Blind Faith, in Delaney and Bonnie and Friends, and in Derek and the Dominos were also short-lived but yielded some of the most enduring songs in history, including the classic “Layla.”

During the late sixties he played as a guest with Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan, as well as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and longtime friend George Harrison. It was while working with the latter that he fell for George’s wife, Pattie Boyd, a seemingly unrequited love that led him to the depths of despair, self-imposed seclusion, and drug addiction. By the early seventies he had overcome his addiction and released the bestselling album 461 Ocean Boulevard, with its massive hit “I Shot the Sheriff.” He followed that with the platinum album Slowhand, which included “Wonderful Tonight,” the touching love song to Pattie, whom he finally married at the end of 1979. A short time later, however, Eric had replaced heroin with alcohol as his preferred vice, following a pattern of behavior that not only was detrimental to his music but contributed to the eventual breakup of his marriage.
In the eighties he would battle and begin his recovery from alcoholism and become a father. But just as his life was coming together, he was struck by a terrible blow: His beloved four-year-old son, Conor, died in a freak accident. At an earlier time Eric might have coped with this tragedy by fleeing into a world of addiction. But now a much stronger man, he took refuge in music, responding with the achingly beautiful “Tears in Heaven.”

Clapton is the powerfully written story of a survivor, a man who has achieved the pinnacle of success despite extraordinary demons. It is one of the most compelling memoirs of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

The legendary guitarist recounts the story of his life and his career, recalling his work with the Yardbirds, Cream, and as a solo artist; years of drug and alcohol abuse; failed marriage to Patti Boyd; and the accidental death of his young son.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible