Clapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton

Clapton: The Autobiography (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Eric Clapton (Author)

The legendary guitarist recounts the story of his life and his career, recalling his work with the Yardbirds, Cream, and as a solo artist; years of drug and alcohol abuse; failed marriage to Patti Boyd; and the accidental death of his young son.
Member:mamarracq
Title:Clapton: The Autobiography
Authors:Eric Clapton (Author)
Info:Crown Archetype (2007), Edition: First, 352 pages

Clapton: The Autobiography by Eric Clapton (2007)

English (33)  French (1)  All languages (34)
I've never been a fan of blues music but I once read that Clapton was the best guitarist ever. That's questionable. His memoir is little more than a resume, a list of bands he played with, guitars he bought, albums he made, money he made, women he shagged. It's honest, as far as can be remembered through an alcoholic haze, but reveals him as shallow and selfish. If you are looking for a book about just how drunk a person can get, or how stoned, destructive, arrogant, abusive they can be, then this is for you.

It's difficult to rate this, Clapton was such an insufferable person making the vacuous content of little value, but the unremarkable writing (co-written by Clapton's friend Christopher Sykes) pushes it up to 2.5 stars. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 5, 2020 |
As candid and honest he is in this book, i wish i had not read it, wish i coulda kept my head stuck in the sand. Clapton is a magical musician, yes, and i idolized him, yes, AND this book popped my bubble of making a human into a god...... Not only is he not nearly god-like but he openly admits his faults and talks about just how human he is!
Take away his guitar and who do you have? Even he does not know. I give the book 5 stars for its writing and its honesty about who he was and is. Self-absorbed and closed off only Clapton knows his own truths. ( )
  linda.marsheells | Sep 2, 2018 |
One of my earliest and fondest memories as a child is listening to the song, "Layla" on cassette with my brother over and over again. We would play it and rewind it so many times until we finally busted the cassette. It was our Dad's and he was really mad, but it was one of the first songs that introduced me to Eric Clapton. My love of his guitar playing was born then, and has never ceased since. Clapton is brutally honest in this memoir and leaves no stone unturned. Even though many consider him a music god (me included), it is safe to say that Clapton is a very troubled and controversial figure. There were many times during the book where I couldn't contain my anger towards him, especially when he discussed his various addictions and the way he treated the women in his life. Nevertheless, the music is what I keep coming back to, and what ultimately save his life in the end as well. This is definitely and eye-opening read and a true treasure for all rock fans. I am thankful that this man instilled within me a love of blues rock and made my childhood music experience as great as it was. Now excuse me while I listen to his nasty guitar solos on "Crossroads" yet again! ( )
  rsplenda477 | Jun 18, 2018 |
I have rather mixed feelings about this book.

I picked it up out of mix of necessity and curiosity. Seeing how Clapton was contemporary to the fellow I'm writing about, I thought the book might offer some insight into the rock star life throughout the sixties and beyond. In this book, I did get what I came for. Clapton did a good job of explaining what it was like growing up poor in post-war Britain and what sort of life was lead. Similarly, Clapton did a good job of explaining just how extravagant the rockstar lifestyle could be.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely certain the book ever flowed. The prose was wooden, hints of personality coming through rather scathing insight. The book came off feeling more like part of the twelve-step programs Clapton went through than an actual reminiscence about life itself. Only at the very beginning and the ending prior to the epilogue did I feel I got insight into his personality.

Personally, I would view the autobiography as more of a primer than a true biography. While it was from the horse's mouth, I feel it wasn't the most engaging or informative read possible. Use it for the bullet points, but to get the true image of Clapton, seek elsewhere.

And if you want a view of post-war Britain, just read the first chapter. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Interesting ( )
  aljosa95 | Mar 27, 2018 |
This book is dedicated to my Grandmother Rose Amelia Clapp, and to my beloved wife Melia, and my children Ruth, Julie, Ella and Sophie.
Early in my childhood, when I was about six or seven, I began to get the feeling that there was something different about me.
(p44) It was at the Marquee that I first came across John Mayall, ... playing in a trio with bassist Jack Bruce and drummer Ginger Baker. (not dated in book, but follows on from previous paragraph with date 25 July 1963 for his first band, The Roosters, final gig at the Marquee)
(p50) (1964) On my guitar, I used light-gauge strings, with a very thin first string, which made it easier to bend the notes, and it was not uncommon, during the most frenetic bits of playing, for me to break at least one string. During the pause while I was changing my strings, the frenzied audience would often break into a slow handclap, inspiring Giorgio (Gomelsky - proprietor of the Crawdaddy Club and The Yardbirds' manager) to dream up the nickname of 'Slowhand' Clapton.
(p71) Returning to England in late October 1965, I found that my place in the Bluesbreakers had been filled by a brilliant guitarist called Peter Green, ... He was not happy to see me, as it meant rather a sudden end to what had obviously been a good gig for him. One change that didn't particularly surprise me was to find that (John) McVie had finally been given the boot, and had been replaced by Jack Bruce. He stayed for only a few weeks before moving on to join Manfred Mann ... but doing those few gigs, we had a chance to take stock of one another.
(p76 - 81) Though I was happy with the Bluesbreakers, I was also beginning to get restless, nurturing somewhere inside me thoughts of being a frontman, ... So when Ginger Baker, the drummer from the Graham Bond Organisation, came to see me and talked about forming a new band, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. The Bluesbreakers were playing a gig in Oxford when Ginger first came to see me. I'd seen him down at the Marquee, ... but didn't know much about him. ... I was very flattered that he was interested in me. ... That night, after the gig, (March 1966 - date unconfirmed) he offered me a lift back to London. ... He told me he was thinking of forming a band, and asked if I'd be interested in joining. I said I'd think about it, but that I'd only be really interested if Jack Bruce was involved. He almost crashed the car. ... He agreed to go away and have a think about it. ... the very first time that the three of us got together, in March 1966, in the front room of Ginger's house in Neasden, they (Ginger and Jack) started arguing right away. ... But when we started to play together, it all just turned to magic. ... we all looked at each other and grinned. ... Over the next few months we continued to rehearse secretly, ... Then (in 11 June 1966 issue) Ginger let the cat out of the bag by giving an interview to Chris Welch of Melody Maker ... Our next step was to think of a name for the band, and I came up with Cream, for the very simple reason that in all our minds we were the cream of the crop, the elite in our respective domains. ... our first proper gig, at my old stamping ground, the Twisted Wheel in Manchester, was on 29 July, the night before the (1966 World Cup) final.
(p97) (Sept/Oct 1967 - New York) ... Ahmet said to me, 'I want you to go in there and play on this song,' ... I felt so nervous, because I couldn't read music, ... Aretha (Franklin) came in and sang a song ... and I played lead guitar.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible