Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin

Giggle, Giggle, Quack (edition 2002)

by Doreen Cronin, Betsy Lewin (Illustrator)

Member:Tryante
Title:Giggle, Giggle, Quack
Authors:Doreen Cronin
Other authors:Betsy Lewin (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2002), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture book, farm animals, fantasy

Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin

I liked this one maybe more than Click, Clack, Moo, Cows That Type.
Farmer Brown has went on vacation, and leaves his brother Bob to take care of the animals. He also tells Bob to watch Duck, because he's never up to any good. Had a good chuckle from this one. The kids loved it.
The artstyle was a little messier than in the first book.
Happy Reading Kids! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Daughter got a kick out of this one. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
I love it! My daughter wanted me to read it again. I hope we can read the rest of the books in the series. I love Duck!!!!!!! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another Farmer brown book By Doreen Cronin. Farmer brown goes out of town leaving his brother in charge of all of his animals. Farmer brown left his brother a note with very detailed instructions on what to do with the animals and their care. The funny thing is, Duck found a pencil and re wrote the letter so that the farm animals could have anything they wanted. Brother Bob fallows the notes, and finally farmer brown realizes that Duck had gotten into is usually naughty business again. Farmer Brown came home early from his vacation. It was a comical story with great illustrations. ( )
  anita.curry | Dec 8, 2013 |
This was a very cute book, and I liked it. I liked that the illustrations gave clues to what was happening in the story before the text explained it. For example, you can see Duck with a pencil, so you can predict that he's the one writing the silly notes, but it isn't apparent in the text until the last page. I also liked that the animals were personified. Ducks can't actually write, but by having the duck writing notes, the hens eating pizza, and the cows watching a movie with popcorn, it makes the book very funny and adds to its genre of modern fantasy. The main idea of this story is to be weary of those you are warned about, because they just may outsmart you! ( )
  bphill5 | Sep 19, 2013 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewin, BetsyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Andrew -D.C.
For Rosanne Lauer -B.L.
Farmer Brown was going on vacation.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689845065, Hardcover)

The crafty barnyard crew from Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type is back, and this time Farmer Brown has decided to take a vacation. But not to worry--he's leaving his brother Bob to mind the farm: "I wrote everything down for you. Just follow my instructions and everything will be fine. But keep an eye on Duck. He's trouble." Of course, fans of Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewin's last brilliant book already know to keep an eye on that manipulative mallard. Now, wait a minute... what's Duck doing eyeing that pencil?

Poor Bob has no idea what he's in for, and Duck and friends have shrewdly seized this chance to move on from collective bargaining to outright subterfuge: "Bob gave Duck a good long stare and went inside. He read the first note: 'Tuesday night is pizza night (not the frozen kind!). The hens prefer anchovies.'" Well, seems like strange way to run a farm, but... "Twenty-nine minutes later there was hot pizza in the barn." Giggle, giggle, quack, indeed.

Clearly, Duck and his cow pals aren't the only ones around to have mastered the pencil and the keyboard. Cronin and Lewin have put their talents to good use yet again, offering up another simple but clever story fit for kids and grownups alike. Lewin seems to snicker throughout her playful watercolors (gotta love those monogrammed towels: "FB"), and Cronin has a ball with the animal cast and their human patsy. (What do the cows pick on movie night? "The Sound of Moosic," of course. Giggle, giggle, moo.) (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:38 -0400)

When Farmer Brown goes on vacation, leaving his brother Bob in charge, Duck makes trouble by changing all his instructions to notes the animals like much better.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible