Noche eterna by Agatha Christie

Noche eterna (original 1967; edition 1986)

by Agatha Christie

Member:Pinkiland
Title:Noche eterna
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Barcelona : Molino , D.L. 1986
Tags:Aventuras, Misterio, Suspense

Endless Night by Agatha Christie (1967)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (arielfl)
    arielfl: Another story about a psychopath who believes he deserves the good life and will go to any ends, including murder, to achieve it.

English (41)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (48)
Every Night & every Morn
Some to Misery are Born
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to sweet delight
Some are Born to Endless Night
– from Auguries of Innocence, by William Blake

This is probably one of the creepier Agatha Christie novels I’ve ever read, and perhaps that’s why I wasn’t a huge fan. The mixture of psychological suspense, obsession with architecture, disturbing passion, and that crazy twist at the end … it’s definitely not what you expect from a typical Christie. And that’s ok. It just wasn’t exactly my cup of Earl Grey tea. For much of the book, I didn’t know where the story was going, and I certainly disliked Michael Rodgers as the narrator. Add to that the creepy poem (quoted above) that is sung by one of the main characters at different points throughout the book, and you have a recipe for an eerie thriller.

Endless Night is considered one of Christie’s best, and in fact, is one of her own favorite works. It’s worth the read, but don’t expect it to be Agatha Christie business as usual!

Read more Agatha Christie reviews on my blog at bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Superb, one of the best Christie's I've read, far exceeding any of her more famous detective stories.

For a long time it's not at all clear what the 'crime' or the title blurbs "most devastating suspense ever" is going to be. The hero is one Michael Rogers, a bit of a layabout. He's from a poor upbringing with a mother who worked hard to provide the best he could. Michael's never been quite so committed or keen on the hard work bit, and lived pretty much hand to mouth, doing odd jobs for a few months before moving on to something new. He's always had an eye for a bargain and looking smart, and an easy way with the girls. The story starts with Mike having just abandoned his last job, and sauntering through a village somewhere in the SE. He see's a house up for auction and wanders along to have a look. The sale falls through failing to reach the reserve due apparently to buyers nervous of a lingering gypsy curse. Mike day dreams what he's do with such a property, and happens to recall that he knows a famous architect who could do the job right proper. He strolls off to have a look at the grounds and there he chances into a young and pretty american girl who has escaped her chaperones for brief while. Ellie and Mike make an instant connection and arrange to meet again. And again. Only after Mike's proposed to her does Ellie reveal that she's a rich american heiress, shortly to be come into her inheritance. She's already bought the house where they met, and Mike arranges for his friend to build them a dream home. Only the occasional warning from the local gypsy sours the mood. Even the rest of Elie's family, condensending to the local bumpkin she's married can't spoil a good thing. Ellie is particularly delighted when her long-time maid Greta comes to stay, although Mike is less keen.

The style is very light and totally different to Christies' other works. Mike has a simple voice he knows what he likes and carefree to admit what he doesn't know or understand. It's a refreshing and easy reading style full of gentle good humour. The setting is never clear, but sometime probably in the 60s boom when the nation was feeling good, but old traditions continued especially in the more remote villages. I don't quite know when the practice of having staff in the house faded away, but both Ellie and Mike take it for granted that there should be some.

You're a more astute reader than me if you spot the antagonist before the reveal. But in many ways it doesn't matter as the lilting style is so enjoyable. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | Feb 15, 2019 |
Rating: 4* of five

I am always sad when I think of this book. Dame Agatha was already in decline due to dementia when, in six short weeks, she flowered this novel. It is the last true Christie tale in the sense that it demonstrates her strengths more clearly than her diminishing powers would ever allow again. That is why I give it four stars.

The story is unremarkable, and in lesser hands would be a tedious oft-told tale. But stop a moment when you feel your eyes start to roll and hold this thought: One of mystery fiction's greats (like her work or not, she was indeed a great writer) wrote this, her last lucid writing, before sliding down a slope we all hope we'll never see up close.

Join The Guardian's November 2018 group read if you have never read this tale before. It is an experience best shared with fellow Agathans. ( )
1 vote richardderus | Nov 11, 2018 |
A pair of newlyweds, from vastly different class backgrounds, take up residence at their new estate – only to find that the past is coming back to haunt them…

"Endless Night" is Agatha Christie’s most haunting novel, and one that has remained in my mind since I first read it many, many years ago. A young man of limited means meets a young heiress, and the two marry and attempt to settle down. But rumblings from the past, mysterious and potentially supernatural occurrences and, ultimately, murder, contrive to ruin their love. All of this is set amidst an atmosphere of fear and foreboding on their estate.

Outside of the early Hastings stories (which were a self-conscious nod to the Sherlock Holmes books), Christie rarely used first-person narration. Here, though, there’s a powerful melancholy to our narrator’s tale from day one which reminds me of Daphne DuMaurier’s Rebecca. This ominous tinge in narrative voice is echoed tenfold by the creepy atmosphere that pervades every scene and moment, setting "Endless Night" apart from the rest of Christie’s canon (except, perhaps from "And Then There Were None", although I can’t really explain why the two novels’ vibes feel similar to me.)

To my mind, "Endless Night" is the best Christie work of the 1960s. Perhaps, freed from the agile plotting required for a Poirot or Marple novel (a task at which she was slightly struggling in her later years), Christie could use the character-building skills that had matured over five decades of writing. Dame Agatha plays around considerably with mystery tropes in this work, and her red herrings here are exquisitely positioned. Even the ‘nursery rhyme’ technique (here a William Blake poem) plays both subtly and powerfully. Christie had used variations on this novel’s twist in the past but – as with all her better works – you still won’t see it coming. ( )
1 vote therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Endless Night by Agatha Christie
Michael Rogers, the narrator of [Endless Night], is penniless young Englishman, unemployed by choice. Nevertheless, he has quite expensive taste. Walking by a shop, he sees a painting he admires in the window and stops in to find out the price. He assumes it will be several hundred pounds, which he doesn't have, and is surprised that the price is 25,000 pounds. Still, he'd like to have it.

Visiting a small town, he reads a notice of a property auction, views the derelict structure from a distance, admires the terrain, and wants to own it. No money he has, of course. Strolling out along a country road to better see the property, he practically runs into an attractive young woman who is scanning the same landscape. Michael is smitten and cautiously tries to befriend her and quite quickly succeeds. As their stroll continues, an old woman confronts them, telling the property is cursed; everyone connected with it are injured or maimed or die in accidents. Run away, run away, she screeches. Michael blows off the threats as superstition.

The young woman, her name is Ellie Goodman, soon reveals to Michael that she's an heiress; in a few weeks, she'll turn 21, and at that age, she inherits astonishing wealth from her grandfather. Other obvious heirs—parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins—are deceased. It's a fantasy! Ellie loves Michael despite his indigence and she's able and more than willing to indulge his every whim. The property, known as Gipsy Acre (yes, it is far, far more than one acre), is bought, a gifted architect designs a magnificent house and supervises its construction, and they move in. Life is good!

Issues intrude. Business advisors seem vaguely skeptical of Michael, suspicious. He lacks ambition, lacks a work ethic. He's a loner. Ellie has an assistant, Greta, who seems to run her life; Michael is seemingly suspicious—or jealous—of her. He doesn't want to even meet Greta, and he's decidedly opposed to her continued employment. Likewise, he doesn't want Ellie to meet his mother, and he is miffed when she shows up at Gipsy Acre. He's more miffed when she tells him that Ellie visited her. The newlyweds meet several locals and discover curious, mystifying connections. Trouble intrudes. On their first night in their new house, a rock is thrown through a window. Minor vandalism damages the house.

And it just might be that the gipsy curse is true.

Published in 1968, four years before Christie's death, Endless Night is, according to The Guardian's John Curran, "the best novel from her last 20 years." No Poirot, no Miss Marple. An excellent—and horrifying— story. Two thumbs up!
  weird_O | Oct 29, 2018 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Margalef Llambrich, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are born to Sweet Delight.
Some are born to Sweet Delight,
Some are born to Endless Night.

William Blake
Auguries of Innocence
To Nora Prichard, from whom I first heard the legend of Gipsy's Acre
In my end is my beginning. . . . That's a quotation I've often heard people say.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981384, Mass Market Paperback)

Strapped by a chauffeur's wages, Michael Rogers' want of a better life seems out of reach. Especially elusive is a magnificent piece of property in Kingston Bishop--unil a chance meeting with a beautiful heiress makes his dreams possible. Marrying her is the first step. Building the perfect home is the next. Unfortunately, Michael ignored the local warnings about the deadly curse buried in the tract of land, and living out his dreams may exact a higher price than he ever imagined. Praised as one of Agatha Christie's most unusual forays into gothic, psychological suspense, this novel of fate, chance, and the nature of evil was a personal favorite of the author's as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

The site of the house called The Towers had once been known as Gipsy's Acre. It was there that Michael Rogers first met a wealthy American oil heiress, Fenella Guteman, whom he was later to marry. Gypsies' warnings, and revelation of a crime follow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,510,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible