Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Endless Night (original 1967; edition 2002)

by Agatha Christie

Title:Endless Night
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Minotaur Books (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages

Endless Night by Agatha Christie (1967)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (arielfl)
    arielfl: Another story about a psychopath who believes he deserves the good life and will go to any ends, including murder, to achieve it.

English (29)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
Fairly decent, but misproportioned late (1967) Christie. Got to hand it to her: she writes the narrative in the voice of an ingratiating young working-class drifter and actually pulls it off. The plot is a bit creaky with its gypsy curses etc. & the first 2/3 has its longeurs ("endless," indeed), but the strategies of deception are classic Christie.

I listened to the audiobook, read by Hugh Fraser (Hastings from TV's Poirot), and it was really delightful. Fraser manages the different characters like a champ. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
Spooky and awesome.
Psychological slow thriller.
its the one book you'll remember for a long time. ( )
  Shivam_Singh | Sep 5, 2015 |
An easy, fun read - had Christie been watching Hitchcock?

Heightened, early-1960s dialogue and all the tropes of the chiller-thriller help to make for a page-turning and ultimately gut-wrenching experience - though quite incredible, of course! ( )
  jtck121166 | Jun 11, 2015 |
I thought I owned and had read every Agatha Christie book, but somehow I missed this one. It's quite unlike her other work. The first 3/4 of the book is about the main character's relationship, courtship, and marriage, then boom! Typically Christie plot twist. All of the pieces fell together. She really was the master of mystery. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
One of the most genuiniely creepy mysteries I have ever read, I got very tense for the last 30 or so pages and I really couldn't put it down.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are born to Sweet Delight.
Some are born to Sweet Delight,
Some are born to Endless Night.

William Blake
Auguries of Innocence
To Nora Prichard, from whom I first heard the legend of Gipsy's Acre
In my end is my beginning. . . . That's a quotation I've often heard people say.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981384, Mass Market Paperback)

Strapped by a chauffeur's wages, Michael Rogers' want of a better life seems out of reach. Especially elusive is a magnificent piece of property in Kingston Bishop--unil a chance meeting with a beautiful heiress makes his dreams possible. Marrying her is the first step. Building the perfect home is the next. Unfortunately, Michael ignored the local warnings about the deadly curse buried in the tract of land, and living out his dreams may exact a higher price than he ever imagined. Praised as one of Agatha Christie's most unusual forays into gothic, psychological suspense, this novel of fate, chance, and the nature of evil was a personal favorite of the author's as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Michael Rogers and Ellie Guteman, a wealthy American oil heiress, meet at Gipsy Acres and marry, despite the warnings of a fortuneteller.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible