Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Endless Night (original 1967; edition 2002)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ApresMoiLeDeluge
Title:Endless Night
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Minotaur Books (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:mystery

Endless Night by Agatha Christie (1967)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (arielfl)
    arielfl: Another story about a psychopath who believes he deserves the good life and will go to any ends, including murder, to achieve it.

English (33)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (40)
Agatha Christie is one of my favorite authors, so I never thought I'd find a book by her I didn't like... Well, this is it: this is the only book she wrote so far I could not finish! The main character endlessly (pun intended!) subjects us to his inner thoughts. His most constant yearning is to find a girl and build himself a special house in which they are to live. Doesn't seem so silly, does it? Well, after the tenth time you read it you will feel like throwing the book at the wall. He constantly revolves on this single subject, going on and on, a spiral of irritating, repetitive sameness. The reader is subjected to excruciatingly long passages of soliloquy, that lead nowhere. I don't read Christie's books for her deep analysis of characters, and, frankly, I don't care for this kind of writing, so I gave up after twenty pages. Read at your own peril! ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
"I’d no real idea that that wasn’t all there was to it. I suppose it happens to everyone sooner or later and it happens suddenly. You don’t think as you imagine you’re going to think: ‘This might be the girl for me… This is the girl who is going to be mine.’ At least, I didn’t feel it that way. I didn’t know that when it happened it would happen quite suddenly. That I would say: ‘That’s the girl I belong to. I’m hers. I belong to her, utterly, for always.’ No. I never dreamed it would be like that. Didn’t one of the old comedians say once– wasn’t it one of his stock jokes? ‘I’ve been in love once and if I felt it coming on again I tell you I’d emigrate.’ It was the same with me. If I had known, if I had only known what it could all come to mean I’d have emigrated too! If I’d been wise, that is."

Endless Night is one of Dame Agatha's lesser known novels. However, it is easily one of her best.

The narrator describes this story as a love story but it is clear from the outset - and obviously knowing that it is an AC story - that not all is well and that there are powers conspiring against the main characters. It is for the reader to follow the narrator into the story of Gipsy's Acre, his story.

I'm not going to give anything away here but just want to say that this book had me hooked and led me down the garden path right until the very end. And for someone who is quick to describe Dame Agatha's mysteries as formulaic, this is not easy to admit. Well, ok, it is. I enjoyed every minute of being mislead by this story.

"In my end is my beginning…That’s a quotation I’ve often heard people say. It sounds all right– but what does it really mean? Is there ever any particular spot where one can put one’s finger and say: ‘It all began that day, at such a time and such a place, with such an incident?’ " ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
It's always interesting to read the books that Christie wrote that don't center around her regular characters. This book creeped me out right from the beginning in a Wilkie Collins "Woman in White" sort of way. Christie nails that quality of fear when nothing at all is happening. This book however, had a twist that really threw me. Great book! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Mike meets the girl of his dreams, and they find a house they both love. But they are warned away by gipsies... the book takes a shocking turn, and has a very odd ending. Not one that appealed to me much at all, though as usual with Agatha Christie it was fairly compulsive reading. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Fairly decent, but misproportioned late (1967) Christie. Got to hand it to her: she writes the narrative in the voice of an ingratiating young working-class drifter and actually pulls it off. The plot is a bit creaky with its gypsy curses etc. & the first 2/3 has its longeurs ("endless," indeed), but the strategies of deception are classic Christie.

I listened to the audiobook, read by Hugh Fraser (Hastings from TV's Poirot), and it was really delightful. Fraser manages the different characters like a champ. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Margalef Llambrich, RamónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are born to Sweet Delight.
Some are born to Sweet Delight,
Some are born to Endless Night.

William Blake
Auguries of Innocence
To Nora Prichard, from whom I first heard the legend of Gipsy's Acre
In my end is my beginning. . . . That's a quotation I've often heard people say.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981384, Mass Market Paperback)

Strapped by a chauffeur's wages, Michael Rogers' want of a better life seems out of reach. Especially elusive is a magnificent piece of property in Kingston Bishop--unil a chance meeting with a beautiful heiress makes his dreams possible. Marrying her is the first step. Building the perfect home is the next. Unfortunately, Michael ignored the local warnings about the deadly curse buried in the tract of land, and living out his dreams may exact a higher price than he ever imagined. Praised as one of Agatha Christie's most unusual forays into gothic, psychological suspense, this novel of fate, chance, and the nature of evil was a personal favorite of the author's as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

Michael Rogers and Ellie Guteman, a wealthy American oil heiress, meet at Gipsy Acres and marry, despite the warnings of a fortuneteller.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,796,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible