Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Endless Night (original 1967; edition 2002)

by Agatha Christie

Member:ApresMoiLeDeluge
Title:Endless Night
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Minotaur Books (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:mystery

Endless Night by Agatha Christie (1967)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (Anonymous user)
    The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (arielfl)
    arielfl: Another story about a psychopath who believes he deserves the good life and will go to any ends, including murder, to achieve it.

English (24)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (29)
Well-written but quite different from Christie's typical mysteries. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 17, 2014 |
More Poe than Agatha Christie in atmosphere. Definitely not a cozy mystery. It was okay, but nothing more. ( )
  njcur | Mar 23, 2014 |
This is one of the Christie titles that I really don't think I have read before. I've certainly seen at least one TV or film version, even the one that recently introduced Miss Marple as an extra character. I thought poor Miss Marple was put in extraordinary danger and had her physical powers fully tested in that one. As a general rule I don't like these plot modifications.
ENDLESS NIGHT was however written as a stand-alone and in it Agatha Christie returns to the writing exercises of the unreliable narrator, and exploring the mind of the psychotic killer.
The author does not really play fair with the reader, because we don't ever get the full picture all at once. Little bits are left unexplained. Ellie's American relatives are portrayed to us by the narrator, Ellie's husband Michael Rogers, as predatory and untrustworthy, and there are characters like Michael's mother, who could have explained so much, who remain elusive and shadowy, because Michael does not want us to meet them.
Divided into four books, the novel takes quite a long time to build up to Ellie's death, and then the events that follow. There is an almost Gothic quality to the story: American heiress, quick marriage in defiance of her advisor's wishes, cursed land, gypsy woman who tries to scare the heiress.
An enjoyable read, part of my quest to complete the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge. ( )
  smik | Mar 21, 2014 |
The whole time I was reading this I felt edgy, like something was off. I kept waiting for that nasty surprise to pop out of the closet and make me wet my pants.

It didn't pop out of the closet. It crept up, unawares, until the last chapter, where it proceeded to throttle me.

I don't like books where the main character is the badguy. Especially this bad guy. He was lazy, ego-centric, selfish and the image presented by himself to the readers just didn't quite add up, until the end, where suddenly it all made sense.

Of course, his complete collapse didn't fit in with his personality and how he'd reacted earlier in life. Oh well, Christie can make her characters act how she wants them to. :) ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
One of the chief pleasures of reading Agatha Christie--and it's been many years since I've picked her up--is her style, which a friend once described as "well-tailored." I liked that description because reading Christie is something like admiring a well-made, understated suit coat--serviceable brown wool but of unobjectionable quality, seams that conform to the body, padding that enhances without distorting, no loose threads, no bags in the lining, no bunching when you bend over, something that would hold its own among more fashionable or flashy items of the same kind.

Read the rest at: http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2013/09/i-explore-psychopathy-with-agatha.html ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Sep 26, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are born to Sweet Delight.
Some are born to Sweet Delight,
Some are born to Endless Night.

William Blake
Auguries of Innocence
To Nora Prichard, from whom I first heard the legend of Gipsy's Acre
In my end is my beginning ... That's a quotation I've often heard people say.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981384, Mass Market Paperback)

Strapped by a chauffeur's wages, Michael Rogers' want of a better life seems out of reach. Especially elusive is a magnificent piece of property in Kingston Bishop--unil a chance meeting with a beautiful heiress makes his dreams possible. Marrying her is the first step. Building the perfect home is the next. Unfortunately, Michael ignored the local warnings about the deadly curse buried in the tract of land, and living out his dreams may exact a higher price than he ever imagined. Praised as one of Agatha Christie's most unusual forays into gothic, psychological suspense, this novel of fate, chance, and the nature of evil was a personal favorite of the author's as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:58 -0400)

Michael Rogers and Ellie Guteman, a wealthy American oil heiress, meet at Gipsy Acres and marry, despite the warnings of a fortuneteller.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible