dismiss

England in the Eighteenth Century by J.H.…

England in the Eighteenth Century (original 1950; edition 1963)

by J.H. Plumb

This history of England in the 18th century is not a chronological narrative of ministries and wars, but a history of the development of English society; the ministries and wars, of course, have their place, but no greater a place than the economic, cultural, and social history of the time. The book is divided into three parts: the ages of Walpole, of Chatham, and of Pitt.… (more)
Member:konallis
Title:England in the Eighteenth Century
Authors:J.H. Plumb
Info:Penguin Books (1963), Paperback
Tags:history, 18th century, read 2010

England in the Eighteenth Century by J. H. Plumb (1950)

Wonderful. I should read more survey books of this kind. It left me wanting to read more about British politics in the period as well as about the Napoleonic wars. ( )
  jcvogan1 | Dec 1, 2019 |
Written in 1950, this is an introduction to the period for educated people. So names are used as if you should know who they are. I think when it was written that would have been alright, today it isn't, sadly. Having said that I did learn things so it was worth reading and it's only 224 pages long. ( )
  bookmarkaussie | Nov 1, 2018 |
I think this short book is very good. It is interesting, it highlights important developments and it contains the author's thoughtful judgments on the key personalities and institutions. ( )
  drsabs | Jun 2, 2013 |
I read this book for a general overview of the eighteenth century before I launched into my reading for my qualifying exams, which spanned 1780 to 1925. Some specific background knowledge on the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries seemed like it would be worthwhile. This book was maybe not all that I hoped; Plumb seemed to assume a level of general knowledge with the era's politics that I simply did not possess, as the whole book was organized around three principal prime ministers who were referred to as though I was already an expert. So it was okay, but I find that I've already forgotten much of the knowledge it contained. (Maybe I should have taken notes as I read?)
  Stevil2001 | Mar 7, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,648,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible