The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window…

The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Steven Pinker

Member:rachelowitz
Title:The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature
Authors:Steven Pinker
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages

The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature by Steven Pinker (Author) (2007)

English (29)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
I had borrowed this and needed to return it, so I only read about 5 chapters. Fun to read, though a bit pedantic and repetitious. More useful for entertainment or for discovering funny anecdotes- the social relevance seems obvious. I think I may watch more of Pinckers Youtube videos as they are just as insightful but in smaller and less time-consuming more easily digestible chunks. ( )
  keithostertag | Sep 11, 2018 |
Too tedious but informative ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |
Not nearly as good as the Blank Slate or How the Mind Works. If you are very interested in linguistics and what it reveals about how we think, then have a try at this one. I'm about half way through and some chapters are slow, but the content is very deep and original. ( )
  fliesbath | Oct 26, 2015 |
This book really made me think about thought and about human language. I especially enjoyed the chapter on profanity. Admittedly, some parts of the book were dry for my tastes but in a lot of places, the author made some very good analyses and seemed to show some real insight. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
This is an interesting book. I always benefit from Pinker's insights on science and the general world. But I think this book lacks a cohesive element to it that his other books have achieved. ( )
  TJWilson | May 19, 2014 |
Linguistic determinism is just one of the foes Pinker takes on. He engages with a number of rival theories of language. Sometimes he cuts a few argumentative corners in the interests of mounting a persuasive case. Still, it is not hard to forgive him. He may be partisan, but he is never boring. And he does know a lot about words.

For Rebecca
Preface
There is a theory of space and time embedded in the way we use words.
On September 11, 2001, at 8:46 A.M., a hijacked airliner crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York.

"New York Times" bestselling author Steven Pinker possesses that rare combination of scientific aptitude and verbal eloquence that enables him to provide lucid explanations of deep and powerful ideas. His previous books?including the Pulitzer Prize finalist "The Blank Slate"?have catapulted him into the limelight as one of today's most important and popular science writers.
Now, in "The Stuff of Thought," Pinker marries two of the subjects he knows best: language and human nature. The result is a fascinating look at how our words explain our nature. What does swearing reveal about our emotions? Why does innuendo disclose something about relationships? Pinker reveals how our use of prepositions and tenses taps into peculiarly human concepts of space and time, and how our nouns and verbs speak to our notions of matter. Even the names we give our babies have important things to say about our relations to our children and to society.
With his signature wit and style, Pinker takes on scientific questions like whether language affects thought, as well as forays into everyday life?why is bulk e-mail called spam and how do romantic comedies get such mileage out of the ambiguities of dating? "The Stuff of Thought" is a brilliantly crafted and highly readable work that will appeal to fans of readers of everything from "The Selfish Gene" and "Blink" to "Eats, Shoots & Leaves."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

Psychologist Pinker explains how the mind works in a completely new way--by examining how we use words. Every time we swear, we reveal something about human emotions. When we use an innuendo to convey a bribe, threat, or sexual come-on (rather than just blurting it out), we disclose something about human relationships. Our use of prepositions and tenses tap into peculiarly human concepts of space and time, and our nouns and verbs tap into mental models of matter and causation. Even the names we give our babies, as they change from decade to decade, have important things to day about our relations to our children and to society. Pinker takes on both scientific questions--such as whether language affects thought, and which of our concepts are innate--and questions from the headlines and everyday life.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,628,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible