I See the Rhythm (Coretta Scott King…

I See the Rhythm (Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award Winner) (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Toyomi Igus, Michele Wood (Illustrator)

1076112,824 (5)None
Member:SEEC
Title:I See the Rhythm (Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award Winner)
Authors:Toyomi Igus
Other authors:Michele Wood (Illustrator)
Info:Children's Book Press (1998), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Your library, MusEd
Tags:African American, art, music, blues, jazz, rhythm, poetry, Harlem, history, American, REBECCA W

I See the Rhythm by Toyomi Igus (1998)

Summary: This book as about music and the beats can help you expext how you feel. Music can help you through the blues. In the earlier days thats all some people had was their music. Music such as Ragtime, Slave songs, Jazz, Swing, Rock, Gospel and many more sounds. Music can come in many forms and the beats can be made out of simple items.

My personal toughts: I love the book and the colors and pictures were amazing.I'm a music lover and I agree that music can speak to your inner soul and help yor spirits at time.

Use in the classroom: This book could be used in the classroom to help children understand about music and how it was used in the earlier time. Children ca use this book to get an understanding how music today has slighly changed from the earlier times.
  gedell | Oct 28, 2011 |
Great images that make the text come to life. ( )
  MariaRiedman | Aug 1, 2010 |
The author begins with the sounds of Africa, drums and chants. The songs of the salves and the birth of the blues, when black men were not truly free. Rag time and the beginning of the blues lend a hand to rhythm. Be Bop brought a new attitude to African Americans, to feel pride for who they are. Music continues to follow down a path through gospel, rock and roll, funk, and hip hop. Along with the history of music, it showed the history of African Americans.

I enjoyed this book very much. It followed the history of hip hop all the way back to African tribe music. Not only did it discuss the history of music, but it also took you through black history starting in Africa, through slavery, persecution, and a road to equality. The book contains a time line, and side lines that discuss main event in music and black history. The side notes may be a little distracting for a read aloud. I think this would be a good book to show children that poetry does not have to be just rhyming. My favorite phrase was “I’m black and I’m proud”.

1) Class could make instruments such as drums, maracas, guitars, and whistles. Use the instruments to create some of the musical styles discussed in the book.
2) Discover rhythm and blues by creating our own lyrics.
  aubreycroat | Sep 15, 2009 |
This story cover the history of African Americans to music beginning with their roots in Africa leading to the present. It covers the type of music used and some of the reasons the music evolved.

I really enjoyed this story. The design and layout of the book and illustrations made the story come to life for me. I particularly love the way the author incorporated actual historic facts around the borders of the pages. The author does an excellent job covering the theme of African American history to music.

I would use this book during African American History month or in a music class to discuss the origin of many types of music. ( )
  DHARDY | Jun 26, 2009 |
I read this book online through the International Children's Digital Library. It is a history of African-American music, from African griots to slave spirituals to jazz to hip hop, told in lyrical verse. The book is both poetic and informational, as text is found in multiple places on each page: the poetry that traces the history of the music, the blurbs on the inner margins of the page that describe the illustrations, and the time lines that appear around the perimeter of the pages.

The illustrations are rich in color, texture, and scope. According to the preface, the illustrator spent a significant amount of time researching first-hand accounts of musicians and audiences in order to capture key details in her paintings. The plot of the book is chronological and contains historical and cultural references to significant people, places, and events. This chronology is easy to follow not only because of the time lines that make their way onto several pages, but also because of the subject heading/title ("birth of the blues," "ragtime," etc.) on the top of each page.

The style of the text is also unique in that the author makes use of various fonts, sizes, and onomatopoeia to convey the spirit of the music about which he is writing. The author makes use of blank space and poetic license to place words in unorthodox places on the page. This format contributes to the artful tone set by the poetry and the illustrations.

Highly recommended for elementary, middle, and high school libraries. ( )
  rpultusk | Oct 27, 2008 |

Covers famous African-American musicians and singers spanning the American history, and different places African-Americans have lived such as, plantations and Harlem, New York.

I See the Rhythm is a unique visual and poetic introduction to the history of African-American music. Beginning with the roots of black music in Africa and continuing on to contemporary hip hop, "I See the Rhythm" takes young readers on a musical journey through time. They are invited to feel the rhythm of work songs on a Southern plantation, see the rhythm of jazz from a balcony in New Orleans, dance to the rhythm of swing at the Savoy Club in Harlem, and rejoice to the rhythm of gospel from a church pew on Sunday morning.

Each stunning spread is an inspiring celebration of African-American music and the far-reaching impact it has had on the world.

"An unusually lyrical meditation on African American history...(Wood's) sensuous style gives hard realities...a sweet dignity". -- Publishers Weekly

Vivid paintings and poetic text trace the progression of black music from its traditional roots in Africa to contemporary hip hop

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:20 -0400)

Chronicles and captures poetically the history, mood, and movement of African American music.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,774,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible