The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais

The Monkey's Raincoat (original 1987; edition 1992)

by Robert Crais

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:The Monkey's Raincoat
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:Crimeline (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Collections:Kindle Books, Your library
Rating:***

The monkey's raincoat by Robert Crais (1987)

Recently added byDaniella.McCafferty, private library, Rationalspin, RichFSKT, LJK613, Catamount33
    Three Complete Spenser Novels by Robert B. Parker (tmommy4)
    tmommy4: The characters are very similar, the writing has a great tone and pace

Ellen Lang hires Elvis Cole to find her missing husband, Mort, and their son, Perry. Or rather, her friend kind of pushed her into hiring him. Ellen Lang doesn’t seem sure what to do. She was afraid that if her husband was OK, he’d be mad if she informed the authorities. Mort seems to have her under his thumb even when he’s not around. But, admittedly she is much more concerned to find her son than her husband. Elvis begins digging and finds Mort is pretty down on his luck, much more than he’s led Ellen to believe. Mort left a good job to become a small-time talent agent.

When they find Mort … in his car … shot … dead, there is still no sign of Perry. And then, Ellen disappears. Elvis Cole enlists the help of Joe Pike, his investigative partner.

This first book in the Elvis Cole series set the stage and introduced both Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. They are pretty dissimilar in everything, but they work well together. Neither seems to step in the other’s space. I liked both characters and their ‘snarkiness’ quite a lot so I’m sure this will not be my last Elvis Cole novel. This is not a new book; the pub date was 1987, but the pace and action is good and the ending most interesting. There are now 14 books in the series with the latest, The Promise, published 2015. Rating: 3.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jul 9, 2015 |
In this novel Crais introduces Elvis Cole and Joe Pike, two characters that have been featured in more than a dozen books. The story is interesting but not particularly innovative. The plotting is suitably complex for a mystery and the characters are quite interesting. What stands out for me is the clever dialogue and side comments Crais inserts to bring the scenes to life and increase interest. I would have rated this novel a "5" based on the plot alone but Crais' writing style and the interesting characters (i.e., Cole and Pike) lifted the book a couple of notches. I'm interested to see if the plotting improves across future volumes. It that occurs and the dialogue and characters continue to fascinate Crais will join my list of favorite authors. ( )
  Tatoosh | Jun 29, 2015 |
The first installments in Robert Crais' Elvis Cole and Joe Pike Private Investigator series, and also the first that I've read, was in my opinion a very good book. I really liked the character of Elvis Cole. From his quick one liners to his collection of Disney paraphernalia and his overprotective "father" instincts toward his clients, Elvis Cole is a very likeable guy. Bring in his partner Joe Pike, the strong silent type, and you have the perfect match. The story was very good, if somewhat far fetched at the end, but I read it for entertainment and not the psychology of criminal behavior. I will definitely read more in this series! ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
  NPJacobsen | Jun 5, 2015 |
This is a cracking good detective yarn. Client Ellen Lang hires Elvis to find her missing husband. When her son is kidnapped as well things get tense and messy. Elvis discovers that it appears Ellen's husband stole some very expensive drugs from the home of a drug dealer while at a party. The dealer wants the drugs back in exchange for the boy.

Elvis' partner, Joe Pike, is a very conspicuous character in this novel which is the first of the Elvis Cole series. Highly recommended for snappy dialogue, vivid descriptions of Los Angeles and complicated plot. I especially enjoy the descriptions of the city as Elvis drives from one place to another. I have actually followed his route on Google maps to see how accurate they are. ( )
  lamour | Feb 25, 2015 |
That ain't tactics, baby. That's just the beast in me. /
- Elvis Presley / Jailhouse Rock (the movie).
Winter downpour - /
even the monkey /
needs a raincoat. /
- Basho
For Pat, who met Joe Pike and decided to hang around.
'I'm sorry, Mr. Cole, this has nothing to do with you. Please excuse me.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553275852, Mass Market Paperback)

Taking the mystery community by storm, this Elvis Cole novel was nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Shamus, and Macavity awards and won both the Anthony and Macavity for Best Novel of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

CRIME & MYSTERY. When quiet Ellen Lang enters Elvis Cole's Disney-deco office, she's lost something very valuable - her husband and young son. The case seems simple enough, but Elvis isn't thrilled. Neither is his enigmatic partner and firepower Joe Pike. Their search down the seamy side of Hollywood's studio lots and sculptured lawns soon leads them deep into a nasty netherworld of drugs and sex - and murder. Now the case is getting interesting, but it's also turned ugly. Because everybody, from cops to starlets to crooks, has declared war on Ellen and Elvis.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,030,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible