The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais

The Monkey's Raincoat (original 1987; edition 1992)

by Robert Crais

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:The Monkey's Raincoat
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:Crimeline (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Collections:Kindle Books, Your library
Rating:***

The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais (1987)

Three Complete Spenser Novels by Robert B. Parker (tmommy4)
    tmommy4: The characters are very similar, the writing has a great tone and pace

2.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais (Book 1 in the Elvis Cole series)
3.5★'s

From Goodreads:

When quiet Ellen Lang enters Elvis's office, she's lost her husband and her son. Their search down the seamy side of Hollywood's studio lots and sculptured lawns soon leads them deep into a nasty netherworld of drugs and sex - and murder.

My Thoughts:

There are quite a few things going on plot wise and it held my interest, but I felt that this was more of a book to establish the characters and use this as a great springboard for the rest of the series.

Towards the end it got a bit more interesting and when I had finished I knew I was on to a winner because I certainly wanted to read more about Elvis and Cole. Overall, the story wasn't the best, but the writing of Robert Crais and the introduction of a great partner has spurred my interest considerably. When you take into consideration that this book was written twenty-seven years ago you realize that as a debut novel it's a really good one. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Read 17%. I got tired of the interactions between the main character and women.
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
An enjoyable first book in a series.
Elvis is a wise-cracking private eye who is hired to investigate the disappearance of a woman's husband and young son.
Things become very complicated the more things are investigated and things become very dangerous for all concerned.
Good début. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Ellen Lang hires Elvis Cole to find her missing husband, Mort, and their son, Perry. Or rather, her friend kind of pushed her into hiring him. Ellen Lang doesn’t seem sure what to do. She was afraid that if her husband was OK, he’d be mad if she informed the authorities. Mort seems to have her under his thumb even when he’s not around. But, admittedly she is much more concerned to find her son than her husband. Elvis begins digging and finds Mort is pretty down on his luck, much more than he’s led Ellen to believe. Mort left a good job to become a small-time talent agent.

When they find Mort … in his car … shot … dead, there is still no sign of Perry. And then, Ellen disappears. Elvis Cole enlists the help of Joe Pike, his investigative partner.

This first book in the Elvis Cole series set the stage and introduced both Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. They are pretty dissimilar in everything, but they work well together. Neither seems to step in the other’s space. I liked both characters and their ‘snarkiness’ quite a lot so I’m sure this will not be my last Elvis Cole novel. This is not a new book; the pub date was 1987, but the pace and action is good and the ending most interesting. There are now 14 books in the series with the latest, The Promise, published 2015. Rating: 3.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jul 9, 2015 |
That ain't tactics, baby. That's just the beast in me. /
- Elvis Presley / Jailhouse Rock (the movie).
Winter downpour - /
even the monkey /
needs a raincoat. /
- Basho
For Pat, who met Joe Pike and decided to hang around.
'I'm sorry, Mr. Cole, this has nothing to do with you. Please excuse me.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553275852, Mass Market Paperback)

Taking the mystery community by storm, this Elvis Cole novel was nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Shamus, and Macavity awards and won both the Anthony and Macavity for Best Novel of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

CRIME & MYSTERY. When quiet Ellen Lang enters Elvis Cole's Disney-deco office, she's lost something very valuable - her husband and young son. The case seems simple enough, but Elvis isn't thrilled. Neither is his enigmatic partner and firepower Joe Pike. Their search down the seamy side of Hollywood's studio lots and sculptured lawns soon leads them deep into a nasty netherworld of drugs and sex - and murder. Now the case is getting interesting, but it's also turned ugly. Because everybody, from cops to starlets to crooks, has declared war on Ellen and Elvis.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,871,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible