The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais

The Monkey's Raincoat (original 1987; edition 1992)

by Robert Crais

Member:Alice_Wonder
Title:The Monkey's Raincoat
Authors:Robert Crais
Info:Crimeline (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Collections:Kindle Books, Your library
Rating:***

The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais (1987)

Three Complete Spenser Novels by Robert B. Parker (tmommy4)
    tmommy4: The characters are very similar, the writing has a great tone and pace

Elvis Cole or Hound Dog as Lou Poitras calls him, is the PI you call when you want something found. But, if you are in trouble he is there for you as long and as much as it takes. Many twists and turns. I will definitely be reading more of this series. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 4, 2016 |
2.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Monkey's Raincoat by Robert Crais (Book 1 in the Elvis Cole series)
3.5★'s

From Goodreads:

When quiet Ellen Lang enters Elvis's office, she's lost her husband and her son. Their search down the seamy side of Hollywood's studio lots and sculptured lawns soon leads them deep into a nasty netherworld of drugs and sex - and murder.

My Thoughts:

There are quite a few things going on plot wise and it held my interest, but I felt that this was more of a book to establish the characters and use this as a great springboard for the rest of the series.

Towards the end it got a bit more interesting and when I had finished I knew I was on to a winner because I certainly wanted to read more about Elvis and Cole. Overall, the story wasn't the best, but the writing of Robert Crais and the introduction of a great partner has spurred my interest considerably. When you take into consideration that this book was written twenty-seven years ago you realize that as a debut novel it's a really good one. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Read 17%. I got tired of the interactions between the main character and women.
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
An enjoyable first book in a series.
Elvis is a wise-cracking private eye who is hired to investigate the disappearance of a woman's husband and young son.
Things become very complicated the more things are investigated and things become very dangerous for all concerned.
Good début. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
That ain't tactics, baby. That's just the beast in me. /
- Elvis Presley / Jailhouse Rock (the movie).
Winter downpour - /
even the monkey /
needs a raincoat. /
- Basho
For Pat, who met Joe Pike and decided to hang around.
'I'm sorry, Mr. Cole, this has nothing to do with you. Please excuse me.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553275852, Mass Market Paperback)

Taking the mystery community by storm, this Elvis Cole novel was nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Shamus, and Macavity awards and won both the Anthony and Macavity for Best Novel of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

CRIME & MYSTERY. When quiet Ellen Lang enters Elvis Cole's Disney-deco office, she's lost something very valuable - her husband and young son. The case seems simple enough, but Elvis isn't thrilled. Neither is his enigmatic partner and firepower Joe Pike. Their search down the seamy side of Hollywood's studio lots and sculptured lawns soon leads them deep into a nasty netherworld of drugs and sex - and murder. Now the case is getting interesting, but it's also turned ugly. Because everybody, from cops to starlets to crooks, has declared war on Ellen and Elvis.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,394,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible