The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a…

The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jiménez

Member:jonesj2
Title:The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child
Authors:Francisco Jiménez
Info:University of New Mexico Press (1997), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 134 pages

The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

I enjoyed reading the book “The Circuit” by Franciso Jimenez. One aspect I liked about this book was the writing. The writing was engaging and kept me interested in the book. The writing was also very well organized and flowed together nicely. “We called it Tent City. Everybody called it Tent City, although it was neither a city nor a town. It was a farm worker labor camp owned by Sheehey Strawberry Farms.” Another reason I liked this book was because of the characters. The characters in this story went through realistic situations, considering this really did happen to someone. One situation that happens in the book is the family’s youngest son gets very sick. The family waits to take him to the doctors and he almost ends up dying. The son has to stay in the hospital for a long time. The big idea of the book is to keep your family safe and protected. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 30, 2014 |
1. I enjoyed reading the chapter book, “The Circuit” by Francisco Jimenez for several reasons. The writing is engaging and incorporates the use of Spanish words, which provides readers with a more authentic representation of the language used by a Mexican immigrant family. The story is autobiographical and is written in first person from Francisco’s point of view as a child. The plot is organized in a manner that segments, by chapter, the events that took place in Francisco’s childhood after immigrating to the United Stated. This segmented style is appropriate to the content provided within the story, as Francisco and his family are constantly moving and searching for work each passing season. This book pushes readers to think about tough issues surrounding the financial and cultural hardships faced by illegal immigrant families when coming to the United States. Because this book is written from Francisco’s point of view as a child, it is easier for younger readers to make connections from their lives to Francisco’s. In the U.S., it is not common to find books written for younger readers that portray the perspective of illegal Mexican immigrant children. It is for this reason that I would choose to have this book in my classroom, as it would bring a unique cultural perspective to my students. The main message of this story is to demonstrate the challenges faced by illegal Mexican immigrant children and families, as they enter in to American society. ( )
  efried5 | Oct 30, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I loved the writing it was descriptive and emotional and I enjoyed the theme which is belonging. The writer did an excellent job of making you feel like you were in Francisco’s shoes and seeing the world through his eyes. “My father shouted at all of us to stop. Seeing a stream of blood dribble from El Perico’s silent beak, I felt as though someone had ripped my heart out.” The author Francisco Jimenez did a remarkable job making me see the world through Francisco’s eyes by using specific words for great imagery like “silent beak”, “blood dribbled.” The whole time you are hoping that Francisco and his family finally find a home where they can be happy. The theme of belonging was great to read about. I haven’t read many books with this type of theme and it had a tremendous emotional toll on me. The whole time I am rooting for Francisco’s family and then that teacher calls the immigration police on him! This is a book that doesn’t have a happy ending and I was thinking about this book for a few weeks after I read it. The big idea in this book is belonging. ( )
  torilynae | Oct 18, 2014 |
I liked the chapter book “The Circuit.” The main purpose of this book is to share the perspective and story of endurance of a migrant child and his family. I appreciated this book for various reasons. First, I liked how “The Circuit” pushes readers to think about tough issues. The circumstances that Francisco goes through are not ordinary, so it helps readers step outside of themselves and think of others. I believe that this book helps broaden perspectives on immigration and migrants. I know that there are several people in America and across the world who feel and think negatively of immigrants. As this book shares the heartbreaking stories of a young child, I think readers would sympathize and understand immigrants more. This story also helps the audience realize that Francisco is no different than us in some of the struggles he faces. Problems such as security, loneliness, and fear. The first person point of view of “The Circuit” also engages readers to feel connected to the main character. Instead of feeling like they are reading an autobiography, the author does a good job in making it feel like he is telling a series of stories. I also appreciated the descriptive language of the author. For example, “As soon as they saw my swollen upper lip and the scratches on my left cheek, they knew what the note said.” The language of the author helps build images in readers heads. This book is full of honest, real-life details of poverty and hardships. ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 16, 2014 |
The chapter book "The Circuit" was an interesting read. The first aspect of why I enjoyed this book was the language choice. This book intertwined Spanish words along with English words. This could be helpful to students who could be English language learners who come from a Spanish speaking family. Having Spanish in the chapter book could provide comfort to the reader and encourage them to participate more in classroom discussion. The Spanish vocabulary could also be helpful to readers who do not speak Spanish in the way that they could learn words while they were reading. The second aspect of why I enjoyed this book was that it was written in the first person point of view. The story was told through the eyes of the main character, Francisco. This book was based on real life events and experiences from the author’s point of view. This book pushes readers to apply this knowledge to real life situations and what other families could have experienced. The main idea of this book is to share migrant experiences to inform readers about hardships that people face. ( )
  vharsh1 | Oct 15, 2014 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Avelina/Rorra;

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Roberto/Toto;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:39 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,388,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible