The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jimenez (Author)

Member:katherine.fuller
Title:The Circuit
Authors:Francisco Jimenez (Author)
Info:University of New Mexico Press
Tags:Immigration, migrant workers, moving, family

The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child by Francisco Jimenez

Summary:
This book is a narrative of the many obstacles a family faces during their migration from Mexico to the United States, as told by the author and second son, Francisco Jiménez.
Review:
This book is the compelling story of a migrant family and their struggles to establish themselves in America, after fleeing their impoverished lives in Mexico. Francisco Jiménez tells the story from his perspective, and gives very detailed, emotional descriptions of the many difficulties he and his family face. Being new in the United States can be difficult for anyone, but on top of it all Francisco must learn the language, English, and help his family make a living. Much of the book follows Francisco through his school days and gave me perspective into the true nature of migrant families and the hell they need but can't openly ask for. Francisco has many moments of glory that give him hope during his schooling through his teachers and family supporting his efforts. Most of the struggles that they were from immigration police and his family not having work.
  mmoria4 | Feb 23, 2017 |
Reading The Circuit was an emotional roller coaster. The story is an autobiography about Francisco Jiménez retelling his experience with immigration. I enjoyed the book because I could put a personal connection to it being born in America from two immigrant parents. It reminded me of the struggles my parents had when they came into this country. This book pushes readers to view a different perspective in how coming from a Mexican background into the American schools was a rough transition for Francisco, balancing work between school and not consistently being able to go to school to learn. In the beginning of the novel, Francisco makes a friend that he can talk to in Spanish. But when his first grade teacher, Mrs. Scalapino, had heard Francisco speaking in Spanish to one of his classmates and had abruptly yelled, "NO!" at him and told him to speak English only. The story continues with more ups and downs of Francisco's life up until he is in the 7th grade with the use of short stories in how an immigrant family struggles with poverty.
  mdelga3 | Feb 21, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book. I liked how the author used his point of view and the cultural language he used. The author used his own point of view to tell his story. This gave the reader an insight on how he grew up. For example, Francisco was the only spanish student in his classroom and he couldnt understand anyone else in the classroom. So as the reader, you get his perspective of what it is like to be an ELL student emerged in an english-only spoken classroom. I also liked the cultural language the author used. For example, the father says, "No mi'jo," which means son. The way the author puts these words in the text allows the reader to find the meaning of the spanish words. It makes the language and book more authentic, educational, and interesting to read. The main lesson in this biography was that even if someone doesn't speak your language, it does not mean they are uneducated or any less intelligent than you. ( )
  adietr3 | Feb 15, 2017 |
This book is about the life of a migrant child as his family moves from Mexico to California looking for a better life. Life is hard for the main character, Francisco, and his family. There are highs in the book and very low lows. This book gives a first person account of growing up in tent cities and constantly having to move so the family could find farm jobs. Most kids don’t have to worry about where they will be living season to season or if they are going to be able to go to school, but this book gives a very honest account of the struggle some children have to go through.

Comprehensive Strategy: Literature Circles would be great for this book. This book a ton going on in it and it would be good for students to hear others students thoughts on what they read. Many perspectives on a book like this gives the student a fuller understand. I would imagine there are students that don’t realize others live like Francisco had to. ( )
  kafreehill | Dec 3, 2016 |
This book is nonfiction. It is a first person account of Francisco Jimenez's childhood and what it was like growing up as an immigrant. His family thought they would be living the American dream, but they did not. It shows the hard work it takes to build a life in a new country and live through poverty. I would use this book with upper elementary students to teach about immigration and poverty from a first person account.
  Jordan.Francies | Nov 29, 2016 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Avelina/Rorra;

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Roberto/Toto;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

19 wanted5 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,514,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible