The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jimenez

Title:The Circuit
Authors:Francisco Jimenez (Author)
Info:University of New Mexico Press
Tags:Immigration, migrant workers, moving, family

The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child by Francisco Jimenez

I enjoyed this chapter book a lot. The overall theme was to never give up. One thing I enjoyed was how the author wrote the characters struggles throughout the story. She really describe what it is like for an immigrant in american schools. For example, "It was easier when Miss Scalapino read to the class from a book with illustrations because I made up my own stories, in Spanish, based on the pictures.” This gives the reader insight on how the student feels when he doesn’t know any english in the american school system. Another part of the book I enjoyed was the ending. Panchito had to learn part of the Declaration of Independence for class and as he was about to deliver it, the border patrol took him out of the school. The reason I believe that this is a major piece of the story was because it went along with the theme. The main character kept trying and trying to learn english, but as soon as it was time to show what he learned, he had to leave. ( )
  GabbyWooten | Oct 4, 2016 |
The Circuit is a powerful book about a family illegally immigrating to the United States, from Mexico. This book includes the family’s struggles of finding work and a place to live, while also trying to have their children in the American school system. I enjoyed this book because of the point of view and also the reality of the story. The point of view comes from the child who is impacted most by the move. Trampita is the youngest member of the family when they move, but when the family has another baby his role of working changes. After the new baby is born, he must watch and take care of the new baby while the rest of the family works throughout the day. As himself, and the new baby grow older, and the family expands more, Trampita’s responsibilities change. Trampita’s role in the family also changes as he gets older. It is great seeing the story through the child who remembers Mexico and the United States and is also in the school system the most. I also enjoyed this book because of the reality of the struggles the family faces. The family does not come to the United States and just get to start over. They have to constantly work and move to find work. The family must move every time the farming season changes, because, for example, the family cannot stay at on one farm land once the cotton season is over, they must move onto what is in season next that needs to be farmed because they have to continue working to make money. Also towards the end of the book, the author begins to mention when the police come to look for illegal immigrants. Ultimately at the very end of the book, the family is discovered to be illegal, and I believe this is a great way to keep the book as real as possible because families like Trampita’s are always in danger of being caught. I believe the theme of this book is the value of family. This family went through a lot but they always had each other and were supportive towards one another. ( )
  CaseyKlasmeyer | Oct 4, 2016 |
I read the book “The Circuit” by Francisco Jimenez. The book was a historical fiction chapter book. I would give this book 4 stars. The main idea of this book is stressing the hardships that the main character faced when he was forced to immigrate to the U.S. The author depicts this main idea by the use of characters, point-of-view, and plot.
Characters: Each character plays an important role in this book. The main character and his family struggle with adapting to their new living environment and different people they meet on their journey either help or create obstacles with the family’s immigration experience.
Point-of-View: The novel is told in the point-of-view of a little boy, and he talks about how he cannot focus in school because he is so concerned with working in order to keep his family where they need to be. No child should have that amount of stress on them, and hearing it from his perspective makes the reader more aware of how hard immigrating is.
Plot: The plot of the book is that the main character and his family have to leave their country, but because they are illegal immigrants, they have to hide all the time, which takes away from a lot of opportunities that being illegal prevents them from doing. ( )
  NajetAniba | Oct 3, 2016 |
I had very mixed feelings about The Circuit. On one hand the characters where very well developed and believable. On the other hand the story was very hard to follow and seemed to drag along at times. The main character and his family in the book were very believable and well though out. Throughout the book they ran into very legitimate problems that a family in that position would face, like border patrol and medical issues do to economic problems. The thing I didn’t like about this book is how it was structured. Instead of chapters, the book was written as a series of stories, and because of this there wasn’t really any flow, locations jumped around and there was no real transition between stories. The big idea of this book is about family and how your family is always there for you and they support you. This story also teaches about the struggles of an immigrant in America. ( )
  CameronMoltz | Sep 20, 2016 |
This story was a touching book that describes the events of a small boy and his family immigrating to America. I liked this book for a couple of significant reasons, one being the character development of the main character, Panchito. Most of the story is told from his point of view, which really puts readers in a deeper understanding of his feelings. Specifically, when his inner dialogue describes his confusion after his teacher yelled at him for speaking Spanish, I was able to really get a sense of how he was feeling in that moment. Another reason I enjoyed reading this book was because it really pushes readers to acknowledge the issues that have or are happening pertaining to English language learners. Which leads me to the big idea of this book and it is the perseverance it takes to learn English as a second language, let alone as an immigrant with little to no resources. ( )
  TaylorSistek | Sep 19, 2016 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

19 wanted5 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible