The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jimenez (Author)

Member:katherine.fuller
Title:The Circuit
Authors:Francisco Jimenez (Author)
Info:University of New Mexico Press
Tags:Immigration, migrant workers, moving, family

The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child by Francisco Jimenez

This book is nonfiction. It is a first person account of Francisco Jimenez's childhood and what it was like growing up as an immigrant. His family thought they would be living the American dream, but they did not. It shows the hard work it takes to build a life in a new country and live through poverty. I would use this book with upper elementary students to teach about immigration and poverty from a first person account.
  Jordan.Francies | Nov 29, 2016 |
This book can often get a bit confusing, as the story tends to jump around. Therefore, in the classroom students can first talk in literature circles to discuss the book in groups, then the teacher can prepare think aloud questions to make sure the students are grasping the important parts of the book. This book can teach children about how some people live in poverty and how difficult their lives can be.
  ChloeFukuda | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book had a great description of what life is like for immigrants who come across the boarder and have to adapt to our cultures, especially in the American school system. The language barrier that is presented between Panchito and his classmates, including his teacher, poses a serious problem. I feel like the author gives the reader a great sense of what it is like to sit in class for hours at a time and have no idea what the teacher is saying. Most people in the United States have no idea what that can feel like, so this book is great for readers to understand what immigrants, especially children going to public schools, feel and have to deal with. ( )
  KellyMiguelez | Oct 31, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. One of the reasons I liked this book was because it was told in the first person, it allowed me to connect with the main character on a more personal level. I was able to feel empathetic for him as he struggled as a daily basis. For example, the main character explained in detail what it was like working in harsh conditions picking cotton while trying to attend school, trying to rescue his dying baby brother, etc. I also enjoyed how there were bilingual terms used in this book. The main character speaks only Spanish his entire life before moving to America. Therefore, at points in the book he uses Spanish terms. For example, “la forchetta”, which is the name of the village he came from. I think the main message or idea for readers to pull from this book is to hear the stories of a young boy and his family and the hardships you must face immigrating to America. Everyone thinks that coming to America is an automatic walk in the park but however that can be far from the case. ( )
  charlotteduncan | Oct 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed this chapter book a lot. The overall theme was to never give up. One thing I enjoyed was how the author wrote the characters struggles throughout the story. She really describe what it is like for an immigrant in american schools. For example, "It was easier when Miss Scalapino read to the class from a book with illustrations because I made up my own stories, in Spanish, based on the pictures.” This gives the reader insight on how the student feels when he doesn’t know any english in the american school system. Another part of the book I enjoyed was the ending. Panchito had to learn part of the Declaration of Independence for class and as he was about to deliver it, the border patrol took him out of the school. The reason I believe that this is a major piece of the story was because it went along with the theme. The main character kept trying and trying to learn english, but as soon as it was time to show what he learned, he had to leave. ( )
  GabbyWooten | Oct 4, 2016 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Avelina/Rorra;

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Roberto/Toto;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

19 wanted5 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,632,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible