The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jimenez

Member:katherine.fuller
Title:The Circuit
Authors:Francisco Jimenez (Author)
Info:University of New Mexico Press
Tags:Immigration, migrant workers, moving, family

The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child by Francisco Jimenez

I had very mixed feelings about The Circuit. On one hand the characters where very well developed and believable. On the other hand the story was very hard to follow and seemed to drag along at times. The main character and his family in the book were very believable and well though out. Throughout the book they ran into very legitimate problems that a family in that position would face, like border patrol and medical issues do to economic problems. The thing I didn’t like about this book is how it was structured. Instead of chapters, the book was written as a series of stories, and because of this there wasn’t really any flow, locations jumped around and there was no real transition between stories. The big idea of this book is about family and how your family is always there for you and they support you. This story also teaches about the struggles of an immigrant in America. ( )
  CameronMoltz | Sep 20, 2016 |
This story was a touching book that describes the events of a small boy and his family immigrating to America. I liked this book for a couple of significant reasons, one being the character development of the main character, Panchito. Most of the story is told from his point of view, which really puts readers in a deeper understanding of his feelings. Specifically, when his inner dialogue describes his confusion after his teacher yelled at him for speaking Spanish, I was able to really get a sense of how he was feeling in that moment. Another reason I enjoyed reading this book was because it really pushes readers to acknowledge the issues that have or are happening pertaining to English language learners. Which leads me to the big idea of this book and it is the perseverance it takes to learn English as a second language, let alone as an immigrant with little to no resources. ( )
  TaylorSistek | Sep 19, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. The Circuit was a complex book that told the story of a young boy and his family immigrating to America. One of the reasons I liked this book was because it was told in the first person. The book being in first person told by the young boy Panchito, allowed me to connect with the character on a more personal level. I was able to feel empathetic for the characters as they struggled to save their baby brother, just because the first person point of view made it easy to connect. In addition, I liked the use of bilingualism in the book. The child grows up only speaking spanish, so at certain points in the book he includes spanish terms. I think the main message of this book was perseverance because even when Panchito and his family were going through countless hardships, they pushed through the pain together.
  AlexaLevine | Sep 13, 2016 |
I liked this book for a few different reasons. The first is that liked how the story was told in the first person point of view by the main character, Francisco. I think first person point of view allows you to really connect to the character and feel the emotions they are going through. I also liked this book because although Francisco was an immigrant from Mexico who had many struggles, he never really felt sorry for himself. He constantly worked hard whether it was his job picking cotton or grapes or simple trying to learn English. I really liked how excited Francisco always was for school even though he was always starting at a new place. Overall the story could be relatable for a child in Francsico's situation which I think is a great resource. ( )
  Kirstenwenzel | Sep 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book mainly because it followed the every day life of a Spanish boy named Panchito and his family, who moved to the United States without knowing the English language. This book was told based off of a true story that happened to resemble the life of the author. Because of that, I feel as if readers are drawn into the book even more. Being able to live the life of Panchito (or Jimenez), allowed for readers to put themselves in his shoes. I felt connected many times throughout the book, mainly when I sensed Panchito's frustration and confusion in school. While in first grade, Panchito admitted, “By the end of the day, I was very tired of hearing Miss Scalapino talk because the sounds made no sense to me. I thought that perhaps by paying close attention, I would begin to understand, but I did not." He also mentioned that he would get headaches from trying to comprehend what Miss Scalapino was saying. Although, Panchito did find ways of coping during the school day. He exceled when it came to art class. He mainly enjoyed drawing butterflies and birds as a means of expressing his emotions. Also, through the family's hardships, financially and emotionally, they stick together and remain whole. The hard work and dedication that is evident through each member of the family is recognized as a reader. The message of the story seems to portray that even through hardships and poverty, the family was determined that California was the place to be, where they could "sweep money off of the streets," as Roberto would say. Overall, this book is a great read simply because the reader is able to connect to Panchito as he tells us about his journey in America. ( )
  mbauer9 | Sep 7, 2016 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Avelina/Rorra;

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Roberto/Toto;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

19 wanted5 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible