The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jimenez

Title:The Circuit
Authors:Francisco Jimenez (Author)
Info:University of New Mexico Press
Tags:Immigration, migrant workers, moving, family

The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

This novel really touched me. I loved the story of this book well as how well it was written. This novel has many themes throughout but the one that I noticed most was the theme of determination. Francisco went through a lot. He, and his family, came across the border to California to work. He was been in and out of school, running from the officers, picked cotton, strawberries, and grapes, and has been bullied. Coming from Mexico, Francisco knew no English. Being on the run and constantly moving, Francisco never stayed in the same school for the school year. Not staying with the same teacher and students really hurt his education. Students would bully him and he would not understand the teacher. However, he was determined to learn. He always stayed positive even if something bad happened. The principal gave Francisco a jacket, which happened to be another students lost jacket. That student beat up Francisco and instead of Francisco being mean right back, he ended up giving the bully his picture at the end of the day. When Francisco collected his pennies, he noticed his two favorite ones were gone. His sister took them and bought a gumball. Francisco was very mad but moved on from it. He also started making friends but realized they started leaving or he had to leave. Nothing in Francisco life came easy; however, he learned to deal with it all and to overcome his obstacles. Another part I really loved is when Francisco found out he was really learning English. His family moved again but this time they were in a house. That house ended up burning down and in the house was his notebook he would write everything he learned about in it. The house burning down and him losing his notebook was very sad but he realized he remembered everything he had learned and he did not need that notebook. Francisco was determined to learn and make his family proud. This true story showed the struggles his family had to go through but it also shows all the successes of Francisco. He was a caring, strong, brave, and bright child. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. The characters were one of the reasons I liked it so much. The main characters, a family of migrant workers in the U.S., are some that are not often represented in popular culture, which makes this book valuable to all demographics. The writing style is also a great aspect of this book. The author really makes you feel a connection with his young self. For example, I could feel the anger that Francisco felt after his precious penny collection had been raided by his little sister. The big idea of this book was perseverance, and family. Francisco's family worked hard, and stuck together throughout the story.
  rking17 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I enjoyed the story, "The Circuit" for a few reasons. For starters, I enjoyed the diction through out the story. The Circuit is riddled with Spanish language throughout the entirety of the book. When Panchito describes some of his family members he uses Spanish language like, madre and padre which provides a sense of the Spanish speaking culture. In addition, the plot of the story is very eye opening and relevant to the lives of several people in this country. Francisco describes the life of Panchito and his family after they migrated to the U.S. and what it was like living in the camp. I find this story to be of a high level of importance because it sheds the light on how fortunate we are to live in the U.S. while understanding what others have to do in order to live a life style that is somewhat similar. ( )
  Cdavie3 | Oct 1, 2015 |
This book was very interesting. This book has a good way of showing the different types of experiences the family goes through. The author's descriptive language when explaining things, such as the family's trip to the United States and their life in the camp, helps the reader to really understand the struggles the family faced. The book pushes readers to think about the perspectives of migrants who come to the USA. Many younger children in schools across the country come in contact with people who were forced to move. Since the book is written in first person, this helps relate to the perspectives of the character. ( )
  rpotte5 | Sep 30, 2015 |
I liked this book for two reasons. I liked that even though it was a biography and was nonfiction, it was still an organized and engaging story. The author did not just list his life and what happened step by step, he turned it into a story that has readers understand what he was feeling and how everyone around him was feeling. Another reason why I liked this book was because of the language. The author was very descriptive while writing this story. He made you feel as if you were there with him crawling under the fence or in the classroom with him not understanding a word any of the other students are thinking. The main idea of the story was for the author to share his experience with you and to share with readers how it feels to be a young immigrants in the United States.
  athomp33 | Sep 30, 2015 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,727,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible