The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit (edition 1997)

by Francisco Jimenez

Member:katherine.fuller
Title:The Circuit
Authors:Francisco Jimenez (Author)
Info:University of New Mexico Press
Tags:Immigration, migrant workers, moving, family

The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child by Francisco Jimenez

The Circuit
I liked the book for two major reasons. First the book is about a boy in a family of Latinos that has recently moved to the US. The story follows the boy as he goes through school with almost no English knowledge. The boy named Panchito goes through a lot of hardships while going to school including problems at home that come with being a poor immigrant family. Then a family grows very sick but comes out okay and the family survives their first time in America. One reason I liked this story is it is and authentic story that you don’t get to hear very often. The story of immigrant Americans is so often told from an American perspective. Seeing this story from an immigrant’s perspective offers an authentic point of view that isn’t normally seen in literature which made me interested. This story is also not normally in children’s literature so seeing it and reading it from a child’s perspective is even more interesting and gives a different view on immigrant life that I had not known before, including the view on family. The second reason is the message of the story which is that family is the most important thing in the world. I am guilty of taking family for granted but this story tells a tale that shows that family and being together is the most important part of being a family. The book also showed that family is not just mom and dad, but also community and friends which I thought was a good perspective on family. In conclusion I liked this book because it is a unique story and had a good positive message about family. ( )
  arifki3 | Mar 1, 2016 |
The Circuit is a contemporary realistic fiction chapter book. The main idea of this book is about a family from Mexico travels to California illegally in hopes of a better life in the states. I enjoyed this book for three reasons. First, the story line itself captures the reader’s attention. This is a story is one of many just like it. The family is like anyone in the states, except they were not lucky enough to be born here. It pushes the readers to look at their lives and see how grateful they should be. Second, was the imagery that the author was able to portray though his words and the fear it brought, “ The instant I saw the green uniform, I panicked”. To person that has not read the book would not understand the significance of this “green uniform” but, to the reader that meant the family was found by immigration officers and were being deported back to Mexico. Lastly, I enjoyed the how it also pushed the reader to rethink the deportation acts in this country. A family of seven was deported by immigration by the end of this story, even though three were born in the states. The family would either have to leave them here in the foster care system or bring them back to a war torn unsafe country. Any great book pushes the reader to the limit of their comfort zone. ( )
  ndelac2 | Mar 1, 2016 |
The Circuit is a historical fiction novel about a family taking a journey across the border from Mexico and their troubles from there on. In my opinion, this is an intense, enjoyable book to read. The writing of this story flows very well from the beginning to the end. For example, throughout the text, the author explains how they came over to America, what struggles they went through to stay alive and live each day, and how they were caught in the end, at school, by the border control in school. “Once we cross la frontera, we’ll make a good living in California, said Papa” This story is written in first person. It allows us to understand the whole life story from Panchito and how he felt about his life travels. For example, “At dawn on Thanksgiving Day, Papa, Roberto and I drove in our Carcachita for miles, looking for cotton fields that were being picked.” According to what Panchito said throughout the story, traveling so much had such a bad effect on his life. In this story, you realize what it means to come together and stick together as a family. ( )
  bjones49 | Feb 29, 2016 |
I really liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is because of the point of view it is written in. This book is in first person so as the reader, I can get a sense of how the author was feeling through out the book based off what he says. For example, on page four, as the reader, I get the feeling that he is excited to be on his way to Los Angelis because he keeps asking his parents if they’re there yet. I also liked this book because Panchito’s strengths as well as weaknesses are mentioned. For example, he was great at taking care of his little siblings but in school, he was struggling to understand the English language when his teacher spoke. The big idea of this book is the importance of family because without family, Panchito and his other family members may not have been able to survive the new country they were living in. ( )
  nalbre1 | Feb 29, 2016 |
The Circuit is an intense story about a family, as they illegally cross the border into America. In my opinion, this book was very interesting. My interest was held from the second I opened the book and read the first page. The language in this book was very clear, and easy to follow. The writing was engaging. For example, in the very beginning of the book, when the family is crossing the border, I was intensely engaged and wanted to keep reading to follow how the family grows in America. The book is told from the migrant child himself, Panchito, as he takes us along his journey with his family who is new to America. In some of the chapters, I almost felt as if I was standing besides Panchito, due to the words that created a sense of imagery. I definitely was pushed to think about tough issues in everyday life. I never had thought about how difficult it is for families who are new to America, especially illegal families who are looking for jobs to provide for their family. ( )
  CarlyDeLauder | Feb 29, 2016 |
To my parents and my seven sisters and brothers:

Avelina/Rorra;

Evangelina/ Yerman;

Maria Luisa/Licha;

Roberto/Toto;

Jose Francisco/Trampita;

Juan Manuel/Torito;

and Ruben/Carne Seca
We left the station. Papa carried our dark brown suitcase. We followed behind him until we reached a barbed wire fence. According to Papa, this was la frontera. He pointed out that across the gray wire barricade was California, that famous place I'd heard so much about. On both sides of the fence were armed guards dressed in green uniforms. Papa called them la migra, and explained that we had to cross the fence to the other side without being seen by them.

After dark in a Mexican border town, a father holds open a hole in a wire fence as his wife and two small boys crawl through.

So begins life in the United States for many people every day. And so begins this collection of twelve autobiographical stories by Santa Clara University professor Francisco Jim�nez, who at the age of four illegally crossed the border with his family in 1947.

"The Circuit," the story of young Panchito and his trumpet, is one of the most widely anthologized stories in Chicano literature. At long last, Jim�nez offers more about the wise, sensitive little boy who has grown into a role model for subsequent generations of immigrants.

These independent but intertwined stories follow the family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots--and back agai--over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family of four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endures.

"A jewel of a book"--Rolando Hinojosa-Smith

"These stories are so realistic they choke the heart."--Rudolfo Anaya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:34 -0400)

[In this novel], intertwined stories follow a migrant family through their circuit, from picking cotton and strawberries to topping carrots - and back again - over a number of years. As it moves from one labor camp to the next, the little family off four grows into ten. Impermanence and poverty define their lives. But with faith, hope, and back-breaking work, the family endues. -Back cover.… (more)

19 wanted5 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,472,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible