The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

The Moving Finger

by Agatha Christie

Series: Miss Marple (3), Miss Marple: Chronological (11)

The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The narrator of The Moving Finger, Jerry Barton, reminds me of the narrator of another Agatha Christie book. Mark Easterbrook from The Pale Horse. In both of these stories the urban hero goes to a small town and gets entangled in a spine chilling mystery. Another thing that these two books have in common is an unconventional old lady named Mrs. Dane Calthrop, one of the more unique creations of Christie.… (more)

English (56)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  German (2)  All (64)
Match found in the German National Library. Different edition (ISBN).
  glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Jan 1, 2018 |
Meh! Miss Marple doesn't even come into the story until the book is nearly over. The narrator was a very unpleasant person as well - not the audio book reader, he was fine - but the character telling the story was kind of a jerk. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 30, 2017 |
Life in a small town can be the best thing and the worst thing. Everyone is up in your business and this can be a source of comfort, support, and family or it can be a complete invasion of privacy, misunderstandings, and judgments. And when brother and sister Jerry and Joanna Burton move to Lymstock, they encounter the best and the worst of village life. Anonymous letters of the "ransom note" style are sent to various members of the community, inferring secrets best left hidden. It seems like the culprit will never be uncovered and lives will never be the same. Enter the delightfully charming Miss Marple. She comes in with her innocent, unassuming style and see the details missed by others. Look for the classic Christie twist and the mostly happy ending. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I haven't read an Agatha Christie book for twenty years but was inspired to pick this up after coming across it in [b:The Great British Dream Factory: The Strange History of Our National Imagination|25860398|The Great British Dream Factory The Strange History of Our National Imagination|Dominic Sandbrook|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1444446613s/25860398.jpg|45730793] (yes I skipped past the spoiler). What an inspiration to revisit her writing - a fabulous puzzle and the first person perspective definitely stands as a reminder that its not fair to call her formulaic. ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |

Savonuzzi, ClaudioForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siikarla, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my Friends
Sydney and Mary Smith
I have often recalled the morning when the first of the anonymous letters came.

The placid village of Lymstock seemed the perfect place for Jerry Burton to recuperate from his accident under the care of his sister, Joanna. Then the poison pen letter arrive,d viciously alleging illicit sexual activity between Jerry and Joanna. Even more shocking, obscene mail had been turning up all over the village. When a suicide results, the town is thrown into shock. The vicar, the doctor, the servants are all on the verge of accusing one another, when help arrives from an unexpected quarter. The vicar's houseguest is none other than the spinster detective. Miss Jane Marple.
    ------------------------------------------

"But tell me, dear," Miss Marple said to Mrs. Dane Calthrop, "What do the village people - I mean the townspeople - say? Who do they think is responsible for hte deaths?"
"Mrs. Cleat still, I suppose," Said Joanna.
"Oh, no," said Mrs Dane Calthrop. "Not now."
Miss Marple asked who Mrs Cleat was. Joanna said she was the village witch.
Miss Marple finally said:
"Oh! But the girl was killed with a skewer, so I hear. Well, naturally that takes all suspicion away form Mrs Cleat. Because, you see, she could ill-wish her, so that the girl would waste away and die of natural causes."
"Strange how those old belief's linger ..." Said the Vicar.
"It isn't superstition we've got to deal with here, but facts ..."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451201167, Mass Market Paperback)

When small-town gossip spreads as fast-and lethal-as venom, someone's bound to end up dead. And of course, they do. Calling Miss Marple...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:18 -0400)

Lymstock was a town with more that its share of shameful secrets -- a town where even a sudden outbreak of anonymous hate mail caused only a minor stir. But all of that changed when one of the recipients, Mrs. Symmington, committed suicide. Her final note said 'I can't go on'. Only Miss Marple questioned the coroner's verdict of suicide. Was this the work of a poison-pen? Or of a poisoner?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,544,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible