Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter

Freckles (1904)

by Gene Stratton-Porter

Series: Limberlost (1)

This time was a second reading for me. My book group chose this to read and I was delighted to reread it. We all loved it. A couple of people thought it was a bit wordy, but I found that wordiness to be like brush strokes describing the Limberlost. A wonderful sense of place and nature. A sweet old fashioned story with a happy ending. A bit more violence than I have encountered before in Gene Stratton-Porter's writing. She was truly a woman before her time. We had a great discussion of this story and this author. ( )
  njcur | May 24, 2019 |
I love this story. It is sweet and old fashioned. It falls in the genre of "orphan boy is honest and hard-working and makes good". Safe for any age, boy or girl. Adventure, romance, a little history, what could be better. The author was an amateur naturalist and wildlife photographer, and that can be felt in her beautiful descriptions of the location where the story is set, and her knowledge of the plant and animal life common to the area. ( )
  nittnut | Sep 5, 2018 |
I read this book when about 8 or 9 years old and loved it. My grandmother was a librarian and often passed on books that were duplicates or not needed, not just classics like Little House on the Prairie, The Bobbsey Twins or the Oz books, but lesser-known works such as The Five Little Peppers and The Outdoor Girls.
Recently I came across a mention of Girl of the Limberlost, one I never read by Gene Stratton Porter. Maybe it was nostalgia, but I decided I wanted to read it and grabbed a copy of Freckles to reread first to reacquaint myself with that world.
The author was a conservationist and her writing reflects her love of the woods and swamp. The Limberlost is a real place in Indiana, mostly gone now. She evokes the feel of that world so well, the flowers, trees, animals, and especially the birds. Her descriptions are just lovely, though she's clever at showing the grimmer aspects of the swamp. Mrs. Duncan's misadventure contrasts well as a reminder with Freckle's daily walks with his 'chickens'.
This was also probably one of the first romances I read. The growing relationship between Freckles and Angel is sweet and pure. The book certainly harks back to a different time, in some ways simpler though there is evil in the story also. My young heart fell in love with the poor Irish orphan with one hand, and I'm not ashamed to admit some of those twinges still existed as I reread his story. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jul 6, 2018 |
Horatio Alger meets L. M. Montgomery in Gene Stratton Porter's Freckles, the story of a one-handed orphan who makes good. Freckles wins the hearts of everyone around him and proves himself a man in the challenging environment of the swamp. It's a bit sentimental and farfetched for my tastes (and does anyone else think it's weird that several main characters don't have proper names—just "Swamp Angel" and "the Bird Woman"?). I've loved A Girl of the Limberlost since my teen years and I think I was putting this one off because I knew it could not be as good. Well, it isn't. ( )
  atimco | Feb 20, 2017 |
I almost want to put this on my wishlist and so I can own it, at least for a while. I'm pretty sure I loved this as a young teen, but cannot remember.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |

Stratton-Porter, Geneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rosenstein, NinaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all good Irishmen in general and one Charles Darwin Porter in particular
Freckles came down the corduroy that crosses the lower end of the Limberlost.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0253203635, Paperback)

In Freckles a homeless waif finds his deliverance in the primeval Limberlost swamp. Maimed and abandoned as an infant, Freckles seeks a chance to prove his worth. He is given that opportunity as the guard of the precious timber of the Limberlost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:23 -0400)

Orphaned and maimed, Freckles' bitterness about his fate is lessened when he is hired to guard a stretch of lumber in the wild Limberlost, and, after meeting the beautiful "Swamp Angel," he determines to find out about his past.

Indiana University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Indiana University Press.

Editions: 0253203635, 0253324718

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible