Where White Men Fear to Tread: The…

Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means

by Russell Means

Other authors: Marvin J. Wolf (Author)

Means could have used a better copy editor. Though from the stories he told, he's one stubborn SOB, the publisher probably tried to real him in and this is the best they got. I tried reading the dead tree version, but kept getting lost, and eventually borrowed the audio book version. This is one that i wish the book was the abridged and give me the unabridged audio book.

However, that being said, Russel Mean's story, of first trying to fight against this heritage, seeing what government hand outs, had done to the family, and then later fighting for the true nature of being an Indian left nothing to the imagination.

The successes they had in the 70s, even the violent struggles, almost makes me wish my family wanted to be AIM members in 2014.

Though I learn that their is reason why The American Indian Movement is practically non-existent. Like many small organizations it became place for internally bickering, and like places that promote violence for change, they can very successful, but the change is not lasting. Non-violence is the future. Russel Means was a great individual, and I feel like less of a person for not taking the opportunity to meet him when I could. ( )
  fulner | Jul 14, 2014 |
You read "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" and think how could my country treat a people so badly. Then you read this book about my generation and realize it still going on. ( )
1 vote arning | Feb 27, 2009 |

Russell Meansprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolf, Marvin J.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Russell Means is the most controversial Indian leader of our time. Where White Men Fear to Tread is the well-detailed, first-hand story of his life so far, in which he has done everything possible to dramatize and justify the Native American aim of self-determination, such as storming Mount Rushmore, seizing Plymouth Rock, running for President in 1988, and--most notoriously--leading a 71-day takeover of Wounded Knee, South Dakota, in 1973. This visionary autobiography by one of our most magnetic personalities will fascinate, educate, and inspire. As Dee Brown has written, "A reading of Means's story is essential for any clear understanding of American Indians during the last half of the twentieth century."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:38 -0400)

The Native American activist recounts his struggle for Indian self-determination, his periods in prison, and his spiritual awakening.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible