Where White Men Fear to Tread: The…

Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means (edition 1995)

by Russell Means

A riveting account of the life of perhaps the most compelling American Indian of this century.
Member:occupymuskegon
Title:Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means
Authors:Russell Means
Info:St Martins Pr (1995), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 573 pages
Tags:NON-CIRCULATING, from Hackley Public Library

Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means by Russell Means

I have absolute total empathy for Means and his position in life. That said, the book was a bit hard to read and could have used an editor to bring his story together better. I understand not wanting to compromise and he did his best not to, but sometimes in a society we have to do so....or leave. That is what he did, over and over again. I remember so much of what he discusses in the book and the memories are not necessarily good ones. It calls to mind my employment with the govt....complete total frustration and constant bewilderment....where did all these dumb asses come from? ( )
  untraveller | Oct 7, 2018 |
Wonderful book very informational great insight to the time period he lived ( )
  shawnee64 | Nov 23, 2017 |
Means could have used a better copy editor. Though from the stories he told, he's one stubborn SOB, the publisher probably tried to real him in and this is the best they got. I tried reading the dead tree version, but kept getting lost, and eventually borrowed the audio book version. This is one that i wish the book was the abridged and give me the unabridged audio book.

However, that being said, Russel Mean's story, of first trying to fight against this heritage, seeing what government hand outs, had done to the family, and then later fighting for the true nature of being an Indian left nothing to the imagination.

The successes they had in the 70s, even the violent struggles, almost makes me wish my family wanted to be AIM members in 2014.

Though I learn that their is reason why The American Indian Movement is practically non-existent. Like many small organizations it became place for internally bickering, and like places that promote violence for change, they can very successful, but the change is not lasting. Non-violence is the future. Russel Means was a great individual, and I feel like less of a person for not taking the opportunity to meet him when I could. ( )
  fulner | Jul 14, 2014 |
You read "Bury my heart at Wounded Knee" and think how could my country treat a people so badly. Then you read this book about my generation and realize it still going on. ( )
1 vote arning | Feb 27, 2009 |

Russell Meansprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wolf, Marvin J.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,557,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible