Maynard and Jennica by Rudolph Delson

Maynard and Jennica

by Rudolph Delson

English (12)  Finnish (1)  All languages (13)
This book had a really great writing style and a few likable characters. Quirky fun read. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
See Alison's excellent review, below. ( )
  karl.steel | Apr 2, 2013 |
Recommended by Diane E. and Nancy S.Very clever and enjoyable read. The story is told through a series of observations by a variety of characters, some of whom are directly involved in the story and others who are ancillary players. The author was able to capture the personalities of the characters via relatively short monologues and dialogues. Definitely a fun read! ( )
  ValNewHope | Aug 21, 2011 |
Reads like an interview. Very clever and witty, straight to the point love story told from many different points of view. The characters are down to earth and easy to relate to....i could see a lot of myself in Jennica, the flighty non-commital dreamer.....although i'm not flighty or non-commital and am a realist...come to think of it we have nothing in common and yet i could still identify with her, rudolph delson is a genius! Highly recommended. ( )
  ARBELL | Jun 29, 2011 |
(from my blog, b/c I am lazy)I don't remember how I heard about Maynard & Jennica, by Rudolph Delson. Doesn't really matter - it ended up on my list so I requested it from the library. It's billed as a love story, with a lot of minor characters. In this it is perhaps like Beginner's Greek. But this is missing a lot of the sweet. You're not rooting against these lovers, but I'm not convinced that you like them very much.I'm having trouble knowing what to say about the book, and perhaps that's because it is a very talky novel. It's a little like a written documentary - a series of (mostly) monologues by a variety of different characters, explaining what's happening from their point of view. And the characters include family, childhood friends, a kid on the subway, and a rap artist. Somehow this all makes sense. And they all have plenty to say, mainly about an ambitious California girl seeking an "illustrious" life in NYC, and a completely pretentious filmmaker who dresses like he's someone's grandpa. These are Jennica (aka Jenny) & Maynard (aka Arnie, aka Manny, aka Gogi). And these monologues are introduced like this: "Maynard Gogarty, in paradise, tells us something he isn't certain of." The uncertain thing, by the way, is whether Jennica knows he can be a jerk. Jennica follows up by being uncertain about whether or not he plans to propose.Anyway, etc. etc. For just under 300 pages. Also there is September 11, and a really fantastic indictment of the way non-New Yorkers appropriated the city's grief. (I'm not entirely sure I agree, seeing as how I was not exactly innocent of the charge and seeing as how the attacks were on a nation, not just a city, but nonetheless...) And some very funny moments. Which is all to say... what? I liked it; I did. Maybe despite myself. ( )
  eas311 | Jul 12, 2010 |
This comedy has five unequal parts, and what follows is

THE FIRST PART.

It is quite brief, and purely introductory.

A wildly original debut,Maynard and Jennica is both a hilarious urban comedy and a captivating love story. In the summer of 2000, while riding the uptown number 6 train, the musician/filmmaker Maynard Gogarty first encounters the beautiful Jennica Green.Though their initial meeting is brief, when fate next brings them together a romance ensues, and as with most things in life, everyone has an opinion.
Delson tells the story of this improbable love affair through the voices of Maynard and Jennica, along with their family, friends, and assorted characters (among them two attorneys, three journalists, and a rap star) pulled into their dizzying orbit.He brings to life a pair of lovers who are flawed, complex, at once eccentric and deeply familiar—and in whose story we continue to feel invested long after we’ve turned the last page.
In the words of Mohsin Hamid, author of The Reluctant Fundamentalist, “this book is the reason we should all read first novels.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:28 -0400)

"Maynard Gogarty is a defeated musician, a reformed misanthrope who makes a hobby of surreptitiously filming the fashion faux pas of New York City commuters. On an uptown 6 train in the sweltering summer of 2000 he meets Jennica Green, a nostalgic Californian who calculates that she's been lonesome 68.53 percent of her adult life. Though their initial acquaintance is fleeting, when fate next brings them together, at a screening of Maynard's film, romance intrudes. And as with most things in life, everyone has an opinion." "In the case of Maynard & Jennica, everyone includes many living and some dead relatives, a sultry scam artist who may or may not be Russian or Israeli or German, a hip-hop impresario named Puppy Jones, several dubious lawyers, a long-lost best friend, and a freelance contributor to The New Yorker. Maynard and Jennica introduces an astonishing number of narrators - thirty-five in all - while remaining true to the relationships at its heart."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible