As Time Goes By by Lori Wick

As Time Goes By (1992)

by Lori Wick

345445,459 (4)11

Boys will be boys, perhaps, but the way Jeffrey Taylor once hurt Roberta "Bobbie" Bradford's feelings was still inexcusable. Now that Bobbie is returning to Santa Rosa after a five-year absence, Jeff will finally have the chance to make it up to her in person. But her arrival back home throws Jeff strangely off-kilter in As Time Goes By by author Lori Wick.

Here's another novel I've now read thrice, which I think I first read in my teens.

I once loved this second book in The Californians series for various reasons, including that the heroine is considered to be rather plain. Bobbie also wears spectacles, and no, when she comes back to town, she's not an ugly-duckling-turned-beautiful-swan who's done away with her glasses to conveniently make her gorgeous. Not that romances have to make a big to-do about a heroine's physical looks either way (they most certainly do not), but it's still refreshing to see something different from this author's norm.

"Plain girls have dreams too, you know." Bobbie is competent and personable with a cheeky sense of humor, and she's regularly ready to cut folks some slack.

Even with the super cool heroine, though, I'll admit I don't feel the same about the story as I used to. It's often pretty schmaltzy and not the most natural. Having jumped straight to the second book in the series this time, I can see how certain minor characters and scenes don't really matter unless you already care about those characters from the previous book. Also, this novel has a lot of talk about salvation, prayer, and Bible reading, which I think can work if a novel's plot calls for it, but it feels overdone in this story.

Nevertheless, this is a feel-good kind of read for fans of ChristFic historical romance who can appreciate something that's easy to digest. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jun 6, 2018 |
After a humiliating betrayal, can friendship be restored?
  Indiancreek | Jan 8, 2018 |
I like this book because it talks about forgiving the one that hurt you in the past and give them one more chance to mend their mistakes. The main character of this story shows exactly this, as a result, her heart is capture. ( )
  juliecuevas | Jan 11, 2010 |
A story about how kids can hurt one another with words and actions. ( )
  Bookmouse | Feb 19, 2007 |
I wish to dedicate this book to my sons,
Timothy and Matthew.
Thank you for sledding, ball tag, cartoons in bed, and times of quiet play, so I’m free to write. You fill my life with love and joy, and I praise God that you are mine.
Jeffrey Taylor tiptoed up the back stairway of his house in stocking feet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0736919465, Paperback)

Lori Wick's bestselling series The Californians (more than 500,000 copies sold) has a fresh new cover design to delight avid Lori Wick fans and readers just introduced to Lori's beloved fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:23 -0400)

For five years handsome Jeff Taylor has wanted to apologize to Bobbie Bradford in person. But she left town the day after the humiliating episode at the picnic and never returned. Older now, Jeff has grown in his faith and as a man. Still, the news that Bobbie is returning to Santa Rosa while considering Cleve Ramsey's proposal of marriage comes as a shock. Will their friendship be restored after heartbreaking betrayal? Can love grow as time goes by?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,992,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible