So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by…

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (original 1984; edition 2005)

by Douglas Adams

11,51190335 (3.9)148
Member:epixpivotmaster
Title:So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2005), Paperback, 224 pages

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams (Author) (1984)

English (88)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
By "So long, and thanks for all the fish" I had the feeling Adams had gone to the well too many times. The "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy produced some classic scifi comedy moments, which this lacks. Still, Adams' fans will find much here to like, as long as they don't compare it too much with what came before. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Apr 16, 2019 |
Less frentic, easier to digest, more thoughtful than the previous installment, with a cute, quirky romance, and much less galaxy hopping. The humor is more subtle, the jokes have breathing room. A welcome change of pace. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This was okay. The further I get into this series, the more I don't really know where the ultimate story is going, and nothing really feels all that important. I'm beginning to not really care, and I will read the last book, but I'm not loving this series all that much. Arthur just isn't as endearing as he was in the first books, he hasn't had much character growth, and I'm not really sure what Ford Prefect is even doing. ( )
  jdifelice | Oct 28, 2018 |
I started out listening to this with my nephew, but he got bored of Arthur's return to Earth. So, despite my protestations, we started listening to something else together. As I continued to listen to this on my own I decided it was all for the best. This volume doesn't have quite as much in the way of wacky antics as the previous volumes; the absurdity is more character driven than plot driven. Since my nephew is not (yet?) interested in stories about people and feelings unless the people are having feelings between explosions, this wouldn't have appealed to him.

I found it delightful :) It's been so long since I first read it, it was like a brand new book again.

hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Okay, this was an odd one. It was different than the previous books. I'm not sure what I think about it. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jane

with thanks
to Rick and Heidi for the loan of their stable event
to Mogens and Andy and all at Huntsham Court for a number of unstable events
and especially to Sonny Mehta for being stable through all events.
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
[Book 4 Only] "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" is the title of the fourth in a series of novels (as well as the fourth in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Just when Arthur Dent's sense of reality is at its most clouded, he suddenly finds the girl of his dreams. He finds her in the last place in the Universe in which he would expect to find anything at all, but which 3,976,000,000 people will find oddly familiar. They go in search of God's Final Message to His Creation and, in a dramatic break with tradition, actually find it. PART FOUR IN A TRILOGY OF FIVE.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

Following his return to Earth, inexplicably still in existence, Arthur Dent experiences love at first sight, and he and the lovely Fenchurch go in search of God's Final Message to His Creation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,138,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible