Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

Mostly Harmless (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Douglas Adams

Member:Spider2013
Title:Mostly Harmless
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Audio

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1992)

English (71)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (74)
I was surprised about the low rated reviews here. I read the other four a while back so I have kind of forgotten them. However this book was enjoyable and funny, much funnier than say a Terry Pratchett novel. Similar humour but I click with Adams more I think. ( )
  polarbear123 | Jun 15, 2014 |
Conclusion to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I found this novel somewhat frustrating to read due to all the skipping around in space and particularly in time. I find myself, looking back on the series, very confused about the timeline associated with Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, due to their many travels, both on and off the planet Earth. Nevertheless, Douglas Adams does make for a snappy, satirical and humorous read, a unique voice in the genre of science fiction. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 1, 2014 |
It has been a good number of years since I last read the earlier books in this series, so I was pleased that the humor and storytelling still held up so well. The material that made up the earlier books started out as a radio program, I believe, so they have a more freewheeling sense about them than the later ones. That's the benefit of having so many successive (and successful) drafts. Still, this final book of the series (leaving aside the Eoin Colfer-penned And Another Thing from 2009, which attempts to extend the "trilogy" from five books to six) brings back many of the series' key characters and themes, providing not a few laughs along the way. Like most other readers, I found the ending an abrupt surprise, but unlike many of those who seem to feel the series went on one book too long, I am willing to go along with the joke. The late author might suggest that it doesn't much matter if I go along or not--the joke is still there and it's still on us all--but that I'm likely to find things a bit cheerier if I do. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
A fun story, but it really dragged at certain points. I’m also a bit disappointed with the ending. (It makes me want to read Eoin Colfer’s follow-up And Another Thing... just so the series doesn’t have to end like this.) But, overall, I still enjoyed Mostly Harmless. I would definitely recommend the Hitchhiker’s Guide series as a whole, even if this last installment isn’t my favorite. These books are particularly great in the audiobook format because Martin Freeman is an awesome narrator. ( )
  les121 | Dec 25, 2013 |
More varying and extreme contradictions here in regards to previous books. Only Arthurt Dent and Ford Prefect remain themselves in the story, and with the exception of Ford's mad escape from The Hitchhiker's Guide offices, I was rather bored with the story. Most of what I loved about the rest of the books is gone. Combine that with the ending, and I just about hated it. ( )
  andreablythe | Dec 20, 2013 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chiconi, OscarCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.
For Ron
With grateful thanks to Sue Freestone and Michael Bywater for their support, help and constructive abuse.
The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
[Book 5 Only] "Mostly Harmless" is the title of the fifth in a series of novels (as well as the fifth in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345418778, Mass Market Paperback)

Douglas Adams is back with the amazing, logic-defying, but-why-stop-now fifth novel in the Hitchhiker Trilogy. Here is the epic story of Random, who sets out on a transgalactic quest to find the planet of her ancestors. Line drawings.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:46 -0400)

In the fifth volume of the Hitchhiker series, Random, the daughter of Arthur Dent, leaves her remote home planet on the edge of the universe to set out a cross-galactic odyssey in search of her ancestors' native planet.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible