Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

Mostly Harmless (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Douglas Adams

Member:Spider2013
Title:Mostly Harmless
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Audio

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1992)

English (82)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (85)
Trillian leaves her grown daughter with Arthur, but Random Dent, a result of the merging of Trillian and Arthur's DNA, is not happy being abandoned and steals The Guide and a ship to go to alternate Earth and the team picks up the track. This installment is a little "off" compared to the first three, but it's still enjoyable for Adams' odd humor and side tracks. The audio reader is Martin Freeman, who does a really good job - especially Marvin's last scene is wonderful. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 26, 2016 |
Might as well have read them all! ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book despite the ending that seemed to not really be an ending and was rather confusing.
I was so excited to see Arthur living happily and then suddenly, that happiness in the form of the love of his life disappears as he finds himself on another adventure in space in search of the question to forty two and what it may have to do with everyone around him, particularly Fenny.
Eventually Arthur is able to find happiness on a planet similar to Earth while living a very simple life in the form of no technology and being known at The Sandwich Maker. Then out of the blue, Trillian appears with a little girl and he find out that the girl is named Random and she's his daughter. I laughed when I realized that out of his donations of sperm, his just happened to be mixed with Trillian to form a girl who is confused, angry at the world in general & wondering where she fits in.
This book also brings Ford back into the picture who also seems to mess up Arthur 's plans & yet there's a friendship of sorts.
There was insight into Trillian in a parallel universe who made different choices & had quite a different life.
This book certainly jumped around & came up with many suprised and left a lot of questions behind. This book was very random but I really didn't mind & found it entertaining.
I wasn't happy with how the book ended but I am still glad I read it. If Adams were able to give answers, I'd probably have questions a mile long.
Looking forward to the next book that wasn't fully written by Adams but is in the same series & hopefully answer a lot of the questions. ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
I've read somewhere that this book is not only a continuation of his "trilogy" but also a gift for all the fans of this saga. After reading I must say that it is precisely it. It felt like meeting some great friends after a long time, and all the things that made us all love them. Douglas Adams kept his way of philosophing in the most unique way. The book is full of the most accurate reflections about our place in this world. He was more than a writer, he was a modern philosopher. I'll miss him... ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
In 'Mostly Harmless' characters here seem to get their own chapters, starting with Trillian, as the characters all seem to be distant from each other. Mostly Harmless is much better than So Long (my least favorite in the series.) I love the bit with Ford jumping out the window - I can only imagine how cinematic that could have been.

Overall, the Hitchhiker's books are never TOO science-fictiony - a sci-fi newbie can understand all of the science here. Which is all the more amazing that Adams can come up with so many fresh ideas yet be so understandable. These books are at the top of that sci-fi mountain. I also was surprised to NOT find more dated British slang - there isn't any. Almost like Adams knew the books would be universal classics that would withstand time. Thinking of why this is a classic: the setting is imaginatively otherworldly from the beginning, there are the perfect number of main characters (interesting characters as well), the plot is always speedy and amazing, the number of ideas that are seemingly only thought up by Adams, and the humorous perfect writing itself. All of the elements are there. ( )
  booklove2 | Dec 31, 2015 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chiconi, OscarCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.
For Ron
With grateful thanks to Sue Freestone and Michael Bywater for their support, help and constructive abuse.
The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
[Book 5 Only] "Mostly Harmless" is the title of the fifth in a series of novels (as well as the fifth in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345418778, Mass Market Paperback)

Douglas Adams is back with the amazing, logic-defying, but-why-stop-now fifth novel in the Hitchhiker Trilogy. Here is the epic story of Random, who sets out on a transgalactic quest to find the planet of her ancestors. Line drawings.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

In the fifth volume of the Hitchhiker series, Random, the daughter of Arthur Dent, leaves her remote home planet on the edge of the universe to set out a cross-galactic odyssey in search of her ancestors' native planet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible