Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

Mostly Harmless (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Douglas Adams

Member:Spider2013
Title:Mostly Harmless
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Audio

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1992)

English (85)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (88)
read, need to buy. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
So I just realised that all my other editions of the series are the wrong editions. Oops. I'll fix that later.

ON WITH THE REVIEW.

This is an excellent edition, though. Martin Freeman's vocal work is on-point and he's the perfect man to recreate Adams' dry, laconic, insufferable British wit. This one had plenty of twists and turns, it wasn't my favourite but there were quite a few moments where I was definitely on the edge of my seat.

It was at times, completely bizarre and just straight-up confusing but I worked my way through it easily enough. I find, though, that like a lot of books in series, the books that aren't your complete and utter favourite (Looking at you, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish) tend to blend in with the rest of the series.

I don't really want to go into the plot too much because this book ties up a lot of the loose ends and plot holes that quite a few of the other books had. I was a little bit unsatisfied with how everything finished up but Adams is such a bizarre and wonderful writer, it's hard to stay mad at him.

4 stars from me. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
SF 1-Hitchkikers Guide to the Universe 2-The Restaurant at the End of the Universe 3-Life, the Universe and Everything 4-So Long and thanks for all the Fish 5-Mostly Harmless
  drbrendan | Jul 7, 2016 |
Another high.y amusing entry in the Hitchhicker's Guide Trilogy. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 1, 2016 |
This one, last in the series didnt make up to the other books in the series. It is little scientific and less humor compared to the other books in the series. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chiconi, OscarCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.
For Ron
With grateful thanks to Sue Freestone and Michael Bywater for their support, help and constructive abuse.
The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
[Book 5 Only] "Mostly Harmless" is the title of the fifth in a series of novels (as well as the fifth in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345418778, Mass Market Paperback)

Douglas Adams is back with the amazing, logic-defying, but-why-stop-now fifth novel in the Hitchhiker Trilogy. Here is the epic story of Random, who sets out on a transgalactic quest to find the planet of her ancestors. Line drawings.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

In the fifth volume of the Hitchhiker series, Random, the daughter of Arthur Dent, leaves her remote home planet on the edge of the universe to set out a cross-galactic odyssey in search of her ancestors' native planet.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible