Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

Mostly Harmless (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Douglas Adams

Member:epixpivotmaster
Title:Mostly Harmless
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1992)

English (94)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (97)
Crazy happy Robots. Insane InfiniDim. Adventurous Guide Ford. Happy satisfied Sandwichmaker Arthur. The confused but confident Trillian. Time Travel and Parallel Universe. Love this book. ( )
  deepa_nanjundaswamy | Aug 3, 2018 |
  deepahn | Aug 3, 2018 |
I don't know how to rate this installment. On the one hand, the writing is excellent, as always. The narration is outstanding. However, there's a vein of bitterness pushing through the narrative. It's subtle, and for the most part I didn't notice it as I listened. I don't think I even realized what it was I noticed until the book was done. After my brain calmed down from shouting, "What?!!?!! That's IT!!! What?!!?!!" I couldn't help but wonder if Mr. Adam's real purpose was to keep people from badgering him to write more in the series. I haven't done any research on that question - I'm not sure if I want to know or not.

All else being equal, I wouldn't even consider reading the posthumous 6th book in this series. Frankly, on first hearing about it, I felt downright offended. Then I saw the author - Eoin Colfer. So, I'm going to read the next volume and see how it goes. I don't want to expect brilliance. Only a whacko nutcase could expect brilliance from a 6th book in a series after the author murdered the main characters and destroyed the planet central to the narrative in every possible universe. Apparently, I am that nutcase. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Again, found it a hard time to stay entirely focused the whole way through the audiobook. This one as well is pending a reread. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I have read a few of the guides and enjoyed them, but this one seemed very disjointed. Aurthor finds a daughter. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 21, 2018 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiconi, OscarCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.
For Ron
With grateful thanks to Sue Freestone and Michael Bywater for their support, help and constructive abuse.
The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
[Book 5 Only] "Mostly Harmless" is the title of the fifth in a series of novels (as well as the fifth in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345418778, Mass Market Paperback)

Douglas Adams is back with the amazing, logic-defying, but-why-stop-now fifth novel in the Hitchhiker Trilogy. Here is the epic story of Random, who sets out on a transgalactic quest to find the planet of her ancestors. Line drawings.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

In the fifth volume of the Hitchhiker series, Random, the daughter of Arthur Dent, leaves her remote home planet on the edge of the universe to set out on a cross-galactic odyssey in search of her ancestors' native planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,817,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible