The Namesake: A Novel by Jhumpa Lahiri

The Namesake: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Jhumpa Lahiri

Member:Boobalack
Title:The Namesake: A Novel
Authors:Jhumpa Lahiri
Info:Mariner Books (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 291 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, East Indian Americans, Assimilation, Immigrants, Read

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (2003)

Recently added byprivate library, supercoldd, Jernsaksa, Solo-Star, Nadine_Feldman, gpartha, Smits, lainevierge

English (235)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (239)
Jhumpa Lahiri is God. *bows down in reverence*

Next up, in all probability, will be Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry. ( )
  supercoldd | Aug 27, 2015 |
The rich descriptions are this book's blessing and curse. On the one hand, this book has sent me to my own draft to examine how I can better describe my characters and settings. On the other hand, the book is heavy on detail and short on story. I still feel as though I don't know these characters very well. ( )
  Nadine_Feldman | Aug 26, 2015 |
The story of Gogul / Nikhill whose parents move to America from Calcutta India. There's was an arranged marriage that turns out well. They raise Gogul in an Indian home but with American traditions as well. Gogul must come to terms jwith who he is. Is he Indian/ American? ( )
  Smits | Aug 25, 2015 |
I was close to giving this book three stars, but the writing was so beautiful, I had to move it to four stars. Three stars would have been for the sadness of the story. I felt a sense of doom and regret all the time I was reading. (Perhaps my mood at the time?) Gogul,the main character was in several happy relationships, but I knew they would not last and they didn't. I absolutely love Lahiri's writing style, but I am beginning to wonder if she thinks the Indian immigrant experience can ever truly be happy. I will continue to read this author and will perhaps enjoy her more if I do not read two depressing novels in a row. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I greatly enjoyed this book. it just reinforces that no matter how hard you try, your roots always turn out to be important to you. A very enjoyable read.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Jhumpa Lahiri's quietly dazzling new novel, ''The Namesake,'' is that rare thing: an intimate, closely observed family portrait that effortlessly and discreetly unfolds to disclose a capacious social vision.

The reader should realize himself that it could not have happened otherwise, and that to give him any other name was quite out of the question.
        -- Nikolai Gogol, 'The Overcoat'
For Alberto and Octavio,
whom I call by other names
On a sticky August evening two weeks before her due date, Ashima Ganguli stands in the kitchen of a Central Square apartment, combining Rice Krispies and Planters peanuts and chopped red onion in a bowl.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618485228, Paperback)

Any talk of The Namesake--Jhumpa Lahiri's follow-up to her Pulitzer Prize-winning debut, Interpreter of Maladies--must begin with a name: Gogol Ganguli. Born to an Indian academic and his wife, Gogol is afflicted from birth with a name that is neither Indian nor American nor even really a first name at all. He is given the name by his father who, before he came to America to study at MIT, was almost killed in a train wreck in India. Rescuers caught sight of the volume of Nikolai Gogol's short stories that he held, and hauled him from the train. Ashoke gives his American-born son the name as a kind of placeholder, and the awkward thing sticks.

Awkwardness is Gogol's birthright. He grows up a bright American boy, goes to Yale, has pretty girlfriends, becomes a successful architect, but like many second-generation immigrants, he can never quite find his place in the world. There's a lovely section where he dates a wealthy, cultured young Manhattan woman who lives with her charming parents. They fold Gogol into their easy, elegant life, but even here he can find no peace and he breaks off the relationship. His mother finally sets him up on a blind date with the daughter of a Bengali friend, and Gogol thinks he has found his match. Moushumi, like Gogol, is at odds with the Indian-American world she inhabits. She has found, however, a circuitous escape: "At Brown, her rebellion had been academic ... she'd pursued a double major in French. Immersing herself in a third language, a third culture, had been her refuge--she approached French, unlike things American or Indian, without guilt, or misgiving, or expectation of any kind." Lahiri documents these quiet rebellions and random longings with great sensitivity. There's no cleverness or showing-off in The Namesake, just beautifully confident storytelling. Gogol's story is neither comedy nor tragedy; it's simply that ordinary, hard-to-get-down-on-paper commodity: real life. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:11 -0400)

A young man born of Indian parents in America struggles with issues of identity from his teens to his thirties.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,050,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible