I'll Always Love You by Hans Wilhelm

I'll Always Love You

by Hans Wilhelm

Recently added byprivate library, Julia.Reeb, SandieMcK, anne.baltren, I_L_L, Serenala, QMPC, jessica_5906

Age: 4

Source: Pierce County Library

jessica_5906 | Jun 9, 2014 |
A childs sadness at the death of his dog
Pierce County Library
  LindseyGreenlaw | Mar 14, 2014 |
it's about a boy and his dog Elfie. they like to take naps and play together. Elfie was getting old and couldn't do the stuff they use to do but one day she died i her sleep. so the family buried her in their front yard and gave her flowers.

ages 3-7
pierce county library
  KaylaL | Feb 27, 2014 |
I would have given this 5 stars, but it made me so sad! It really is a very good story about the love a boy has for his dog. The boy and dog grow together, playing and enjoying each other. But the dog grows old while the boy just gets older. In the end the dog dies from old age. The boy as able to look back on their relationship, happy that he told his dog, "I'll always love you." For dog lovers, this book really hits home. ( )
  aleader | Feb 1, 2014 |
A recent discussion in the Children's Books group I moderate has reminded me of this book, which - together with Judith Viorst's The Tenth Good Thing About Barney - is one of my top recommendations for those looking for books to help a child begin the grieving process for the loss of a pet.

"This is a story about Elfie - the best dog in the whole world" begins Hans Wilhelm's I'll Always Love You, in which a young boy and his beloved dachshund grow up together, only to be parted when Elfie grows old and dies. As he and his family begin to grieve, the narrator is comforted by the many wonderful adventures he had with Elfie, and by the fact that every day he told her: "I'll always love you."

With its simple but heartfelt narrative, and expressive (and often humorous) watercolor illustrations, this little picture book offers a sensitive portrayal of a child's love for his animal companion, and his grief at her loss. Young readers who are facing a similar situation will find comfort in Wilhelm's gentle story. Highly recommended. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 16, 2013 |
A touching but not over sentimental story in words and pictures of a boy and his relationship with his dog. It works on several levels: as well as showing the fun of having a dog and the amusing mishaps that can occur, the book also deals with the inevitable growing old and death of a pet. The first person narrative style is mot effective in conveying the love of boy for dog and the importance to the narrator of having expressed that love out loud. The author's own paintings of the ever more rotund Elfie and her master and family bring just the right touch of humour and sensitivity. Category: Infant/Junior. . ...., Knight, 2.50. Ages 5 to 8.
added by rd_ref | editBooks for Keeps, No. 42, Jill Bennett (Jan 1, 1987)

PreS-Gr 2-In this gentle , moving story, Elfie. a dachshund, and her special boy progress happily through life together. When she is young, Elfie is full of pep and pranks; but as her master grows taller and taller. Elfie grows fatter and slower. One morning Elfie does not wake up. The family grieves and buries her. and the boy refuses a new puppy. He is not yet ready for another pet; but when he is, he will tell that one, as he told Elsie every night. ' 'I'll always love you ... The watercolor illustrations, tender and warm in color and mood and cozily rounded in form. suit the simple text perfectly. Elsie's gradual change from a lively mischief-maker lo a portly old dog is treated with a sweet humor. Viorst's The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (Atheneum, 1971) and Cohen's Jim 's Dog Muffins (Greenwillow, 1984) also treat the loss of a beloved pet with great understanding, but anyone who has or ever had an old dog in the family will be especially touched by this book.
- Pat Pearl, First Presbyterian Church Library, Martinsville, Va.
added by rd_ref | editLibrary Journal, Pat Pearl (Dec 1, 1985)

A child's sadness at the death of a beloved dog is tempered by the remembrance of saying every night, "I'll always love you."

Illus. in full color. "In this gentle, moving story, Elfie, a dachshund, and her special boy progress happily through life together. One morning Elfie does not wake up. The family grieves and buries her. The watercolor illustrations, tender and warm in color and mood, suit the simple text perfectly."--School Library Journal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:32 -0400)

A child's sadness at the death of a beloved dog is tempered by the remembrance of saying to it every night, "I'll always love you."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,663,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible