I'll Always Love You by Hans Wilhelm

I'll Always Love You

by Hans Wilhelm

4771921,645 (4.48)1

32 months - Given to us by our vet Dr. Herman when we lost Maddie.
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A boy tells the story of Elfie, the best dog in the world. She and the boy grow up together, but Elfie grows old faster. When Elfie starts acting different from her usual self, the boy worries and they bring her to the vet, but the vet says that Elfie is just getting old. The boy reminds her of how much he cares for her because he says, “I’ll always love you” every day. When Elfie passes away, the boy is sure that she will know he will always love her. This is a sweet story that deals with death and loss of a pet in a great way. It shows that we should care for those close to us and tell them they are loved before they are gone, especially when they are in a delicate state. The soft, watercolor illustrations set the tone of this book, ensuring a light hearted feeling throughout the whole story. This book could be used with any age in a classroom, either to console children dealing with loss or just to expose them to a topic that is not often talked about, because it is good to discuss sad issues so that students know how to handle them. ( )
  k.hostetler11 | Oct 12, 2015 |
I really like this book because of the content in it. It is simply done, pictures and language wise. The pictures take you through the story well, and they are pictures that are calming to the reader. The story is pretty sad at times but the plot is a realistic and important one for kids to understand. The plot takes you through a little boy's journey of grief after his pet dog doesn't wake up one morning. I think it is important for students to understand death and dying, and that it is ok to be sad and upset. I don't think this book should be used in a classroom because of the sensitive subject matter, but at home with the parents, for sure. The main message in this book is understanding death, and that it is ok to be sad when it happens to someone around you. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 11, 2015 |
In my opinion, this book is too sad for children in Kindergarten to Second grade however it is too simple for older students. Although the plot was well-organized it was somewhat abrupt. The author built up the relationship with the boy and Elfie then ended it quickly. A majority of the book talked about the good times that the little boy and Elfie had and then after the visit to the vet, Elfie just passed away. I believe that young children will find this book upsetting and not enjoy the ending. Nevertheless, the book pushes the readers to think about tough issues, like losing a loved one. It brings the readers to reality when it informs them of Elfie's death. Children may enjoy reading about the fun times that the little boy had with Elfie but also might be able to relate to losing a pet or loved one. The general idea or message of this story teaches children to appreciate their loved ones and to frequently tell them that you love them because you never know when it'll be their time to pass. ( )
  nkwak1 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Age: 4

Source: Pierce County Library

jessica_5906 | Jun 9, 2014 |
A touching but not over sentimental story in words and pictures of a boy and his relationship with his dog. It works on several levels: as well as showing the fun of having a dog and the amusing mishaps that can occur, the book also deals with the inevitable growing old and death of a pet. The first person narrative style is mot effective in conveying the love of boy for dog and the importance to the narrator of having expressed that love out loud. The author's own paintings of the ever more rotund Elfie and her master and family bring just the right touch of humour and sensitivity. Category: Infant/Junior. . ...., Knight, 2.50. Ages 5 to 8.
added by rd_ref | editBooks for Keeps, No. 42, Jill Bennett (Jan 1, 1987)
PreS-Gr 2-In this gentle , moving story, Elfie. a dachshund, and her special boy progress happily through life together. When she is young, Elfie is full of pep and pranks; but as her master grows taller and taller. Elfie grows fatter and slower. One morning Elfie does not wake up. The family grieves and buries her. and the boy refuses a new puppy. He is not yet ready for another pet; but when he is, he will tell that one, as he told Elsie every night. ' 'I'll always love you ... The watercolor illustrations, tender and warm in color and mood and cozily rounded in form. suit the simple text perfectly. Elsie's gradual change from a lively mischief-maker lo a portly old dog is treated with a sweet humor. Viorst's The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (Atheneum, 1971) and Cohen's Jim 's Dog Muffins (Greenwillow, 1984) also treat the loss of a beloved pet with great understanding, but anyone who has or ever had an old dog in the family will be especially touched by this book.
- Pat Pearl, First Presbyterian Church Library, Martinsville, Va.
added by rd_ref | editLibrary Journal, Pat Pearl (Dec 1, 1985)

A child's sadness at the death of a beloved dog is tempered by the remembrance of saying every night, "I'll always love you."

Illus. in full color. "In this gentle, moving story, Elfie, a dachshund, and her special boy progress happily through life together. One morning Elfie does not wake up. The family grieves and buries her. The watercolor illustrations, tender and warm in color and mood, suit the simple text perfectly."--School Library Journal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

A child's sadness at the death of a beloved dog is tempered by the remembrance of saying to it every night, "I'll always love you."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,942,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible