Drum & Candle : First-hand Experiences and…

Drum & Candle : First-hand Experiences and Accounts of Brazilian Voodoo &… (1971)

by David St. Clair

I would have to say that I really enjoyed this book. Although it is dated (being written in 1971) it does give a very basic view into the faiths in Brazil. He gets things going with some history which is essential to understanding how Candomble. Then goes into a very nice history of Allen Kardec and his Spiritist movement (which is super large in Brazil). Then he goes into Umbanda and Quimbanda. Now even though he doesn't create a onestop book on these faiths he really gives a great basic understanding. Furthermore all through the book he has his own personal experiences and adventures in Brazil as well as interviews and oneshots of famous persons in the movements. Well worth the time spent reading it. ( )
  Loptsson | May 31, 2009 |
For Jurema Tavares my Brazilian mother

Para Jurema Tavares minha mae brasileira
Brazil is a mystical land, a land of the unknown, of the improbable, of the incredible. I saw this almost as soon as I arrived.

FROM BACK COVER:

In Drum and Candle you will meet:

• An American woman- sophisticated, college-educated, professing total disbelief in spirits - attended a Candomble ritual meeting. Suddenly, in the middle of the ceremony, she jumped from her seat, ran forward, and threw herself, writhing on the bare earth, in front of the altar.

• A poor, barely literate Brazilian peasant performs miraculous surgery with no anaesthetics, no training, and no equipment except a common kitchen knife. He credits his consistent success to the spirit of a dead German doctor.

• A woman medium, who had never met the author before, used a deck of cards to identify his profession, tell him the status of his current writing projects, and even predict accurately who he would interview in the future.

. . . And these are just a few of the remarkable incidents David St. Clair reports. Could it be hypnosis? Or just coincidence? Or could these "primitive" beliefs really tell us more about man than our "advanced" science?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible