Beauty and the Beast by Jan Brett

Beauty and the Beast (edition 1989)

by Jan Brett

Member:galc2
Title:Beauty and the Beast
Authors:Jan Brett
Info:Clarion Books (1989), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:classic, fairytale, romance, love, suspense, tragedy

Beauty and the Beast by Jan Brett

“Beauty and the Beast” was interesting and very different from Disney's adaptation. However, I did not really enjoy reading this book. The font was very small and always below the pictures. Sometimes, I would be so caught up in reading that I forgot above the words were illustrations. With that said, the illustrations were beautifully done in a way that made them look almost real. The main idea in this book is that beauty is on the inside not the outside. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Apr 28, 2014 |
This classic fairy tale story tells of a beauty who causes her father a misfortune and she must meet the beast. She is frightened at first, but he quickly falls in love with her, and turns into a prince. The illustrations bring the reader into a fairytale world and are very detailed. ( )
  MSittig | Oct 7, 2013 |
After reading Betsy Hearne's Beauties and Beasts - an international collection of folktales that incorporate the theme of the beastly, or enchanted spouse - recently, I've been considering doing a Beauty and the Beast reading project. Yes, yes, I know: another of my themed reading extravaganzas! But this fairy-tale, and its many variants, has always had a special place in my heart, and I think it would be fascinating to examine the diverse ways in which different authors and illustrators have interpreted it. Jan Brett being an immensely popular picture-book artist, I thought her retelling would be as good a place to start as any.

This retelling of the classic French tale of Beauty and the Beast features the intricate illustrations one would expect from Brett, from the gorgeous costumes to the appealing animals characters. Rather than use decorative borders to foreshadow, and tell more of her story (as she so often does), here Brett contrasts her foregrounded scenes, in which Beauty and her animal companions engage in a variety of activities, with her backgrounded tapestries, which (as careful readers will soon realize) depict the animals as they would appear, sans enchantment.

Like a friend and fellow reader, I think Brett made some smart aesthetic choices in her Beauty and the Beast, concentrating on animals (always one of her strengths), and cleverly working a dual narrative into the artwork itself. I also appreciated the fact that her Beast is a boar, rather than the more "traditional" bear-like creature - a clear tribute to the work of Walter Crane (as noted in the jacket blurb). I was a little less impressed with the text, and the changes Brett had to make, in order to incorporate the animal servants (I think I prefer the "breezes" that appear in some other retellings). All in all, a lovely retelling, though not my favorite. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 8, 2013 |
A simple retelling elegantly illustrated. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Lovely telling of a traditional story. I really enjoyed this version. ( )
  melodyreads | Mar 13, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039555702X, Paperback)

This beloved old French fairy tale has enjoyed renewed popularity in recent years. Beauty, as you may recall, is the youngest daughter of a devoted father who has fallen on hard times. Returning from a journey, he picks a rose for his daughter, enraging the owner of the rosebush, the fearsome boarlike Beast who inhabits a nearby castle. As payment for the rose, Beauty must leave her family and reside in the Beast's castle as his companion. She gradually comes to appreciate the Beast's kind nature, and, after leaving him to visit her family, realizes that she has fallen in love! Beauty willingly returns to her Beast, in time to break the spell that has caused his current, beastly countenance and restore him (and the servants in the castle) to their human forms.

Jan Brett--well-known for her artistry in Goldilocks and the Three Bears and The Mitten--has worked her usual magic on this beautiful edition of Beauty and the Beast. In a unique visual spin on the story, the tapestries hung on the walls of the Beast's castle reveal the true identities of the animal servants who are under the same spell as the Beast--a subtle, fascinating feature that may not be noticed until the second or third reading. The story's old-fashioned and graceful language perfectly accompanies the French court setting. One of the finest takes on this classic tale, Brett's Beauty and the Beast is described by Kirkus Reviews as "a lovely, carefully made edition of an old favorite." (Ages 5 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:23 -0400)

Through her great capacity to love, a kind and beautiful maid releases a handsome prince from the spell which has made him an ugly beast.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible