The Dark-Hunter Companion by Sherrilyn…
Member:mom2lnb
Title:The Dark-Hunter Companion
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:Romance, Romance Alternate Reality, Romance Alternate Reality Gods & Goddesses, Romance Alternate Reality Vampires, Romance Alternate Reality Were-Animals & Shapeshifters

The Dark-Hunter Companion by Sherrilyn Kenyon

I haven't actually read the full companion, only The Dark Hunter Christmas short story. It's just a short story about a man feeling lost without his family. I thought it was very sweet. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
I've been saying for a while now that I need a Dark-Hunter encyclopedia to keep track of all the characters and mythology of the series, and here it is. The Dark-Hunter Companion is written in an entertaining way with the narrator assuming that the reader has just been turned into a Dark-Hunter, and this is the handbook to their job. Each section begins with a full-page black and white illustration done in the manga style. I'm not sure which characters some of them represented, but they were still very nice additions to the book. I've always thought this series was a little too complex, and the sheer number of characters who are listed in the directory portions and the fact that I don't even remember some of them only solidified my opinion. In some ways, the mythology is a little clearer for having read this book. However, the "rules" that are laid out for each species make the world seem a bit more static than it actually is. In the novels, it seems like “rules” are meant to be broken, so the mythology is an ever-changing, constantly evolving thing that often frustrates me. In that respect, this book did little to help me make sense of it all, but overall I did enjoy it.

The first section of the book, 'So You're a Dark-Hunter...', is a primer of sorts on the Dark-Hunters: how they are made, what is expected of them in their job, what they can and cannot do, etc. There are also two glossaries of terms, one for powers and one for weapons, but much like with the laundry lists of characters, I honestly can't remember even half of these things being mentioned in the books. The second section, 'Dark-Hunter Directory,' is exactly what it sounds like, a directory of all the Dark-Hunters, both primary and secondary characters, who have ever been in any books up to the point that this one was written. Me barely remembering some of the lesser characters, if at all, in my opinion, just goes to show what a broad brush Sherrilyn Kenyon uses to paint these stories. For those characters who do turn up again from time to time, I think it will help me to recall them better.

The next six sections cover all the other “species” or sub-groups within the Dark-Hunter world, including Were-Hunters, Dream-Hunters, Squires, Daimons and Appolites, Gods, Goddesses and Demons, and last, but certainly not least, Humans. Each section begins with a detailed discussion of the mythology surrounding each group, followed by a directory of characters and terms specific to each group. I particularly enjoyed the menus for each of the Were-Hunter safe houses: Peletier House, Dante's Inferno, and The Seregenti Club. I'm not sure I'd ever read the entire Squire's Oath, so that was a nice addition too. Admittedly though, the directories could be slightly dry when reading them straight through word for word like I was doing, as it really is much like reading an encyclopedia. These sections are probably better suited for reference when you want to know more about a particular character or some unfamiliar word.

Next up is a short history of Atlantis and the legends surrounding it, as well as a brief dictionary of Atlantean words and phrases that are commonly used in the series. Then there is a section on Greek culture. The sub-sections on Greek superstitions and sayings were particularly interesting. It also contains a dictionary of the Greek alphabet, numbers, and common words, and then wraps up with some tasty-sounding Greek recipes. Sandwiched in between these two sections is the 'Hidden Chapter.' You won't find it in the table of contents, and it's all about Acheron. Since Ash is my very favorite Dark-Hunter character, this section gave me a little sigh of satisfaction and left me even more eager to get to his book. Only one more left to go.:-) I just hope it lives up to the hype for me.

There is also a section on New Orleans which details several points of interest and fun facts about the city. This would definitely come in handy if I ever get a chance to visit. Much like the Greek section, this one wraps up with a Cajun dictionary and a few Cajun recipes. Next is an interview with Sherrilyn Kenyon which I found to be insightful, followed by two fun interviews with Acheron and Simi. After that is a short Dark-Hunter parody called 'Widget Bone's Diary' which was pretty funny. It is followed by the Dark-Hunter short story, Second Chances which I had already previously read and have reviewed separately below. The final section contains a synopsis for Saving Grace, which was later retitled Fantasy Lover, and four deleted scenes from Night Embrace and Seize the Night. Reading the synopsis, it was interesting to see how the book changed from the original concept to publication. The excerpts were all quite good. In some ways, I wish they had been left in their respective books, because they provided more information about, and development of, certain characters. The book wraps up with a handy reading order for the series and a list of all the official series websites, although it looks like most of them simply redirect to various sections of Sherrilyn Kenyon's official website.

The Dark-Hunter Companion is a pretty comprehensive guide to the series, at least up to the point it was written. The only things I thought might have been nice to include would have been family trees for some of the extensive families who have several members, and perhaps a time-line of births, deaths and important events in the Dark-Hunter world. Readers should be warned that if they haven't read all the novels and short stories that were published prior to this book, there are many spoilers contained within its pages. So, unfortunately, it will be of little help to anyone who is just starting the series, unless they don't mind having major plot points revealed. Overall, The Dark-Hunter Companion is a nice reference that will probably come in quite handy in the future if I'm having trouble remembering who a particular character is or what a certain word means.

Second Chances - Second Chances is a very brief little story about Dark-Hunter leader, Acheron, and his "brother," Styxx, which gave even more fascinating insights into this intriguing and complex character. Once again, Ash shows his deep capacity for caring about others even when they've wronged him. All throughout my reading of this novella, I couldn't help wanting to know more about Ash's past and all that has happened in the long centuries of his life. He is certainly a character who draws me in every time I read about him, a feat very few have accomplished, which leaves me absolutely dying to get to his book, but alas, I still have a long way to go (at the time I originally wrote this ;-)) in the Dark-Hunter series to get there. Second Chances was originally published as an exclusive collector's booklet that was given away with Unleash the Night. It can also be found in it's entirety within the pages of The Dark-Hunter Companion and Acheron, as well as be read for free on Sherrilyn Kenyon's website. Star Rating: 4.5 ( )
  mom2lnb | Feb 25, 2013 |
An excellent companion to the series. A book to have if you start forgetting who is who and their relationships to each other, published in 2007 you can see some hints of future books in this with the guides to people but overall it's not one for someone not a fan.

It includes recipes, a short story, some deleted scenes and a lot of information. It's presented as a guide to being a dark-hunter and the low-down on the world that you would now find yourself in, with scarcasm and asides.

One for fans. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 24, 2012 |
An incite into a much complicated and loved world. I hope that when we've gotten more into the world that she puts another one out covering the beings that are still somewhat of an enigma to us. Wonderful reading, and gives you more background than I realized that she had in her head! Get it if you are a true Kenyon Minion!
  shelliegail | Jan 9, 2010 |
Ever wanted to understand the Atlantean language? Want an insider's guide to the world that is the Dark-Hunter universe? Then you don't want to miss this.
This is THE official handbook given to all new Dark-Hunters once they cross over and it's chock full of nitty-gritty details, including some never before known tidbits.

It also includes deleted scenes from the novels and an excerpt as well as the short story Second Chances and it has a whole section on how to be Greek (as in the country of Greece not a frat or sorority). It also has interviews with Sherri, Acheron and Simi.
  amarynt | Apr 19, 2009 |
Congratulations!

Consider this handbook your education.  Hunter 101.  And don't go thinking you got off easy just because there's not a pop quiz at the end.  This is the good stuff. The real deal.  In here you'll find out all there is to know about being a Dark-Hunter.

Now for the disclaimer: This book is mutable. It goes with the wind.  It changes more often than the mind of a sixteen-year-old Gemini with a closet full of clothes and a date in an hour.  Don't be surprised if you open it up for the thirty-five thousandth time and find something old, something new, something borrowed or. . .well you get the point.

Curl up in a comfy chair with some millennium-old scotch and feast upon the informative banquet I have prepared for your enjoyment.

Welcome to your new life.

---From the Dark-Hunter Companion

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

A companion to the author's Dark-Hunter series provides detailed synopses of each of the books, a complete breakdown of the fictional world and the rules of the Dark-Hunters, a cast of characters, and an interview with the author.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible