Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book…

Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Lara Adrian

Member:mstx
Title:Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1)
Authors:Lara Adrian
Info:Dell (2007), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Hunter-sands, Your library

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (sbrew1)
    sbrew1: I love this series. Laurel K. Hamilton starts out with a heroin that gets corrupted along the way and you feel like you get corrupted right along with the character. Very erotic after you get to the third book in the series.

English (69)  German (3)  All languages (72)
Nice creepy beginning, this author seems to have style because I could totally mentally see the scene I was reading.
Interesting back story to how the Breeds were started, alien heritage. At least going about the story of vampires intelligently.
Holy mother of God the first sex scene was hot! Whew, do not read in public people. Jesus talk about starting the new year off right!
Kind of crazy when Gabrielle sees Lucan feeding for the first time. She seems to be running around in a frightened state for a long time. The story is starting to lose some of it's tenseness because of Gabrielle always being in these situations, give me something new author.
Don't know how I feel about the term breedmate (women with a certain birthmark who are compatible with the breeds aka vampires and can produce offspring but only male offspring ), it doesn't sound very complimentary to the women.
I thought it seemed out of place how soon Gabrielle has booty with Lucan again after finding out about him being a vampire and then sitting with him as he battled his bloodlust. She sure seemed freaked out and felt very betrayed after he lied to her so much but then climbs into bed with him without really hashing out anything? Let's make it more of a story authors and add conversations instead of solving everything in the sack.
The identity of the betrayer was a shocker but only in the fact that they weren't given much story to begin with so without knowing them it was really hard to suspect them. So it was a surprise but one I didn't relish.
This book was pretty good, not a long convoluted story line that was hard to follow, easy to follow lore of how the vampires came about, and detailed visionary writing.
Nice little lead of making Lucan's brother Marek turn out to still be alive so we have that connecting thread for the next book in the series and something to look forward to. I like how the warriors were introduced, some story on them all but they didn't distract or interrupt Lucan's story. I'm personally looking forward to Tegan's story, can you say badass mofo!
I think this book and so far this series would good be for people who are leery of paranormal/vampire books. Not what I would really consider a romance but there are some hot sweaty booty scenes. Definitely worth your time if you are looking for something new and different to read.

B ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
so this book was ok... there were some things I didn't like about it. Interesting story line but there seemed to be something missing. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Getting into this book took some time, but I ended up really enjoying the world and characters that Adrian created. It was, I admit, predictable, and I would have liked a slower progression in the relationship at the center of the book, as well as a little less melodrama, but it was an easy read and a fun escape. I'll probably at least read the next book in the series and see how it goes. I'm not sure this stands up to the other series in this genre that I've come to really love, but I imagine most paranormal romance readers will enjoy it for what it is. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Dec 10, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Book #1 in The Midnight Breed
Rating 3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Gabrielle Maxwell has always felt like an outsider until the night she witnesses a brutal murder and is thrust into a hidden world of vampires on the verge of a blood war. Gabrielle soon learns that her destiny is intertwined with this strange yet compelling world as well as that of Lucan Thorne, the fierce leader of the vampire warrior class, who suffers from private demons of his own. Can these two people come together despite their differences to battle the threat in their midst?

Review:
Not the most original of plots for its basic premise and characters are far too similar to the first Black Dagger Brotherhood book (which I began reading but could not finish).
The descriptions of bloodlust, mind control, blood sucking and flesh burning remind me of why I am not a fan of the undead and prefer ghosts, psychics, demons and shapeshifters in my paranormal romance.
Moreover, there is something about Gabrielle and Lucan’s relationship that just did not mesh with me. Each is intriguing in his/her own right but something is missing, perhaps a lack of chemistry or underdeveloped tension between them.
In addition, I don't like it when extraterrestrials are used as an explanation for paranormal phenomenon as this demonstrates a profound lack of imagination – let’s just blame the aliens!
Despite these shortcomings, I did enjoy the romance and the twists and turns in the plot, especially the intriguing revelation at the end. I am also interested in reading about the other members of the warrior class, especially Tegan and Rio, and will be reading the next book in the series.
Recommendation: The series has potential so I can recommend reading this one as exposition for the next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
For John, whose faith in me has never faltered, and whose love, I hope, will never fade.
Her baby wouldn't stop crying. She'd started fussing at the last station, when the Greyhound bus out of Bangor stopped in Portland to pick up more passengers. Now, at a little after 1 A.M., they were almost to the Boston terminal, and the two-plus hours of trying to soothe her infant daughter were, as her friends back in school would say, getting on her last nerve

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . .

The Midnight Breed Series reading order:

Book 0.5: A Touch of Midnight (prequel novella)
Book 1: Kiss of Midnight
Book 6: Ashes of Midnight
Book 7: Shades of Midnight
Book 8: Taken by Midnight
Book 9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book 9.5: A Taste of Midnight (novella)
Book 10: Darker After Midnight
The Midnight Breed Series Companion
Book 11: Edge of Dawn
Book 12: Crave the Night (on sale Aug 5, 2014)
Book 12.5: Tempted by Midnight (on sale Oct 14, 2014)

...and more to come!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589377, Mass Market Paperback)

Book 1 in the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell's deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night--or this man--is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed--a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind--and the unwitting humans existing alongside them--from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed's formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

Drawn to the enigmatic stranger she sees across the room in a crowded dance club, Gabrielle Maxwell is drawn into the dark and dangerous world of hunter vampires, one in which a blood war is on the edge of ignition, when she falls for Lucan Thorne, a vampire Breed warrior sworn to protect other vampires and humans from the threat of the Rogues.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible