Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book…

Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Lara Adrian

1,264None6,260 (3.78)41
Member:BookLizard
Title:Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1)
Authors:Lara Adrian
Info:Dell (2007), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:vampires, rouges, Boston, photographers

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (sbrew1)
    sbrew1: I love this series. Laurel K. Hamilton starts out with a heroin that gets corrupted along the way and you feel like you get corrupted right along with the character. Very erotic after you get to the third book in the series.

English (58)  German (3)  All languages (61)
Didn't think I would like this as much as I did. It was a pretty interesting concept on a vampire society. A lot of reviews says that Kiss of Midnight is a lot like J.R. Ward's [b:Black Dagger Brotherhood|42899|Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)|J.R. Ward|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309209351s/42899.jpg|2158128] series. Probably, but I think it as a lot going for it on it's own. I see it as a tamer version but with a more interesting and easier to grasp back story on the vampire history. The women or at least Gabrielle was a strong female heroine and the men didn't seem too Alpha male like. I loved Gabrielle's and Lucan's story so much I wouldn't mind if the entire series was about them, I could see many trials they might go through, alas it was obvious that it would be following the lives of the other Breed Warriors. Hope to see what's going on in Gabs and Lucan's relationship through the eyes of the other warriors.

Really interesting vampire story and actually couldn't help having interest in knowing more about the other warriors, especially Dante and Gideon. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
I have to say that reading this book a second time was just a thrilling as the first time. This is a new idea on the vampire legend. These vampires came here as aliens in the very distant past. There were eight originally. These original eight were cruel, savage and bent on destroying all of mankind, which was more than a little stupid since the need humans to survive. This first story is about the leader of the warrior Order that keeps all vampires and humans safe from the Rogue element. The Rogues are those males that have become addicted to taking blood and killing. The leader of the Order is Lucan Thorne and he is a Gen One vampire. He has been around for hundreds of years. He has given everything that he has to keep his race safe. He has hunted and fought day in and day out. He is loyal and strong. He is commanding and honorable. He is also totally unprepared for Gabrielle Maxwell. Gabrielle is all he has ever wanted and thought he couldn't have.

Gabrielle has been lonely and afraid for most of her life. She has felt that doesn't belong in the society that she lives in. She was brought up in the foster care system which is sad at the best of times. Her mother was killed by a Rogue when she was a baby but she doesn't know that until well into the book. Gabrielle has a gift for finding and photographing Rogue and vampire hideouts. She is drawn to these locations for reasons that she has never understood. Gabrielle is loyal, loving, compassionate and tender. When she meets Lucan she falls for him hard. He shows her that passion can be more than either of them has ever possible. Lucan fights this with all his might but he can't get past how Gabrielle draws him to her.

I loved this book the first time I read and I love it just as much this time. There are some every sad parts, such as the loss of one of the warriors and the severe wounding of another one. There is also betrayal for a trust family member. Ms. Adrian has put together a well thought out world with every interesting characters and locations. She makes you care for the people you are reading about. She makes you see the desolation of what the Rogue wrought. She brings you into the world of the warriors and the danger they face every day. I look forward reading the rest of this series. ( )
  LadyIsis | Dec 24, 2013 |
Felt like I was reading the story backwards. Lust was instantaneous and they had sex before they knew anything about each other. Then their fears and vulnerabilities were presented. So for me the beginning was a little off putting. While Gabrielle was sleeping and unaware Lucan gives her oral. This was there first meeting and no consent was given, I didn't find that sexy. Despite the cliches and the similarity to J.R. Ward's books, it was an enjoyable read with hints of future greatness. Hoping future books in the series are better. ( )
  saturnnalia | Nov 22, 2013 |
I can definitely see the parallels to J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Here we have a vampire society protected by an elite group of warriors who fight against the vampires that have given in to the "dark side" and become slaves to their blood thirst (the Rogues). They are wedded to their jobs as essentially killers, so of course they absolutely, positively, will never, ever, allow themselves to get involved with or care about a woman, because that would get in the way of their noble mission. So, of course, the novels chronicle the various warriors' futile struggles against destiny and true love. This first one focuses on the group's leader, Lucan Thorne, who is quite a prickly character (ha, ha, ha!).

There are some differences here, though, and some new takes (or at least new to me) on the whole vampire mythology. First, in Adrian's world, vampires are aliens. Yes, you heard me, aliens. I still haven't decided exactly how I feel about that part, but at least it's original. I mean, is it any less believable that some of the other explanations? The first of them crash-landed on earth and were responsible for wiping out entire civilizations (ever wonder what happened to Atlantis?). They came to realize that they could mate with human females (because all of the vampires in this world are male), but only certain, extra special ones with a certain birthmark. Lucan is among the first generation of such a union, and with other warriors he was responsible for reigning in the chaos and figuring out how to co-exist with humans without slaughtering them. The special females are called Breedmates and usually have some sort of special, extraordinary ability. They don't get turned into vampires, but they share blood with their mates, and that keeps them young and virtually immortal (unless, of course, their mate dies and they don't re-mate, which means that they then would age normally), yet fully human. (Yay, they can still eat chocolate!) There is, however, apparently an equivalent to divorce in their society (you'll see what I mean when you read this book).

There was an awful lot of growling and grunting throughout this book. One thing Adrian does emphasize is the animalistic nature of the vampires. They are not sparkly. They are not gentle. They are, underneath it all, killers, whether that killing is for the greater good (the warriors) or just for kicks and to slake their thirst (the Rogues). There is a very thin line between the good guys and the bad guys here, and sometimes those lines blur. To me, that's a little more realistic. I definitely plan to read the rest of the novels in this series because it was just different enough to spark my interest. ( )
  arbjames | Nov 10, 2013 |
Her baby wouldn't stop crying. She'd started fussing at the last station, when the Greyhound bus out of Bangor stopped in Portland to pick up more passengers. Now, at a little after 1 A.M., they were almost to the Boston terminal, and the two-plus hours of trying to soothe her infant daughter were, as her friends back in school would say, getting on her last nerve

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . .

The Midnight Breed Series reading order:

Book 0.5: A Touch of Midnight (prequel novella)
Book 1: Kiss of Midnight
Book 6: Ashes of Midnight
Book 7: Shades of Midnight
Book 8: Taken by Midnight
Book 9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book 9.5: A Taste of Midnight (novella)
Book 10: Darker After Midnight
The Midnight Breed Series Companion
Book 11: Edge of Dawn
Book 12: Crave the Night (on sale Aug 5, 2014)
Book 12.5: Tempted by Midnight (on sale Oct 14, 2014)

...and more to come!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589377, Mass Market Paperback)

Book 1 in the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell's deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night--or this man--is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed--a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind--and the unwitting humans existing alongside them--from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed's formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:33 -0400)

Drawn to the enigmatic stranger she sees across the room in a crowded dance club, Gabrielle Maxwell is drawn into the dark and dangerous world of hunter vampires, one in which a blood war is on the edge of ignition, when she falls for Lucan Thorne, a vampire Breed warrior sworn to protect other vampires and humans from the threat of the Rogues.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible