Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book…

Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Lara Adrian

1,420675,321 (3.78)42
Title:Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1)
Authors:Lara Adrian
Info:Dell (2007), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:vampires, rouges, Boston, photographers

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian (Author)

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (sbrew1)
    sbrew1: I love this series. Laurel K. Hamilton starts out with a heroin that gets corrupted along the way and you feel like you get corrupted right along with the character. Very erotic after you get to the third book in the series.

English (64)  German (3)  All languages (67)

Gabrielle Maxwell, is a photographer of gothic and abandoned buildings and is starting to increase in popularity. She is not used to the attention. On a night of celebration, she and her friends go to an infamous club that is becoming all the rage. From the first moment she enters, she feels uncomfortable and has an uneasy feeling. Her friends seem to be enjoying it all, but all Gabrielle can think about is the peace and quiet of her home. On her way out, she is the only witness to a horrific murder, and she takes pictures. But the police can’t see what she does, and believe she is insane. Lucan Thorne, is a breed warrior, and one of the oldest of his kind and also considered to be royalty. But Lucan fights along side the rest of his warriors to bring an end to the rogues who kill without thought. Lucan wants better for their race and for the future of their children. But when he finds that a human woman is targeted by his enemies, he will have no choice but to bring her into his dangerous world. Lucan senses something different about Gabrielle and learns that she is a breedmate. Which is very rare, a human woman that is capable of being resistant to their “charms” and able to bear children and mate with one of their kind. Lucan is drawn to Gabrielle, she is different than most human women, and despite the danger that surrounds them….even though he doesn’t deserve it, he needs her and wants her as his mate.

Plot and Story Line

Kiss At Midnight is the first in the series and the first book I have read from this author. I have had my eye on this author for quite a while. But I hadn’t yet picked up anything from her, even thoughI do love a good vampire romance and boy did I love this book. It had everything that I look for in a paranormal romance. What is interesting is that I picked this one up at the library but didn’t plan on it. I just glanced at a shelf, saw this series, and picked the first book. This story starts off with a quick pace, and I was swept away by the story from the first page. It picks up with Gabrielle at a gallery showing of her work. Gabrielle is different from most heroines I have read. She is quiet and reserved, she likes to be on her own unless she is with her close group of friends. She tends to break the law to get the perfect photo. I loved her strength and her tenacity and she has this certain view of the world that is so different and I loved how unique her character is. Not your average heroine yet she was so easy to relate with on a human level. She has certain characteristics I felt close to.

Maybe she should cut the guy a little slack, maybe Thorne had been a no-show because something bad happened to him on the job.

What if he’d been injured in the line of duty and didn’t come by as promised because he was incapacitated in some way? Maybe he hadn’t called to apologize or to explain his absence because he physically couldn’t.

Right. And maybe she had checked her brain into her panties from the second she first laid eyes on the man.”
Now lets talk about our hero of the story. Dear Dear Lucan…how I adore thee!! Lucan is quite the alpha, he is the leader, a protector and willing to sacrifice himself for his warriors. He fights with those men he respects and even loves. Lucan is a bit self deprecating at times, he underestimates his own worth, but he is a fighter and won’t rest until the rogues are gone. The romance between these two is steamy and slow burning at times. Its not a insta love. They definitely have instant chemistry, from the first chapter they are drawn to one another.

“God, was this what Savannah meant when she said the blood-bond would enhance lovemaking? Gabrielle looked at Lucan with pure carnal need, hardly knowing where to begin with him. She wanted to devour him, worship him, use him up. Slake the coiling need that was churning inside of her.
“You should have warned me you were feeding me an aphrodisiac.”

Lucan grinned up at her. “And spoil the surprise?”

“Laugh it up, vampire.” Gabrielle arched a brow, then gripped his stiff erection and sheathed him to the hilt in one long move. “You just promised me eternity, you know. I can make you live to regret it.”

“Yeah?” The word was more of a strangled groan as she rocked on him, making his hips buck sharply beneath her.Eyes blazing now, he gave her a glimpse of fang as he smiled, clearly enjoying his torture. “Breedmate, I’m going to love seeing you try.”
But when it comes to the actual emotional side of their relationship, that takes a bit slower to form and develop. There are secrets and misunderstandings and a bit of miscommunication. However, Lucan and Gabrielle see each other as they truly are and understand each other in a way that no other does. I liked that they have a bond with each other even if they don’t realize it. The supporting characters were quite fun. I loved the other warriors, they have great humor and have this energy that is contagious.

“Jesus,” Dante interjected when the heavy quiet in the vehicle seemed endless. “All this touchy feely is making me itchy to kill something. How about we quit jerking each other off and go blow the roof off this mutha?”
Then we have the villain or groups of villains. Now these are pretty bad and evil creatures. They are vampires but are rogues. Meaning, they don’t care about consequences or how many humans they destroy. But the leader has a connection to Lucan I totally didn’t see coming. Then we have a betrayal, and a death that was so heartbreaking it brings tender emotions to the surface. There was passion, suspense, danger, tearjerking upheaval and a story that makes me crave the second book!! Can’t wait for my next trip to the library.

The Cover

I love the style of this cover. Its a bit similar to Rebecca Zanetti’s vampire series as well. I like the contrast of the yellow and midnight blue. We have the imagery of the sexual tension and then below we have the sense of danger and a graveyard…spooky.

Overall View

Kiss Of Midnight is a stimulating story of sensual desire, enigmatic characters, and a riveting plot! THRILLS ON EVERY PAGE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Sep 3, 2015 |
Paranormal Romance. Midnight Breed 1. Photographer Gabrielle sees a vampire murder outside a club, Lucan Thorne is the vamp love interest. OK+
  C4RO | Jun 2, 2015 |
Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Book #1: Midnight Breed Series
Source: Purchase
My Rating: 4/5
My Review:

The Midnight Breed series is one of the first on-going vampire series I read when I discovered the paranormal genre and now that I have started a re-read of the series, I am being reminded of why I fell in love with genre years ago.

Kiss of Midnight is the first full-length novel of the Midnight Breed series and it starts the series off in a big, bad way. Lucan Thorne is a Gen One member of the Breed and one of the oldest vampires currently walking the Earth. Lucan’s father was one of the cruelest of his kind and in the throes of Bloodlust he killed Lucan’s mother. In that moment a warrior was born and for centuries Lucan and the few other men who have pledged themselves to Lucan and his cause, have protected the Breed from those among them who have succumbed to Bloodlust. Over the centuries Lucan and the Order have become a well-oiled machine and though their numbers are small have managed to keep the Rogue population in check and the human population oblivious to their presence.

Gabrielle Maxwell is a successful photographer and with her small group of friends, she has a decent life. She is successful in her career but not quite so in her personal life. As an infant, Gabrielle was abandoned by her mother who later killed herself while institutionalized. After several foster homes and returns to the foster care system one home finally stuck but even the Maxwell’s couldn’t make Gabrielle feel totally accepted. Unbeknownst to Gabrielle, she is a Breed mate and her lack of fitting in is a direct result of her not having found the people she belongs with just yet. One awful night will bring everything into focus (HA!! I crack myself up!!) for Gabrielle and introduce her to a world she never knew existed.

After a very successful gallery showing, Gabrielle and her friends stop into the hot new night club for a few drinks and some dancing. Though Gabrielle enjoys her friends she despises the large, noisy space and opts out earlier than her companions. Once outside, Gabrielle stumbles upon a vicious attack and though she is terrified she knows she has to report the crime and in a moment of clarity, she snaps several pictures with her cell phone. Gabrielle has the best of intentions but the event she captures on her cell is fuzzy at best and when the cops arrive, there is zero evidence of the crime she reported. Fearful she is going crazy like her biological mother did, Gabrielle is beyond relieved when “Detective” Lucan Thorne shows up on her doorstep to follow-up on her report.

In short order both Gabrielle and Lucan realize they are in way over their respective heads. The danger is high, the lust and like are even higher and, if the indications are correct, the Rogues are organizing and threatening everyone and everything the Order has fought to protect. Bringing Gabrielle into the fold is as dangerous for her as it is for Lucan but as events play out both realize they cannot be without the other and they are strong by each other’s side.

The Bottom Line: Kiss of Midnight is a fine start to what turns into a very long and involved paranormal series. I like it when an author begins a series with the leader rather than putting him or her off until well into the series and that is exactly what Adrian does with this read. Lucan Thorne is so dark and jaded after nearly a thousand years of life and Gabrielle reminds him of what truly living can be like. Gabrielle is fierce and though she is totally scared shitless by the world she has stumbled into she isn’t going to let that fear keep her away from the man she loves. In addition to the love story, Adrian establishes, with the unusual organization of the Rogues and the emergence of another Gen One, the long-term arc for the series. In all, Miss of Midnight pulled me in years ago and it did so again when I picked up for the re-read. Onward and upward, dear reader, book two awaits  ( )
  arthistorychick | Feb 7, 2015 |
The Characters

Lucan Thorne, Gabrielle Maxwell

Lucan is a complicated male. And yes, no one understands him but his woman. These breed warriors are long lived and lonely (though they’d never admit it). Lucan fights so hard to continue that sad lonely existence but really he didn’t stand a chance against Gabrielle.

The Story

This new world (new to me anyway) is very intriguing. A bit violent, a lot sensual and very addictive. I’m sorry I waited so long to start the series.

The Random Thoughts

*I couldn’t wait to get in the car to finish this, I had to break out my headphones.

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Nov 10, 2014 |
Kiss of Midnight was an easy enjoyable read however there seem to be quite a few series that run along the same 'warrior that finds, fights for and finally is bonded to his mate' theme. It reminded me of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Darkhunter series and J.R. Ward's BlackDagger Brotherhhood series. They are all slightly different in there own way but they all share similar qualities: alpha male vampire-like warriors with a cause to fight for who meet lonely women, an obstacle to overcome which threaten's the lives of the warriors and the women, obstacle is dealt with, couples realise they will love each other forever and sometimes form a life long bond. This can become mundane after a dozen or so of these books so I think I'm going to swear off them for a while. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Her baby wouldn't stop crying. She'd started fussing at the last station, when the Greyhound bus out of Bangor stopped in Portland to pick up more passengers. Now, at a little after 1 A.M., they were almost to the Boston terminal, and the two-plus hours of trying to soothe her infant daughter were, as her friends back in school would say, getting on her last nerve

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . .

The Midnight Breed Series reading order:

Book 0.5: A Touch of Midnight (prequel novella)
Book 1: Kiss of Midnight
Book 6: Ashes of Midnight
Book 7: Shades of Midnight
Book 8: Taken by Midnight
Book 9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book 9.5: A Taste of Midnight (novella)
Book 10: Darker After Midnight
The Midnight Breed Series Companion
Book 11: Edge of Dawn
Book 12: Crave the Night (on sale Aug 5, 2014)
Book 12.5: Tempted by Midnight (on sale Oct 14, 2014)

...and more to come!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589377, Mass Market Paperback)

Book 1 in the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell's deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night--or this man--is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed--a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind--and the unwitting humans existing alongside them--from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed's formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

Drawn to the enigmatic stranger she sees across the room in a crowded dance club, Gabrielle Maxwell is drawn into the dark and dangerous world of hunter vampires, one in which a blood war is on the edge of ignition, when she falls for Lucan Thorne, a vampire Breed warrior sworn to protect other vampires and humans from the threat of the Rogues.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,755,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible