Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book…

Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Lara Adrian

Member:BookLizard
Title:Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1)
Authors:Lara Adrian
Info:Dell (2007), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:vampires, rouges, Boston, photographers

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian (Author)

Recently added byKrisGPS, marolyn, sandra7564, HarlotRusse, private library, wm3395, CrystalDawn1217, Sarah_Buckley
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (sbrew1)
    sbrew1: I love this series. Laurel K. Hamilton starts out with a heroin that gets corrupted along the way and you feel like you get corrupted right along with the character. Very erotic after you get to the third book in the series.

English (67)  German (3)  All languages (70)

I don’t have the best track record with Paranormal Romance novels – this is why.

It’s not a horrible story or anything, and if Paranormal Romance is your gig, you should enjoy it. For me, though, the reasons I don’t care for the genre shined through, spoiling the better possibilities the book contained.

Gabrielle and Lucian are struck by instalove and instalust to a degree – it’s one of those ‘ in the stars ‘ things. Like the Carpathian novels sort of, but to a less obsessive degree, when the vampire mates with a ‘breedmate’, then it’s for life. But unlike the Carpathian novels, here they can dissever the relationship, they can survive the loss of a fallen mate, and they can choose the mate by their own will.

Lucian fought tooth and nails not to succumb to Gabrielle – he is one of the ancient warriors who wants to keep dedicating his life, his focus, on his mission to rid the world of the dreaded vampires who have turned and taint his kind. He lives amongst others of his race who vow to do the same – some bonded with mates, some not – and their mission is pretty simple, straight and clear, black and white plainness.

Gabrielle is likeable enough, although a bit daring with her escapades, but I dug her. Lucian had a hotness appeal but didn’t push my actual buttons for some reason. He was serious and no humor. The story had a good background, there were twists and turns and a surprising betrayal at the end that was emotional and well-written.

Even if the book carries clichés of the genre, the author writes her words well, dishes out good dialogue, and obviously has passion about the world she’s creating. While similar to some PNR series, it’s NOT a rip-off, the world standing on its own creative feet.

The two-star rating is explained that, in spite of the good qualities mentioned above, there is too much steam I didn’t care about because the attraction is too instant without interesting complexity. There are twists but a degree of predictability and familiar ground I didn’t want to walk again.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Book #1 in The Midnight Breed
Rating 3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Gabrielle Maxwell has always felt like an outsider until the night she witnesses a brutal murder and is thrust into a hidden world of vampires on the verge of a blood war. Gabrielle soon learns that her destiny is intertwined with this strange yet compelling world as well as that of Lucan Thorne, the fierce leader of the vampire warrior class, who suffers from private demons of his own. Can these two people come together despite their differences to battle the threat in their midst?

Review:
Not the most original of plots for its basic premise and characters are far too similar to the first Black Dagger Brotherhood book (which I began reading but could not finish).
The descriptions of bloodlust, mind control, blood sucking and flesh burning remind me of why I am not a fan of the undead and prefer ghosts, psychics, demons and shapeshifters in my paranormal romance.
Moreover, there is something about Gabrielle and Lucan’s relationship that just did not mesh with me. Each is intriguing in his/her own right but something is missing, perhaps a lack of chemistry or underdeveloped tension between them.
In addition, I don't like it when extraterrestrials are used as an explanation for paranormal phenomenon as this demonstrates a profound lack of imagination – let’s just blame the aliens!
Despite these shortcomings, I did enjoy the romance and the twists and turns in the plot, especially the intriguing revelation at the end. I am also interested in reading about the other members of the warrior class, especially Tegan and Rio, and will be reading the next book in the series.
Recommendation: The series has potential so I can recommend reading this one as exposition for the next. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Vampires, breedmates and rogues... oh, my!

Great series!!! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
Blerghhhh. Let me just pause to clean up the vomit...ok, moving on. I absolutely, 100% do not understand why people love this series! It's horrible. I picked this book up from my local library, but prior to reading it I read the freebie prequel [b:A Touch of Midnight|18171223|A Touch of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #0.5)|Lara Adrian|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1373915993s/18171223.jpg|25225704]. Of it I said, "Pompous, overwritten, rushed and containing every cheap PNR cliché known to man...I WAS NOT IMPRESSED." This one wasn't rushed; I'll give it that. But the rest of that sentence is true. It was also incredibly, I mean INCREDIBLY predictable.

The dialogue was stiff and overly dramatic. There were numerous large, dull info-dumps. I knew what would happen at every stage of the game. A lot of hated PNR tropes were simply strung together and called a book and the plot was so thin cheesecloth would feel more substantial.

What's worse, I hated the characters. Lucan was just a selfish jackass and at no point did I feel he redeemed himself. And Gabrielle was TSTL. I mean, with the exception of the times they were in bed, she spent the whole book being angry, annoyed, or scared of Lucan. So...what exactly did she fall in love with? Then, of course, because she has to throw herself into stupid danger (can't miss that tripe...excuse me, trope) she decides to leave all safety behind in a huff because she's mad at Lucan. Dumb.

Plus, can I just vent a moment on how much I hate how common it is for heroines to doubt their own sanity. It's just a cultural reaffirmation of the idea that women aren't as strong in the mental department as men. She's made to look emotionally and mentally weak so that she needs a strong smart man to make all her decisions for her. Ugh. Gross.

And, and, while on hated tropes...being seduced in her sleep, denies her volition and accountability of her own sexuality. Not to mention, seriously people, no woman would sleep through a man sneaking into her bedroom and performing oral sex on her. The first dip of the mattress would have most women up and screaming in fear, not pleasure. I hate this romantic trope so much.

Yeah, so, so, so, yeah, I have no more words for how much I hated this book. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
While this book was entertaining enough I caught myself sighing through the first half it at the similarities between this book and carpathians/bdb, it was almost a carbon copy. However, In the end part of the book is when the author really makes the world she has created stand out and start being something to read. I love the extraterestrial aspect of the book, I am hoping she expands on that in later books. ( )
  Shadith4 | Dec 10, 2015 |
Her baby wouldn't stop crying. She'd started fussing at the last station, when the Greyhound bus out of Bangor stopped in Portland to pick up more passengers. Now, at a little after 1 A.M., they were almost to the Boston terminal, and the two-plus hours of trying to soothe her infant daughter were, as her friends back in school would say, getting on her last nerve

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . .

The Midnight Breed Series reading order:

Book 0.5: A Touch of Midnight (prequel novella)
Book 1: Kiss of Midnight
Book 6: Ashes of Midnight
Book 7: Shades of Midnight
Book 8: Taken by Midnight
Book 9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book 9.5: A Taste of Midnight (novella)
Book 10: Darker After Midnight
The Midnight Breed Series Companion
Book 11: Edge of Dawn
Book 12: Crave the Night (on sale Aug 5, 2014)
Book 12.5: Tempted by Midnight (on sale Oct 14, 2014)

...and more to come!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589377, Mass Market Paperback)

Book 1 in the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell's deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night--or this man--is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed--a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind--and the unwitting humans existing alongside them--from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed's formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

Drawn to the enigmatic stranger she sees across the room in a crowded dance club, Gabrielle Maxwell is drawn into the dark and dangerous world of hunter vampires, one in which a blood war is on the edge of ignition, when she falls for Lucan Thorne, a vampire Breed warrior sworn to protect other vampires and humans from the threat of the Rogues.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,259,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible