Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book…

Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Lara Adrian

Member:BookLizard
Title:Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1)
Authors:Lara Adrian
Info:Dell (2007), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:vampires, rouges, Boston, photographers

Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (sbrew1)
    sbrew1: I love this series. Laurel K. Hamilton starts out with a heroin that gets corrupted along the way and you feel like you get corrupted right along with the character. Very erotic after you get to the third book in the series.

English (60)  German (3)  All languages (63)
Kiss of Midnight is an enjoyable story and a great beginning to the series. I'm looking forward to the next! ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Jul 4, 2014 |
On the recommendation of a friend who knew how much I loved J.R. Ward’s “Black Dagger Brotherhood” book, I recently purchased the entire “Midnight Breed” series and wondered if I’d once again acted rashly. I’m one of those idiots who buys the whole set before I can settle in and start reading, so… Fifteen minutes after blasting a chunk out of my bank account, I settled in to start the first book.

First, I have to say I think I fell in love with Lucan Thorne at first glance. The book opened with a well-paced sequence of events that set the stage for the meeting of Gabrielle Maxwell and the Breed’s Gen One leader, Lucan. Wasn’t the most romantic first date for a couple, but it was compelling. As was the relationship that built between these two very different but similar characters. Gabrielle has a lifetime of abandonment and isolation issues to battle, and a fascination with blood that eases her in times of great stress. Lucan is a loner, stoic, courageous, dedicated to his mission to destroy Rogue vampires–and fighting his own battle not to become the very thing he lives to fight against. Their passion is intense and undeniable, and very sexy. By the time they admit their love for each other you want to knock their heads together, but you’re too busy sighing because well… Lucan is rather stunning in his fury and passion.

This book sets the series up very well, gives you glimpses of the fascinating Warriors who will become the featured players in their own books. They’re all flawed, passionate, strong men, and I’m sure the stories will be well told in Lara Adrian’s talented hands. Her style is fluid and well-crafted, taking the reader into her world, and making us care. So, now it is my turn to highly recommend this series! ( )
  DenyseBridger | Jun 12, 2014 |
Didn't think I would like this as much as I did. It was a pretty interesting concept on a vampire society. A lot of reviews says that Kiss of Midnight is a lot like J.R. Ward's [b:Black Dagger Brotherhood|42899|Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)|J.R. Ward|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309209351s/42899.jpg|2158128] series. Probably, but I think it as a lot going for it on it's own. I see it as a tamer version but with a more interesting and easier to grasp back story on the vampire history. The women or at least Gabrielle was a strong female heroine and the men didn't seem too Alpha male like. I loved Gabrielle's and Lucan's story so much I wouldn't mind if the entire series was about them, I could see many trials they might go through, alas it was obvious that it would be following the lives of the other Breed Warriors. Hope to see what's going on in Gabs and Lucan's relationship through the eyes of the other warriors.

Really interesting vampire story and actually couldn't help having interest in knowing more about the other warriors, especially Dante and Gideon. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
I have to say that reading this book a second time was just a thrilling as the first time. This is a new idea on the vampire legend. These vampires came here as aliens in the very distant past. There were eight originally. These original eight were cruel, savage and bent on destroying all of mankind, which was more than a little stupid since the need humans to survive. This first story is about the leader of the warrior Order that keeps all vampires and humans safe from the Rogue element. The Rogues are those males that have become addicted to taking blood and killing. The leader of the Order is Lucan Thorne and he is a Gen One vampire. He has been around for hundreds of years. He has given everything that he has to keep his race safe. He has hunted and fought day in and day out. He is loyal and strong. He is commanding and honorable. He is also totally unprepared for Gabrielle Maxwell. Gabrielle is all he has ever wanted and thought he couldn't have.

Gabrielle has been lonely and afraid for most of her life. She has felt that doesn't belong in the society that she lives in. She was brought up in the foster care system which is sad at the best of times. Her mother was killed by a Rogue when she was a baby but she doesn't know that until well into the book. Gabrielle has a gift for finding and photographing Rogue and vampire hideouts. She is drawn to these locations for reasons that she has never understood. Gabrielle is loyal, loving, compassionate and tender. When she meets Lucan she falls for him hard. He shows her that passion can be more than either of them has ever possible. Lucan fights this with all his might but he can't get past how Gabrielle draws him to her.

I loved this book the first time I read and I love it just as much this time. There are some every sad parts, such as the loss of one of the warriors and the severe wounding of another one. There is also betrayal for a trust family member. Ms. Adrian has put together a well thought out world with every interesting characters and locations. She makes you care for the people you are reading about. She makes you see the desolation of what the Rogue wrought. She brings you into the world of the warriors and the danger they face every day. I look forward reading the rest of this series. ( )
  LadyIsis | Dec 24, 2013 |
Her baby wouldn't stop crying. She'd started fussing at the last station, when the Greyhound bus out of Bangor stopped in Portland to pick up more passengers. Now, at a little after 1 A.M., they were almost to the Boston terminal, and the two-plus hours of trying to soothe her infant daughter were, as her friends back in school would say, getting on her last nerve

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell’s deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night—or this man—is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed—a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind—and the unwitting humans existing alongside them—from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed’s formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . .

The Midnight Breed Series reading order:

Book 0.5: A Touch of Midnight (prequel novella)
Book 1: Kiss of Midnight
Book 6: Ashes of Midnight
Book 7: Shades of Midnight
Book 8: Taken by Midnight
Book 9: Deeper Than Midnight
Book 9.5: A Taste of Midnight (novella)
Book 10: Darker After Midnight
The Midnight Breed Series Companion
Book 11: Edge of Dawn
Book 12: Crave the Night (on sale Aug 5, 2014)
Book 12.5: Tempted by Midnight (on sale Oct 14, 2014)

...and more to come!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589377, Mass Market Paperback)

Book 1 in the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling Midnight Breed vampire romance series

He watches her from across the crowded dance club, a sensual black-haired stranger who stirs Gabrielle Maxwell's deepest fantasies. But nothing about this night--or this man--is what it seems. For when Gabrielle witnesses a murder outside the club, reality shifts into something dark and deadly. In that shattering instant she is thrust into a realm she never knew existed--a realm where vampires stalk the shadows and a blood war is set to ignite.

Lucan Thorne despises the violence carried out by his lawless brethren. A vampire himself, Lucan is a Breed warrior, sworn to protect his kind--and the unwitting humans existing alongside them--from the mounting threat of the Rogues. Lucan cannot risk binding himself to a mortal woman, but when Gabrielle is targeted by his enemies, he has no choice but to bring her into the dark underworld he commands.

Here, in the arms of the Breed's formidable leader, Gabrielle will confront an extraordinary destiny of danger, seduction, and the darkest pleasures of all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:33 -0400)

Drawn to the enigmatic stranger she sees across the room in a crowded dance club, Gabrielle Maxwell is drawn into the dark and dangerous world of hunter vampires, one in which a blood war is on the edge of ignition, when she falls for Lucan Thorne, a vampire Breed warrior sworn to protect other vampires and humans from the threat of the Rogues.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible