Leadership Is an Art by Max De Pree

Leadership Is an Art

by Max De Pree

Rework by Jason Fried (sr109)
    sr109: I read both books a few months apart, and immediately thought of the similarities between them.

Tracy
  humsafar | Nov 8, 2012 |
I included this book in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com. ( )
  toddsattersten | May 8, 2009 |
One of the best books about making a humane and empowering workplace. At a time when I was about to give up managing others because I didn't see how I could have a positive impact of people, I read this book. It gave me hope that I could have a positive impact on the people I was managing. ( )
  verber | Sep 5, 2008 |
Written in 1989 this little book is newly published in the UK. Max De Pree is chairman and CEO of Hermann Miller Inc. (the US furniture manufacturer which brought Charles Eames to your magazines) and the son of the founder. Hermann Miller Inc. has been extraordinarily successful and has operated in a paradigm of leadership and empowerment quite outside the norm for the Western World.

The philosophy developed by the Millers is set out here in a chatty home-spun style that never-the-less It also led Peter Drucker to write “… says more about leadership in clearer, more elegant and more convincing language than many of the much longer books …”. I agree.
  GreyHead | Jul 24, 2006 |

LEADERSHIP IS AN ART has long been a must-read not only within the business community but also in professions ranging from academia to medical practices, to the political arena. First published in 1989, the book has sold more than 800,000 copies in hardcover and paperback. This revised edition brings Max De Pree’s timeless words and practical philosophy to a new generation of readers.De Pree looks at leadership as a kind of stewardship, stressing the importance of building relationships, initiating ideas, and creating a lasting value system within an organization. Rather than focusing on the “hows” of corporate life, he explains the “whys.” He shows that the first responsibility of a leader is to define reality and the last is to say thank you. Along the way, the artful leader must:

• Stimulate effectiveness by enabling others to reach both their personal potential and their institutional potential

• Take a role in developing, expressing, and defending civility and values

• Nurture new leaders and ensure the continuation of the corporate culture

LEADERSHIP IS AN ART offers a proven design for achieving success by developing the generous spirit within all of us. Now more than ever, it provides the insights and guidelines leaders in every field need.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:50 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible