Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A…

Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A Mystery (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Gyles Brandreth

Member:illogical
Title:Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A Mystery
Authors:Gyles Brandreth
Info:Touchstone (2008), Paperback, 368 pages

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth (2007)

Recently added byprivate library, Maya47Bob46, infoaddict, VMSCB, HarperHunter, dananas, jenniferw88, buffygurl

English (32)  French (4)  All languages (36)
OMG this is so much better than that other Oscar Wilde/Sherlock Holmes book. This is exactly what I wanted when I read that other one that shall not be named. It was like I gave an assignment and one earned an A and the other an F.

I had thought that a mystery with Oscar Wilde in the shoes of the great detective would be a bit twee but surprisingly this didn't feel cutesy at all. Neither did Oscar Wilde feel like a caricature nor a god (which unfortunately mysteries have atendency to do for their detectives and oscar wilde books tend to do for oscar wilde). He felt like a flawed human. I would recommend this to fans of Oscar Wilde but not to fans of mysteries who only vaguely know Oscar Wilde. You will know who did it. You will not know who the secondary characters are and why it is so fascinating to see how they are woven into this story. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Oscar Wilde portrayed as a detective, in the style of Sherlock Holmes, involved in solving murders based on real events during the Victorian era. Among his friends are Arthur Conan Doyle and Robert Sherard, people that he did know and associate with during his life time.

Oscar finds Billy Wood brutally murdered. A young man that Oscar knew and liked. When the body disappears the real mystery begins. Who took the body and why? Why was Billy Wood murdered in the fashion he was? Answers to these questions are to be found in the dark areas of Victorian life. Areas that society doesn't want to acknowledge exists. Areas that Oscar is familiar of.

While reading, I felt that I was viewing the world and sections of society at the time. Layers that are one upon the other in an effort to hide some of the ugliness that existed below the genteel façade of Victorian life. These layers had to be gently peeled back to reveal the associations and activities that led to Billy Wood's death. Activities by well known and public people that would lose their place in Victorian society if things became known.

With a good number of twists and turns Wilde slowly puts together what has happened. The help of Doyle and Sherard and Wilde's network of spies (think Baker Street Irregulars) help with the gathering of information on the possible suspects.

This is the first in the series and I have already picked up the second book and started reading. This is a book that can be read leisurely and savoured. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Aug 10, 2017 |
Un giallo insolito e arguto: apologia apocrifa di Wilde per bocca di un amico. Conosciuto come dandy esteta, lo troviamo nei panni di Sherlock Holems, affiancato da Arthur Conan Doyle contro un assassino che sembra più spietato di quanto in realtà si scoprirà. Forse un po' lento in alcuni punti, tiene con il fiato sospeso fino alla conclusione.
Lettura piacevole, da ripetere se si presentasse un seguito. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
A delightful mystery. Brandreth’s Wilde is brilliant and charismatic, although the narrator’s personality pales in comparison. The story nevertheless held my interest throughout, and made me want to re-read [b:The Picture of Dorian Gray|5297|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1424596966s/5297.jpg|1858012]. ( )
  alicemphillips | Nov 3, 2016 |
The mystery itself was interesting. Wilde and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were friends in real life so seeing Wilde play the role of Holmes at the time when Doyle first published the first story was cool. It was weird though placing Wilde in the role of a detective. The author writes Wilde as we would like to imagine him to be, spewing off witticisms to no end. This was annoying at first, but the story got interesting so I got over it. I won't bother buying the other books in this series, whenever I decide to read them. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
My name is Robert Sherard, and I was a friend of Oscar Wilde.
Published in US as "Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance"

Published in the USA as "Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance"

When Oscar Wilde chances across the naked corpse of sixteen-year-old Billy Wood, posed by candlelight in a dark attic room, he cannot ignore the brutal murder. With the help of fellow author Arthur Conan Doyle he sets out to solve the crime - but it is Wilde's unparalleled access to all degrees of late-Victorian life, from society drawing rooms and the bohemian demi-monde, to the underclass, that will prove the decisive factor in their investigation of what turns out to be a series of brutal killings.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,585,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible