Robert Mitchum : Baby I Don't Care by Lee…

Robert Mitchum : "Baby I Don't Care" (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Lee Server

Member:MeganAbbott
Title:Robert Mitchum : "Baby I Don't Care"
Authors:Lee Server
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2002), Edition: St. Martin, Paperback

Robert Mitchum: "Baby I Don't Care" by Lee Server (2001)

Being too young to remember the scandals or his films, but old enough to recognise Mitchum and to have seen - and admired - films such as Cape Fear and Night of the Hunter, this was just right for me. Very little that isn't already known but very thorough, a good read, and whetted my appetite for many of the man's movies. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Jul 7, 2014 |
He was a poet with an ax. Beneath this deity of indifference beat the heart of a lyricist who used the adventures of his early life to become one of the last Golden Age film stars. Masculine. Tough. Sarcastic. Charismatic. The Bard of BadAss.

Mitchum didn't need to do much. The great film critic, James Agee, once aptly described him as, "Bing Crosby...on barbiturates". The languorous big dude had presence, and that's what makes a movie star. Watching the camera close in on Mitch's simmering profile in its B&W glory on Pursued, one wishes we had someone on the screen today who could exude the same good/evil battle that defined Mitchum's magnetism.

After hearing Elia Kazan tell Robert DeNiro to think of something different while saying his lines, Mitchum retorted, "Shit, I've been doing that for years".

Lee Server provides a lengthy take on Robert Mitchum's life and screen roles. As someone who had only seen some of his later movies, it was worthwhile to hunt down some of the films to see if Server's enthusiasm was justified. It certainly was. I enjoyed the book and the detailed research. Mitchum's films are now part of my collection, so I would say the book is a success.

They certainly had faces then.

Book Season = Summer (let me tell you the story about right hand/left hand) ( )
  Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |
And frankly, after two hundred pages, neither did I. I was already suspecting this wasn’t much more than a hagiography of “and then Mitchum did this, and then he did that”, when my dad said he’d read a total stinker of a book about Mitchum, and proceeded to say exactly what I was thinking about this! That applied the reading brakes big time, and I was left thinking why did I spend seven quid on the damn thing, and could I flog it on ebay? ( )
  uryjm | Sep 7, 2006 |

One of the movies' greatest actors and most colorful characters, a real-life tough guy with the prison record to prove it, Robert Mitchum was a movie icon for an almost unprecedented half-century, the cool, sleepy-eyed star of such classics as The Night of the Hunter; Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison; Cape Fear; The Longest Day; Farewell, My Lovely; and The Winds of War. Mitchum's powerful presence and simmering violence combined with hard-boiled humor and existential detachment to create a new style in movie acting: the screen's first hipster antihero-before Brando, James Dean, Elvis, or Eastwood-the inventor of big-screen cool.

Robert Mitchum: "Baby, I Don't Care" is the first complete biography of Mitchum, and a book as big, colorful, and controversial as the star himself. Exhaustively researched, it makes use of thousands of rare documents from around the world and nearly two hundred in-depth interviews with Mitchum's family, friends, and associates (many going on record for the first time ever) ranging over his seventy-nine years of hard living. Written with great style, and vividly detailed, this is an intimate, comprehensive portrait of an amazing life, comic, tragic, daring, and outrageous.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:28 -0400)

"One of the movies' greatest actors and most colorful characters, a real-life tough guy with the prison record to prove it, Robert Mitchum was a movie icon for an almost unprecendented half-century - the cool, sleepy-eyed star of such classics as The Night of the Hunter; Heaven Knows; Mr. Allison; Cape Fear; The Longest Day; Farewell, My Lovely; and The Winds of War. Mitchum's powerful presence and simmering violence combined with hard-boiled humor and existential detachment to create a new style in movie acting: the screen's first hipster antihero - before Brando, James Dean, Elvis, or Eastwood - the inventor of big-screen cool.""Robert Mitchum: "Baby, I Don't Care" is the first complete biography of Mitchum, and a book as big, colorful, and controversial as the star himself. Exhaustively researched, it makes use of thousands of rare documents from around the world and nearly two hundred in-depth interviews with Mitchum's family, friends, and associates (many going on record for the first time ever). Written with great style, and vividly detailed, this is an intimate, comprehensive portrait of an amazing life, comic, tragic, daring, and outrageous."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible