Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

The Prince of Tides (1986)

by Pat Conroy, Pat Conroy

English (82)  French (3)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
I fell in love with this book. Conroy’s turns of phrase and descriptions are beautiful. I was elated when the good things happened and depressed when the bad things happened. I’ll definitely be reading more of his work. ( )
  amsee | Dec 1, 2018 |
Tom Wingo, who had a mental breakdown resulting in his coaching job loss, travels to New York after his poet sister's suicide attempt. He spends a lot of time with his sister's therapist, Dr. Lowenstein, describing their dysfunctional family, a horrible sex crime committed against multiple family members, and the family's strangeness. I did not enjoy this book. I have never viewed the movie. Some plot features lack plausibility. I love the South Carolina Low Country, but I did not like the family he described or really any of the characters in either South Carolina or New York. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 15, 2018 |
Great Thomas Wolfean prose about a part and time of America that I have not read about. Sometimes a little over the top in developing the story (Tiger, Dolphin, elaborate dialogue) but still an enjoyable read. I will definitely eventually get to Beach Music. ( )
  JBreedlove | Feb 17, 2018 |
I’m really sorry to have to pan a book that so many people love. It’s been on my to-read list for decades. I was in the mood for a big, soapy pleasure read, and this book was surely big and soapy, but hardly a pleasure.

Now, I should have been more careful to pick a book that doesn’t push my buttons: an anti-feminist narrator, a whites-only picture of the American south, tedious descriptions of sporting events. If you love all these factors, you may love the book. But aside from thematic elements that I tend to avoid, I experienced this book as 577 of humble-bragging. Meet the Wingo family! We are not just dysfunctional, we are the biggest, baddest dysfunctional family you’ll ever meet. Plus we are all geniuses, and our lives and our loves are deeper than yours. I was thoroughly annoyed.
Plus, the book had too many plot-points that were plain unbelievable. The tiger. The porpoise, The highly unethical psychiatrist. And all this is rendered in tinny dialog and in vividly purple prose that is sometimes unintentionally funny.

After all these years of people pressing me to read Conroy, I finally did. Next time I’ll keep my own counsel. ( )
1 vote CasualFriday | Nov 28, 2017 |
Not all abusive childhoods are bereft of love and happiness, and Pat Conroy beautifully illustrates this confounding truth in his remarkable book The Prince of Tides. He doesn't sweep the ugliness under the rug, as several of his characters would prefer, nor does he condone or excuse the abuse. He highlights it, examines its origins, and amply cites its vast consequences, all the while showing another side of life that included beauty, clumsy but deep love, fierce loyalty, and the makings of fond and poignant memories. He tackles a lot of other issues, as well, including racism, mental illness, stereotypes, and survival, to name just a few.

This is a long book with rich and complex characters, plot, subplots, and dialogue. The relationship between the main character and Dr. Lowenstein seemed forced and unrealistic, but other than that, I very much enjoyed this book. ( )
  dldbizacct | Nov 6, 2017 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conroy, Patmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

PAT CONROY has created a huge, brash thunderstorm of a novel, stinging with honesty and resounding with drama. Spanning forty years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and their struggle to triumph over the dark and tragic legacy of the extraordinary family into which they were born.

Filled with the vanishing beauty of the South Carolina low country as well as the dusty glitter of New York City, The Prince of Tides is PAT CONROY at his very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

"Spanning 40 years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family into which they were born."--Page 4 of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,487,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible