dismiss

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

The Prince of Tides (1986)

by Pat Conroy, Pat Conroy

Spanning 40 years, it is the story of Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family in which they were born.

English (89)  French (3)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (94)
Monumental tocho que se deja leer como si no existieran las páginas. Cuadro costumbrista de la Carolina del Sur más tópica, a través de la historia y el presente de una familia. Maravilloso cuadro, grandísimo estilo, inmensa profundidad de los personajes. Todo en ella me gustó. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Gripping story of the Wingo family in South Carolina. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I have read voraciously my entire life, and always, when asked my favorite book of all time, say The Prince of Tides. This book moved me to the bone marrow. That Pat Conroy braved to tell such a deep, visceral story of a family without the soft, hazy glow of all being wonderful opened my eyes to the possibilities of cause and effect within the family, which isn't always pretty. There are significant scars in narrator, Tom Wingo's, life, which manifest later after he goes to NYC from South Carolina to tend to his poet twin sister, Savannah, who shares his coming-of-age story. In scenes with Savannah's therapist, Dr. Susan Lowenstein, who tries to piece together Savannah's past, the vividly drawn, the Wingo family's hardscrabble life unfurls, and the Wingo's father's abusive character is revealed, though it is buffered by their complicated and ultimately self-serving mother. Rich in mood, setting, and portraying a layered family life, The Prince of Tides is written in unparalleled prose and is a gorgeous, unflinchingly realistic story. ( )
  Clairefullerton | Nov 27, 2019 |
A wowzer of a novel, not least because so much of it is autobiographical. What a family the Wingo's are! Tom Wingo, teacher and sports coach, tells the story of his family to the psychologist who is treating his sister Savannah, in New York.

There are exceedingly violent episodes, but the novel is a page turner, often with beautiful phrasing, and Conroy writes beautifully about the natural world. You can smell and taste it.

I'm going to have to track down the film, but there is no way it can have captured the breadth of the book, but I'll be happy if it catches a little of its soul.U ( )
  Caroline_McElwee | Sep 8, 2019 |
I liked this book and Conroy's use of language. The Wingo family, a poor family, living on the coast of South Carolina, is as dysfunctional as you can get. The father is a great shrimper and his children know the waters like the back of their hand. He is married to a beautiful woman who is never satisfied. He is also abusive towards his wife and children. Tom Wingo and his sister, Savanah, are twins. She grows up to be a great poet living in New York, but she is also a tortured soul who has again tried to kill herself. Tom spends the summer in New York talking to her doctor talking about their life as his sister doesn't remember much of it. The family has gone through a lot including home invasion and rape. I enjoyed the book a lot.
  taurus27 | Feb 24, 2019 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conroy, Patmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,712,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible