The Prince of Tides: A Novel by Pat Conroy

The Prince of Tides: A Novel (original 1986; edition 1987)

by Pat Conroy (Author)

4,801911,447 (4.11)159
Member:lauri804
Title:The Prince of Tides: A Novel
Authors:Pat Conroy (Author)
Info:Bantam (1987), 688 pages
Collections:Read in 2013
Rating:*****

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (1986)

English (85)  French (3)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (91)
I liked this book and Conroy's use of language. The Wingo family, a poor family, living on the coast of South Carolina, is as dysfunctional as you can get. The father is a great shrimper and his children know the waters like the back of their hand. He is married to a beautiful woman who is never satisfied. He is also abusive towards his wife and children. Tom Wingo and his sister, Savanah, are twins. She grows up to be a great poet living in New York, but she is also a tortured soul who has again tried to kill herself. Tom spends the summer in New York talking to her doctor talking about their life as his sister doesn't remember much of it. The family has gone through a lot including home invasion and rape. I enjoyed the book a lot.
  taurus27 | Feb 24, 2019 |
Conroy uses his difficult Southern childhood and adolescence as the basis for themes of Southern culture, parental and sibling relationships, spirituality and survival. Brilliant writing. (not for sensitive readers)
Read this years ago and the feelings I had reading it have stayed with me. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
The "Gothic Southern Novel" needs it's own star system. It just doesn't fit on the shelves with the other novels. I was swept along with the tides of the Carolina shores. A long tale of southern families, shoddy and grand (I'll let you decide which is which) sprinkled with a bit of the hard-edged glamour of Manhattan super-successors.

I was engaged by this novel and much of it teased out memories of my own southern family and it's idiosyncrasies.

The came at last and a little too prettied up, but end it must. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
I fell in love with this book. Conroy’s turns of phrase and descriptions are beautiful. I was elated when the good things happened and depressed when the bad things happened. I’ll definitely be reading more of his work. ( )
  amsee | Dec 1, 2018 |
Tom Wingo, who had a mental breakdown resulting in his coaching job loss, travels to New York after his poet sister's suicide attempt. He spends a lot of time with his sister's therapist, Dr. Lowenstein, describing their dysfunctional family, a horrible sex crime committed against multiple family members, and the family's strangeness. I did not enjoy this book. I have never viewed the movie. Some plot features lack plausibility. I love the South Carolina Low Country, but I did not like the family he described or really any of the characters in either South Carolina or New York. ( )
  thornton37814 | Sep 15, 2018 |
In ''The Prince of Tides,'' the smart man and serious writer in Pat Conroy have been temporarily waylaid by the bullying monster of heavy-handed, inflated plot and the siren voice of Mother South at her treacherous worst - embroidered, sentimental, inexact, telling it over and over again as it never was.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Gail Godwin (Oct 12, 1986)

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Conroy, Patmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Häilä, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love and gratitude: to my wife, Lenore Gurewitz Conroy, who hung the moon; to my children, Jessica, Melissa, Megan, and Susannah, Conroys all; to Gregory and Emily Fleischer; to my brothers and sisters, Carol, Michael, Kathleen, James, Timothy, and Thomas; to my father, Colonel Donald Conroy, USMC (Ret.), still great, still Santini; and to the memory of my mother, Peg, the extraordinary woman who built and inspired this house.
My wound is geography.

PAT CONROY has created a huge, brash thunderstorm of a novel, stinging with honesty and resounding with drama. Spanning forty years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and their struggle to triumph over the dark and tragic legacy of the extraordinary family into which they were born.

Filled with the vanishing beauty of the South Carolina low country as well as the dusty glitter of New York City, The Prince of Tides is PAT CONROY at his very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

"Spanning 40 years, this is the story of turbulent Tom Wingo, his gifted and troubled twin sister Savannah, and the dark and violent past of the extraordinary family into which they were born."--Page 4 of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,072,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible