I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't):…

I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't): Making the Journey from "What…

by Brené Brown Ph.D. LMSW

I found this book very helpful. I found the chapters on identifying shame triggers and unwanted identifiers especially helpful. There are a lot of experiences from women that Brown has interviewed included to give examples of how shame affects the lives of everyone and also examples of how to appropriately control reactions to feelings of shame. Her research was very interesting and seem extensive. I think just about anyone can benefit from this book and applying her concepts of shame resilience. ( )
  winterdaisies | Dec 29, 2015 |
Amazon: Researcher and thought leader Dr. Brené Brown offers a liberating study on the importance of our imperfections—both to our relationships and to our own sense of self
The quest for perfection is exhausting and unrelenting. There is a constant barrage of social expectations that teach us that being imperfect is synonymous with being inadequate. Everywhere we turn, there are messages that tell us who, what and how we’re supposed to be. So, we learn to hide our struggles and protect ourselves from shame, judgment, criticism and blame by seeking safety in pretending and perfection.

Dr. Brené Brown, Ph.D., LMSW, is the leading authority on the power of vulnerability, and has inspired thousands through her top-selling book The Gifts of Imperfection, wildly popular TEDx talk, and a PBS special. Based on seven years of her ground-breaking research and hundreds of interviews, I Thought It Was Just Me shines a long-overdue light on an important truth: Our imperfections are what connect us to each other and to our humanity. Our vulnerabilities are not weaknesses; they are powerful reminders to keep our hearts and minds open to the reality that we’re all in this together.

Dr. Brown writes, “We need our lives back. It’s time to reclaim the gifts of imperfection—the courage to be real, the compassion we need to love ourselves and others, and the connection that gives true purpose and meaning to life. These are the gifts that bring love, laughter, gratitude, empathy and joy into our lives.” ( )
  clifforddham | Aug 25, 2015 |
This was a tough book to get through emotionally, but it was one of those I knew would be worth the effort. In order to become the better person I want to be, I need to be willing to confront myself in all my facets.

I Thought it Was Just Me is about shame. It's such a big, complex emotion; not easy to pin down or understand its many manifestations. Dr. Brown's research provided her with some commonalities in order to attempt to organize and develop ideas about shame and shame resilience.

The reader is presented with information about the many common shame triggers (twelve are listed) and ways to recognize the triggers and build what is called resilience. It's easy for even the healthiest of us to succumb to shame and fall into the downward spiral shame leads us into.

Since I'm at a particularly vulnerable point in my life right now, I didn't take notes or use book darts, I took what I could gather and didn't worry about what was being left out. Even then, I found information that made it easier to cope with the big emotions I've experienced from the time I got laid off in July 2013 through the darkness of 2014 'til now.

It's far too easy to believe that everything's my fault even when I know it isn't and to feel ashamed for so many things, some of which are pure nonsense. I'm grateful for Brene Brown's work on shame and vulnerability, it's helped me learn so much about who I am and what I'm experiencing. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 6, 2015 |
This book was a great reminder of personal worth and the struggles against the false self of shame. ( )
  loralu | Jun 10, 2014 |
Is it me, or is this almost the same as the other?
  MochiMama | Aug 21, 2013 |

After talking to hundreds of women and therapists, Dr. Brown is able to illuminate the myriad shaming influences that dominate our culture and explain why we are all vulnerable to shame. We live in a culture that tells us we must reject our bodies, reject our authentic stories and, ultimately, reject our true selves in order to fit in and be accepted.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible