Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (kaledrina)
    Totally Joe by James Howe (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Flipped" tells the same events from two different perspectives, with earnest and real teen POV. "Totally Joe" has only one perspective but with a creative format -- and with the other books in this series, you do get that multiple POV. Both highly recommended.… (more)

Characters were so fleshed out, even the minor ones and I wanted to hug them all.The transformation Bryce and Julie went through was so realistic and adorable, just wanna gush over them both.

5/5 overall and enjoyed every minute of it! I get smiles just thinking about Bryce and Juli, now off to watch the movie adaptation. ( )
  bubblyair | Feb 10, 2016 |
Booktalk draft: Ever meet someone for the first time and just by the way they act, you’ve got them all figured out already? You’re so sure that somebody is a flake so you’re not even going to bother with her. Or you think the new kid in class is totally cool and you need to sit next to him at lunch. Or you think your new teacher is really mean so don’t even ask him any favors. Well when Bryce and Juli first met in the second grade, they both had the other one figured out IMMEDIATELY. Bryce couldn’t stand Juli--she was pushy and always getting into his business. And Juli just fell in love with Bryce--even in the second grade--and she knew he was going to give her her first kiss. Six years later they’re both in the 8th grade and if they knew what the other person was really thinking and feeling, they’d change their minds entirely! Let me read you what happened the day they met. Read Bryce pp 1-3. Read Juli 11-14 (omit some paragraphs).
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
After a long time I read a sweet and simple story. ( )
  PreetiD | Jan 29, 2016 |
I must say, I loved "Flipped". It is such a sweet story about friendship, coming of age, first love, family relationships and the importance of not judging people on first appearances. There are some wonderfully humorous parts throughout the book, and at other times extremely touching moments. The author captures the voices of Juli and Bryce beautifully and I love how the chapters alternate between the two, giving both perspectives of the same events. A charming, entertaining read for younger teens. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Dedicated with infinite love to Colton and Connor, who make me feel like so much more than the sum of my parts.
All I've ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone.
One's character is set at an early age, son. The choices you make now will affect you for the rest of your life.

My mom didn't understand why it was so awful that 'that cute little girl' had held my hand. She thought I should be friends with her. "You like soccer. Why don't you go out there and kick the ball around?" Because I didn't want to be kicked around, that's why. And although I couldn't say it like that at the time, I still had enough sense at age seven and a half to know that Julianna Baker was dangerous.

What did a kiss feel like anyway? Somehow I knew it wouldn't be like the one I got from Mom or Dad at bedtime. The same species, maybe, but a radically different beast. Like a wolf and a whippet. Only science would put them on the same tree. Looking back, I like to think it was at least partly scientific curiosity that made me chase after that kiss, but it was probably more those blue eyes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375825444, Paperback)

Juli Baker devoutly believes in three things: the sanctity of trees (especially her beloved sycamore), the wholesomeness of the eggs she collects from her backyard flock of chickens, and that someday she will kiss Bryce Loski. Ever since she saw Bryce's baby blues back in second grade, Juli has been smitten. Unfortunately, Bryce has never felt the same. Frankly, he thinks Juli Baker is a little weird--after all, what kind of freak raises chickens and sits in trees for fun? Then, in eighth grade, everything changes. Bryce begins to see that Juli's unusual interests and pride in her family are, well, kind of cool. And Juli starts to think that maybe Bryce's brilliant blue eyes are as empty as the rest of Bryce seems to be. After all, what kind of jerk doesn't care about other people's feelings about chickens and trees? With Flipped, mystery author Wendelin Van Draanen has taken a break from her Sammy Keyes series, and the result is flipping fantastic. Bryce and Juli's rants and raves about each other ring so true that teen readers will quickly identify with at least one of these hilarious feuding egos, if not both. A perfect introduction to the adolescent war between the sexes. (Ages 12 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

In alternating chapters, two teenagers describe how their feelings about themselves, each other, and their families have changed over the years.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,252,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible