Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (kaledrina)
    Totally Joe by James Howe (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Flipped" tells the same events from two different perspectives, with earnest and real teen POV. "Totally Joe" has only one perspective but with a creative format -- and with the other books in this series, you do get that multiple POV. Both highly recommended.… (more)

Juli Baker is the weird girl. She has always lived in the same house. She is used to things staying the same. Then, Bryce moves in down the street. Juli is infatuated with him from the start. He has beautiful eyes, so she wants to get to know him and hang out all the time. But Bryce doesn't feel the same. He believes she is the weird girl and he doesn't want to be seen with her.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I cried. A lot. I had a similar sentimentality to Juli's that seems to come with childhood. She loves her giant oak tree, but the city wants to cut it down. So, of course, she climbs it and sits there until the city makes her come down. Bryce witnesses every upsetting thing that happens to her yet doesn't do anything to help her until the end.

Flipped is a beautiful story of coming to grips with individuality. It isn't always easy being someone different. There are people out there who will do anything to bring you down. Juli and Bryce have a complicated relationship and the resolution is sad but beautiful.

I would recommend this to anyone that has children whom they feel are a bit different than everyone else- boy or girl. I could have used this book when I was younger. But now, it is quite an eye-opener to see how young people and even adults treat children who are unique. ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |
This might be a silly review.

I remember reading this book back when I was in middle school and loved it. I even went out to buy my own copy after. It was one of the few books I have enjoyed reading for a class.

I remember liking how cute and silly the story was. Rather, I thought it to be adorable and wanted to be in a situation like these two.

Now, as a college student, I recently went through my shelf and picked up the book and gave it another quick read. Turns out, I still love the story! Of course, I went into a nostalgic moment and remembered seeing my first crush.

I can relate to Juli in this case where I would want to become such good friends or with my crush and smile like a dork when he was around. I would also wonder what he was doing and would often watch him play a sport he enjoys. It was quite silly, but I was a middle schooler then, so I would have to say that would be a good excuse to want to be in Juli's shoes.

Aside from the personal connection to Juli, I really loved the fact that it was written from both Juli's POV as well as Bryce's POV. It makes it easier to understand how both characters felt about each other. Knowing each character's thoughts never ceases to be interesting and helpful when reading a story of romance. Especially teen romance.

Reading the other reviews, I have just found out it has a movie. I'm definitely going to have to check it out!

Cute book! ( )
  SirenRemi | Feb 13, 2015 |
Have you ever liked a boy but he didn’t know you liked him?
Well read this book by: Wendelin Van Draaren called Flipped. In this story it tells to side of the main character. A girl named Juliana has a rough life; with her slow uncle; her messy dirty yard; her eggs and chickens; her broke caring parents; and her crazy wild weird family. On the other hand Bruce has a wonderful life with is caring family; annoying sister; nice house, his weird grandfather that barely talks to him; and his judging parents. This book is very good with it two sides if the story; a girl liking a boy but the boy don’t really like her until it hits him; and I also like this book because it’s a book from not judging it from its cover. Wendelin Van Draaren is a American Writer of children and young adult fiction, especially detective, mystery, and spy stories. I would recommend this book to people 10 and older because it has some big words. ( )
  Princess_Chrishanda | Feb 4, 2015 |
This is a book that jumped out to me because of the romantic nature of the story. It's so refreshing to read a book that is written from two different perspectives. It reminds me so much of one of my favorite tv shows, The Wonder Years and I think that is why I was so captivated by this. However, any student who has ever had a closer relationship with anyone I believe will enjoy this book. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 3, 2014 |
Started this in audio, finished in print. The narrators were appropriate for the characters, but I didn't enjoy listening to them (and also A.S. King's Ask the Passengers arrived on audio halfway through my listening to Flipped).

I'd call this middle grade, not YA, since Bryce and Juli are seven when they meet, and most of the action takes place between 5th and 8th grade. It almost strains belief how the two of them come away from the same events with such drastically different interpretations, but this serves as a reminder to consider other points of view.

Bryce and Juli's family lives are different, though they are neighbors: Juli's family isn't as well-off, and they're a little more artistic/creative/DIY about things; Bryce's family is very by-the-book, almost prissy. By the end of the story, Bryce is learning to see the people in his life in a new light - Juli for the better, his father for the worse. ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 3, 2014 |
Dedicated with infinite love to Colton and Connor, who make me feel like so much more than the sum of my parts.
All I've ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone.
One's character is set at an early age, son. The choices you make now will affect you for the rest of your life.

My mom didn't understand why it was so awful that 'that cute little girl' had held my hand. She thought I should be friends with her. "You like soccer. Why don't you go out there and kick the ball around?" Because I didn't want to be kicked around, that's why. And although I couldn't say it like that at the time, I still had enough sense at age seven and a half to know that Julianna Baker was dangerous.

What did a kiss feel like anyway? Somehow I knew it wouldn't be like the one I got from Mom or Dad at bedtime. The same species, maybe, but a radically different beast. Like a wolf and a whippet. Only science would put them on the same tree. Looking back, I like to think it was at least partly scientific curiosity that made me chase after that kiss, but it was probably more those blue eyes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375825444, Paperback)

Juli Baker devoutly believes in three things: the sanctity of trees (especially her beloved sycamore), the wholesomeness of the eggs she collects from her backyard flock of chickens, and that someday she will kiss Bryce Loski. Ever since she saw Bryce's baby blues back in second grade, Juli has been smitten. Unfortunately, Bryce has never felt the same. Frankly, he thinks Juli Baker is a little weird--after all, what kind of freak raises chickens and sits in trees for fun? Then, in eighth grade, everything changes. Bryce begins to see that Juli's unusual interests and pride in her family are, well, kind of cool. And Juli starts to think that maybe Bryce's brilliant blue eyes are as empty as the rest of Bryce seems to be. After all, what kind of jerk doesn't care about other people's feelings about chickens and trees? With Flipped, mystery author Wendelin Van Draanen has taken a break from her Sammy Keyes series, and the result is flipping fantastic. Bryce and Juli's rants and raves about each other ring so true that teen readers will quickly identify with at least one of these hilarious feuding egos, if not both. A perfect introduction to the adolescent war between the sexes. (Ages 12 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:47 -0400)

In alternating chapters, two teenagers describe how their feelings about themselves, each other, and their families have changed over the years.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,159,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible