Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
    The Future of Us by Jay Asher (kaledrina)
    Totally Joe by James Howe (amysisson)
    amysisson: "Flipped" tells the same events from two different perspectives, with earnest and real teen POV. "Totally Joe" has only one perspective but with a creative format -- and with the other books in this series, you do get that multiple POV. Both highly recommended.… (more)

Amazon.com
  6th_Grade | May 16, 2016 |
Amazon.com
  6th_Grade | May 16, 2016 |
This has been another book I've been meaning to read for years. Since it did have a movie, I made myself read it for the Children's Lit Goes to the Movies assignment. It was a darling book, with some pretty serious themes. It spans years and over those years, after seeing things from both character's points of view, you see how the main character changes. Curricular connections: I would use this for point of view, it has a great coming of age theme and comparing and contrasting the book and the movie would be a great assignment too. ( )
  amyruotsala | Apr 8, 2016 |
I liked the book Flipped for three reasons. First, I really enjoyed the writing style of this book. It was written in a “he-said, she-said” manner with each chapter alternating between the voices of the main characters, Bryce and Julianna. For example, one chapter would be written in Julianna’s voice such as, “What did a kiss feel like anyways? Somehow I knew it wouldn’t be like the one I got from Mom or Dad at bedtime.” While the next chapter would be written in Bryce’s voice such as, “My mom didn’t understand why it was awful that “that little girl” had held my hand.” I really enjoyed this writing style as it gave a perspective of both characters and how each felt about what was happening in the book. Both characters were completely opposite so the alternating voices gave a unique twist to the overall story. Second, I liked the characters of the story. The main characters, Bryce and Julianna, were well developed and relatable. For example, Julianna talks about her crush on Bryce saying, “The first day I met Bryce Loski, I flipped. Honestly, one look at him and I became a lunatic. It’s his eyes. Something in his eyes. They’re blue, and framed in the blackness of his lashes, they’re dazzling. Absolutely breathtaking.” The author portrayed Julianna’s character as a love struck thirteen year old, which is extremely relatable to young readers. Julianna’s unique personality and demeanor was also extremely well developed as each chapter brought you closer and closer to her character. Lastly, I liked the plot of the story. The plot focused on two very different teens and their feelings for each other. For example, in the beginning of the story Bryce says, “All I’ve ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone. For her to back off- you know just give me some space.” Whereas, Juli’s character says, “All I could think about was Bryce. All I knew was that his eyes were a dizzying blue, and that I wanted to kiss him.” The drastic differences both characters feel about each other in the beginning of the story sets up the plot for an interesting twist. The story is suspenseful and intriguing as each chapter makes you want to continue reading to find out what happens in the end. The big idea of the story is to never judge someone by the way they look. There is always more to someone than their appearance and it is what is underneath that truly matters. ( )
  sgoshe2 | Apr 4, 2016 |
This is a pretty great book for middle schoolers and even early high schoolers. I read it because I'm looking into the young adult category for my students. There are a lot of lessons to be learned here about growing up, friendships, and family. I'd recommend it to young teens. A very quick and enjoyable read. I particularly like the way it flips every situation and tells it from two different points of view in alternating chapters.
  CarinaRodrigues | Mar 13, 2016 |
Dedicated with infinite love to Colton and Connor, who make me feel like so much more than the sum of my parts.
All I've ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone.
One's character is set at an early age, son. The choices you make now will affect you for the rest of your life.

My mom didn't understand why it was so awful that 'that cute little girl' had held my hand. She thought I should be friends with her. "You like soccer. Why don't you go out there and kick the ball around?" Because I didn't want to be kicked around, that's why. And although I couldn't say it like that at the time, I still had enough sense at age seven and a half to know that Julianna Baker was dangerous.

What did a kiss feel like anyway? Somehow I knew it wouldn't be like the one I got from Mom or Dad at bedtime. The same species, maybe, but a radically different beast. Like a wolf and a whippet. Only science would put them on the same tree. Looking back, I like to think it was at least partly scientific curiosity that made me chase after that kiss, but it was probably more those blue eyes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375825444, Paperback)

Juli Baker devoutly believes in three things: the sanctity of trees (especially her beloved sycamore), the wholesomeness of the eggs she collects from her backyard flock of chickens, and that someday she will kiss Bryce Loski. Ever since she saw Bryce's baby blues back in second grade, Juli has been smitten. Unfortunately, Bryce has never felt the same. Frankly, he thinks Juli Baker is a little weird--after all, what kind of freak raises chickens and sits in trees for fun? Then, in eighth grade, everything changes. Bryce begins to see that Juli's unusual interests and pride in her family are, well, kind of cool. And Juli starts to think that maybe Bryce's brilliant blue eyes are as empty as the rest of Bryce seems to be. After all, what kind of jerk doesn't care about other people's feelings about chickens and trees? With Flipped, mystery author Wendelin Van Draanen has taken a break from her Sammy Keyes series, and the result is flipping fantastic. Bryce and Juli's rants and raves about each other ring so true that teen readers will quickly identify with at least one of these hilarious feuding egos, if not both. A perfect introduction to the adolescent war between the sexes. (Ages 12 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

In alternating chapters, two teenagers describe how their feelings about themselves, each other, and their families have changed over the years.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,872,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible