Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief by Wendelin…

Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief

by Wendelin Van Draanen

This is a good book for a 4th or 5th grade class. Is a good book for teachers who are trying to find a book for students to read and enjoy. Could be good for foreshadowing and comprehension. ( )
  AmbraGoff | Feb 25, 2016 |
I would use Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief in fourth to fifth grade classroom. I believe this book is appropriate for upper elementary because of its level of difficulty as well as some of the content. This would be a good book for a class read aloud book or an independent reading book. This book would appeal to both boys and girls because it features a female protagonist but is a mystery book that appeals to may boys. ( )
  LRetzlaff | Jan 26, 2016 |
(5.9)
  mrsforrest | Oct 15, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite middle grade mystery series, and I kinda think it doesn’t get talked about enough. I don’t know WHY, either, because they’re really good books. The writing: excellent. The characters: layered and complex and amazing. The mysteries: not super complicated, but still interesting and (y’know) mysterious.

What hit me the most during this reread is how much Sammy is like a tiny Veronica Mars. The book series came out before the TV show, and I am seriously wondering whether the writers of the show had read any of the Sammy Keyes books beforehand. Sammy’s sarcastic and clever and she doesn’t pull punches, and though the book series isn’t as dark and/or depressing as Veronica Mars sometimes got, it’s still got a lot of emotional maturity running throughout.

Read the rest of my review at my blog. ( )
  herebebooks | Jul 3, 2013 |
Sammy Keyes witnesses a man stealing from a hotel across the street from her Grandmother's apartment and, without thinking, waves to him. She then must track down the thief before he finds her and keeps her from talking. The Sammy Keyes series are all fun, quick reads geared towards tweens. A great "starter mystery" for middle school girls. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 4, 2013 |
To my husband, Mark Parsons, who leads a not-so-secret life as my hero.

Special thanks to Nancy Siscoe for her vision and follow-through, to Ed and Rosalyn Parsons for being such angels with my cherubs, and to Ginger Knowlton--"Yes!"
Grams told me my binoculars were going to get me into trouble, I just didn't believe her.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679892648, Paperback)

Look out Harriet the Spy! Here comes Sammy Keyes, a resourceful, brave, too-curious-for-her-own-good young sleuth who gets into trouble with her grandmother's binoculars. Sammy was just killing time when she looked across the avenue with the binoculars. She certainly didn't imagine that she would see a thief in the act of stealing something from one of the rooms at the Heavenly Hotel. The worst part is that the thief saw Sammy spying! And what did "smart" Sammy do then? She waved at the thief! Now Sammy is in loads of trouble. Can she solve the mystery of the hotel thief before the thief finds her and before the police discover that she has been living illegally with her grandmother? (Oh, don't ask--it's just another stressful situation in this young detective's life.) Teens of all ages, shapes, and persuasions (especially reluctant readers) will adore Sammy and her crazy adventures. She is much more than a brilliant detective: Sammy Keyes, who is curious in all the right ways, is the sort of person you'd love to have as a friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

Thirteen-year-old Sammy's penchant for speaking her mind gets her in trouble when she involves herself in the investigation of a robbery at the "seedy" hotel across the street from the seniors' building where she is living with her grandmother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible