Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)
    Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust by Editors of Time for Kids Magazine (meggyweg)

1940s (5)
Unread books (1,019)

English (277)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (299)
I "read" this book through Audible.com and enjoyed listening to Selma Blair's reading of it. Her voice and tone made it believable as that of a young girl.

Anne Frank was a writer, not officially, but a very good one who knew how to express herself well through the written word. Anne shared everything that was going through her teenage mind, all her worries, hopes, frustrations, desires, fears, imaginings. She was a young girl struggling with her emotions in an abnormal way of living, while trying to be brave and making plans for her uncertain future. Anne's relating of all she and the seven others in hiding with her had to deal with to survive for over two years in a small space was well recorded in what was, at first, to be a private diary. Of course, it would quickly become a stressful situation for them with many different personalities trying to share together. It was a horrible time for them, never sure they were going to be safe until the end of the war or if they would be found out. Unfortunately, it was the latter.

Imagine living in a few rooms with seven other people, both male and female, and not having a toilet that always worked, not being able to flush or run water or play music after a certain time each day because of the fear of being heard. Imagine outgrowing the clothes you were able to bring with you, or them wearing out, and having to make do because you can't possibly go out to buy more. Imagine the few people knowing where you are risking their own lives to help you survive. Imagine being able to peek outside but never go out, and living in an attic space in the heat of summer without air conditioning. Imagine your food supply running out or rotting - and eating what you can of it anyway - or there being so little left you have hardly enough for everyone until more can be sneaked to you. Imagine being afraid and suspicious every time you hear a sudden loud noise; hearing bombers flying over; afraid the burglars who, at night are breaking into seemingly empty buildings, will discover you by accident. Imagine ... life during a war, having to hide from almost everyone, including friends.

In her diary, Anne Frank expressed her thoughts regarding everything from her annoyances over petty things, to her hatred of her mother, to her sexuality - graphic descriptions included. That last point makes this unabridged version not as much one for young readers unless approved by parents.

Anne's diary ended abruptly, as - with no warning - her short life again changed drastically. If you want to know what it was like for Jews (and others) having to be in hiding during World War II, this book gives much detail of life from the inside of that.
  Polilla-Lynn | Sep 26, 2015 |
Honest. Sweet. Achingly sad. Moving beyond words.

The autobiography of a young girl growing into adulthood under the eye of the Nazi regime. She is a deep thoughtful and observant person who ends up hiding with her family as well as another family in an attic. Her descriptions were powerful: being silent for hours in fear of discovery, of hoarding flour to bake a cake for a birthday celebration, falling in love and having her first kiss. You will grow as a person reading this book. ( )
  douglasse2 | Sep 22, 2015 |
I recently re-read this, as I'd done a display about Anne and her family in the school Library. Designing the display made me very sad, so I went back to Anne's own words.
As an adult reading the diary, it's amazing how self-aware Anne is; you can see her growing up as she writes, and more than that, you can see her noticing her own development. Anne's appeal is perhaps because she was both an ordinary teenager, and at the same time a very unusually clear-eyed individual.
It is, of course, impossible to read the diary without the constant shadow of Anne's future in mind. Although this is tragic, it also highlights the beauty and creativity of her brief life. I am encouraged that so many of the girls at school read the diary, and feel that they know this courageous, curious and exuberant young woman. She certainly achieved her ambition to become a writer, at the same time utterly defeating the Nazi's attempts to silence her. ( )
  Goldengrove | Aug 31, 2015 |
Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

What can one say after reading this utterly remarkable book (other than I sure wish these families hadn't been ratted out)? There are so many thought arcs—the physical and psychological maturing of a teen (in her own words); the development of a skilled diarist; the developmental dynamic of a family; love and hate; the issues and tensions and mentalities of disparate people living in extremely close quarters—no, running away is not a viable option; the inhumanity of humans to each other; the great humanity of people in distress.

This work deserves an annotated edition. It may be out there; I didn't really look. I did some surfing primarily for photos to embellish this report, and considerable information regarding the individuals actually involved is easily found. Anne wrote two versions: her original day-by-day diary, and a recast version she worked on in response to a call for letters, stories, report, diaries of conditions in occupied Holland from a Dutch official living in exile in England. In the latter version, she changed the names of all the participants but her family.

I did find some photos of diary pages, which show that she pasted photos into the diary as she wrote. An adaptation of her layout to a book would be cool, I think.

At least two editions of the book exist, and to be honest, I don't know which one I have. Anne's father Otto, the only survivor, edited a version for publication, excising some passages in which Anne wrote of her physical and sexual maturing, as well as some musings on her feelings about her mother. Anne felt unloved by her, and in return, didn't love her mother. I understand that these passages were restored in a revised edition. There were such passages in what I read, though my copy seems to antedate the revised edition. Hmmm.

Well worth reading.
  weird_O | Aug 27, 2015 |
The first thing that needs to be said is that you can't compare this book to other children's books of which 99.99% are written by adults. I fell into that trap in the beginning and then I had to scold myself for judging the book so harshly. I will admit that I enjoyed the 2nd half much more than the first, and when I thought about it I realized that it was because the writing had matured along with Anne. The first half is more typical of a young girl writing about fairly mundane things in a self absorbed way, while in the 2nd half her reflections are more philosophical and descriptive. It's a true study in the mind of a teenager and many of her thoughts still square with the thoughts that occupy teens today...feelings of inadequacy, first love and animosity toward one's parents.
One of the most haunting aspects of the diary is that it just ends. The last entry is like any other entry before it. Anne has no idea what is about to happen to her. That left me with an unsettled feeling, because I knew the rest of the story and how tragic it was. It's just not right for the reader to know the ending, but not the author. It's disturbing. Part of the problem is that the lack of a true ending stirs up all the what ifs and leaves the reader needing to fill in the ending. You can't let go of the story. The first thing you'll do when you finish the book is get on the internet to find out what happened to her. It's gut wrenching. And I'm not sure that if she had lived the book would have attracted much attention. She writes in her diary that she wants to be a famous writer and be remembered for something. It's depressing to think that only through her demise was she able to achieve such fame. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.
Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible