The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Janrense Boonstra (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak. Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto by Dawid Sierakowiak (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another diary kept by a Jewish teenager under Nazi occupation. Sierakowiak is remarkably intelligent and level-headed and he is starving.
    East West Street: On the Origins of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)

1940s (5)
Elevenses (203)
. (3)

English (352)  Spanish (9)  German (6)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (1)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (386)
Anne got her diary on her thirteenth birthday. Ever since then, she started writing in it. At first Anne talked about her daily life at school, friends, and her family. But that soon ended, as they went into hiding at the “Secret Annex”. They were soon joined by a couple of other Jewish people. As they were in hiding for a year and a half, Anne mostly talked about her emotions, having quarrels with people, how she didn’t disagree with her mother, and so on. Anne and the others had quite a few helpers who brought them food and water and hid them from the Nazis. Anne soon finds herself drawing closer to Peter, a seventeen year old boy. Faster than a blink of an eye, they are already in a relationship. But then, on August 3rd, 1944, they’re hiding place is discovered, and are taken away by the Nazis. That’s where Anne’s diary ends.

The first fifty or so pages didn’t really “hook” me. But as Anne started really putting emotions in her diary and becoming one of her priorities, it started to get more and more interesting. I really liked how she described every little bit of detail that was going on in the “Secret Annex”. The diary is full of hope, loss, determination, romance, and many other mixed emotions. Some parts were even humorous. It felt weird reading someone's diary than reading an actual story. I rate this book (diary) a 4 ½ out of 5. ( )
  PhillipO.B4 | Jan 16, 2019 |
It’s World War II and the, Jewish family, Franks are becoming worried. This is Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. When Anne turns thirteen her favorite present was her diary. Her first entries are all about her, and anybody’s, regular life. School, clothes, boys, friends, anything that would go into a diary. However when her older sister, Margot, is called to “appear before authorities” her family knows that means she would get sent away. So they all go into hiding. Otto, Anne’s father, leads them to a “Secret Annex” in his office. The Annex is behind a fake bookshelf. Along with four others, Anne Frank and her family have all they should need. Books, a radio, and some form of education. Otto’s co-workers help them by bringing them food, water, and etc. Anne writes about everything in her diary. About every single person hidden with her in the Secret Annex, every detail. After two years in hiding it’s Anne’s fifteenth birthday. This was her second to last month in the Annex. Her last diary entry was two days before being betrayed. To this day no one knows who alerted the Germans on their whereabouts. We do know that sadly the only survivor of the Annex was Otto Frank, who later published Anne’s diary for the world to see.

This book was simply exquisite. Anne wrote in her diary about how she wanted to become a writer, that job would have suited her very well. Anne was able to tell, or write, everything that we needed to know about going into hiding for two years. She writes about her ups and downs, her lefts and rights. It seems as if Anne basically told us the story of her growing up. And everyone around her. It is incredibly unfortunate that we were not able to see Anne’s works as a writer. What marvelous things she would’ve written. ( )
  EmelineR.G1 | Jan 11, 2019 |
This is the story of a Jewish girl who hid in an Annex in Amsterdam during WWII. She and her family went into hiding. She was 13 at the time she started the diary and went into hiding. For two years, her family and several others, kid in a small Annex until they were betrayed. The diary is almost a daily account of Anne's life in the Annex and her feelings about all the people that are there with her.

This, of course, is a classic. I haven't read it since I was in the 8th grade. I still find it amazing that it is required reading among middle schools in the US, and - of course - here with us here in Switzerland. The kids have been really into the story, and asking a lot of questions. And our plan will be to take them to Amsterdam in the spring to see the Anne Frank house. It is great that we can take a story from a book and show them in real life.

If for some reason, you have never read this book - or it has been a long time since you have - pick it up. I think it is good to be reminded - especially in today's climate - what can happen when power falls into the wrong hands. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Read in Slovene under the title of Dnevnik Ane Frank.

A heart-wrenching diary of a Jewish girl forced into hiding during World War II Amsterdam. Does not end well. I read this probably once a year. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Great book. The message is more important than the book itself. The story takes place in the Netherlands and tells the story of Anna's family. Anyone who expects a happy ending is supposed to be disappointed. Despite the impression that the Holocaust did not take place in the Netherlands at large scale or did so in a minor way, in Anne Frank's diary there is evidence that the Holocaust was indeed there and the extent of civil cooperation with the Nazi extermination machine was extensive. While later studies are supporting these testimonies.
Great book! ( )
  JantTommason | Jan 7, 2019 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,793,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible