Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

17,74031997 (4.06)288
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    Memories of Anne Frank: Reflections of a Childhood Friend by Alison Leslie Gold (infiniteletters)
    The Heart Has Reasons: Holocaust Rescuers and Their Stories of Courage by Mark Klempner (mep7)
    mep7: In this book, the people who tried to rescue children like Anne Frank tell their stories, in their own words. Klempner explains in the book that he actually interviewed Miep Gies, but in this book he focuses on 10 unsung heroes whose stories are just as unforgettable.… (more)

1940s (6)
. (3)

English (296)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (321)
It all started on her birthday. Anne Frank and her family were being hunted along with all other Jews by the Nazis. To avoid being captured and sent off to a concentration camp, Anne and her family went into hiding. Where? you might ask. In an attic ( )
  kertistan | Oct 26, 2016 |
Anne Frank is a girl that lived during World War 2. She was a Jew, so she had to go into hiding to escape the Nazis. She lived in a basement along with her family, and some of her families closest friends. When they were in there, they had to be completely quiet, so that no-one in the outside world could hear them. They hid in that basement until the world war was over. Shortly after the war was over, the Nazis found them, and they were sent to concentration camps. Anne went to a camp with her sister. After a while she got very sick and eventually died from it. I really enjoyed this book, because I liked reading the diary of a girl around my age, that had to go through so much bad in her lifetime. It was very sad, but it was also very interesting. ( )
  aivas.G1 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I read this book in middle school, but reading it in college definitely gave me a different view. I liked this book so much more now that I am older. One thing that I loved about this book was the style of the book. It is not a usual chapter book, it is set up as a diary. For example, most of her diary entries start out "Dear Kitty," and end "Yours Anne." It is much more interesting to read a biography that is strictly someones diary. You feel so much more connected with them and what they were experiencing. The other reason I loved this book was because of the doodles in the diary entries. For example, in one of her diary entries, she draws the annex that she is hiding in. I love this because it gives us a visual of where she is living and what she had to go through for two whole years. It's just such a personal connection being able to read and see her actual writing, thoughts, and drawings. The overall purpose or message of this book is to show readers the life of Anne Frank. This book also teachers a lot about the world war II considering the family keeps up with the news on their radio. ( )
  mlambe12 | Oct 19, 2016 |
Anne Frank is such a powerful story and I enjoy learning/reading about her more and more. I read this book in high school and thoroughly enjoyed the story as well as the discussions that went along with it. Anne Frank is such a strong person and her story is truly inspiring.
  MacyMoonshower | Oct 17, 2016 |
Required reading in middle school that I have since re-read multiple times. I consider this one to be a book that everyone should read as it truly gives readers a feel for the life of a Jewish hideaway - told from the perspective of someone young enough to be quite honest. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.
Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

5 1954

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,788,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible