Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)
    Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust by Editors of Time for Kids Magazine (meggyweg)

1940s (5)
Unread books (1,050)

English (274)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (296)
The first thing that needs to be said is that you can't compare this book to other children's books of which 99.99% are written by adults. I fell into that trap in the beginning and then I had to scold myself for judging the book so harshly. I will admit that I enjoyed the 2nd half much more than the first, and when I thought about it I realized that it was because the writing had matured along with Anne. The first half is more typical of a young girl writing about fairly mundane things in a self absorbed way, while in the 2nd half her reflections are more philosophical and descriptive. It's a true study in the mind of a teenager and many of her thoughts still square with the thoughts that occupy teens today...feelings of inadequacy, first love and animosity toward one's parents.
One of the most haunting aspects of the diary is that it just ends. The last entry is like any other entry before it. Anne has no idea what is about to happen to her. That left me with an unsettled feeling, because I knew the rest of the story and how tragic it was. It's just not right for the reader to know the ending, but not the author. It's disturbing. Part of the problem is that the lack of a true ending stirs up all the what ifs and leaves the reader needing to fill in the ending. You can't let go of the story. The first thing you'll do when you finish the book is get on the internet to find out what happened to her. It's gut wrenching. And I'm not sure that if she had lived the book would have attracted much attention. She writes in her diary that she wants to be a famous writer and be remembered for something. It's depressing to think that only through her demise was she able to achieve such fame. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Yes, the Holocaust was tragic. One of the biggest tragedies of our human history. Anne Frank's diary, besides being a door to history, is the soul of a girl.
Anne Frank was such a beautiful writer. She was sad, angry, hopeful and hurt. She put her feelings on paper and turned her head up to the sky! She had dreams she could not fulfill, and you can feel that on the words. She is hoping to fulfill them, but that little dark corner in her mind told her she would not make it. And through the lines you can see how hardly she is trying to hide it!
Beautiful. Heartbreaking. Eye-opening. ( )
  jayelaglez | Jul 31, 2015 |
I read this book when I was a teenager in middle school. I didn't really understand it but now since I am grown and I know the story. I love the book it was good. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Jul 21, 2015 |
This book is based on her diary which was found in an attic where she spent the last years of her life. In her diary Anne Frank wrote f her experiences during this time. Its about a time when the Nazis occupied Holland. Anne was 13 at the time. Anne and her family went into hiding. They lived in hiding for two years until they were discovered. ( )
  foleysh | Jul 20, 2015 |
This is a good introduction into the holocaust without going into the horrors of the concentration camps. The format of a diary enables students to relate, and it works well when paired with other Holocaust novels. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 6, 2015 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,077,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible