dismiss

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

The journal of a Jewish girl in her early teens describes both the joys and torments of daily life, as well as typical adolescent thoughts, throughout two years spent in hiding with her family during the Nazi occupation of Holland.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    Anne Frank House: A Museum with a Story by Janrense Boonstra (JqnOC)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Diary of Anne Frank: A Play in Two Acts by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak. Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto by Dawid Sierakowiak (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another diary kept by a Jewish teenager under Nazi occupation. Sierakowiak is remarkably intelligent and level-headed and he is starving.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    East West Street: On the Origins of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    Mist in augustus by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fiction written by Anne Frank while in hiding.

1940s (6)
Elevenses (203)
Europe (332)
. (3)

English (382)  Spanish (13)  Italian (9)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (425)
Anne Frank was a jewish girl who lived in Amsterdam during the holocaust. Her family (Mother, Father, Margot) has to go into hiding. They go into hiding in there father's old office building, in the top floors, behind a bookcase - They call this area the Annex. The Franks live there with the Van Daans and Mr. Dussel. Anne lots of things in her diary, one of which being the food that they eat. She says about every 2 weeks they have a new type of food (beans, lettuce, strawberries), and they eat so many variations of that food that by the time that the 2 weeks are up they are completely sick of it.
This book was okay. It is a very honest book about the holocaust and how it affected people and it is a good book, but not really the type of book that I like. Anne described many scenarios that are similar to the ones that you have in quarantine. She talks about wanting to be alone, and having her own space, and it is very relatable - even though her scenario was lots more dangerous. The book ands very sadly, and it is even more sad because you know that it is coming. ( )
  SCornfeld.ELA4 | May 26, 2020 |
The Diary of a Young Girl follows Anne Frank, a Jewish teenager, and her story while hiding from the Nazis in Amsterdam. The book gives an insight into her thoughts and experiences. It also provides some information about how the other members of the Secret Annex felt. The book shows the struggles and lifestyle of being in hiding. It shows the relationships Anne had with others, some of which were strained. Anne expressed herself, which had an impact. It showed her spirit, with her commentary on it all. It showed the hope she had, and the promise she would've had.

Anne Frank's story is very impactful to me. To read the struggles she went through really does get your mind thinking. To think she was so young. I really did see the hope and spirit she had. There is an amazing humanity in her writing. Even when she was stuck in the Annex, she still acted naturally. Sometimes, you can almost see yourself in her. A growing teenager who starts going through things, and starts becoming complicated. Truly a great book. ( )
  JTomasulo.ELA2 | May 24, 2020 |
This was a hard book to read. It started out light and easy, as you'd expect from a 13-year-old's diary. As the situation gets harder, so do the topics in the diary, though it's not until the end when it gets really hard to read. This is history; the ending is not a surprise. What did surprise me was how much I dreaded reading the final 50 or so pages of the book, because the war starts going well and hopes in the Secret Annex start rising... and yet I know how the story ends for them.

I do not know why I didn't read this in school. In some ways, I wish I had because it is an important book and I would have liked to have read it when I was closer to Anne's age. On the other hand, I'm glad I didn't read it until I was an adult and could better connect with the entire situation, and not just Anne's. This is an important book, and one everyone needs to read. It's heartbreaking and uplifting all at once, and it's themes are as relevant now as they were when it was written. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 20, 2020 |
I honestly considered giving it a three star review, but I felt that towards the end Anne became a little more mature. I think that the Sub-title says it all "A Diary Of A Young Girl" ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | May 9, 2020 |
I really love this book. I read this book when i was younger and I read it again a few years ago. It's a very good book. A very inspirational true story. Her story is very sad and i really admire her strength. I don't know if i could have been as strong as she was. She had so much hope and had so many dreams and I feel so bad that her life was cut short. No kid in this world deserves that. She truly is an inspiration to me and I always remember her story. Whenever I feel down about something, I try to remember that she had it worst and still she never lost hope. God bless her! ( )
  Lisa8025 | Apr 18, 2020 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
[ Comment Added by Anne on September 28, 1942:]
So far you truly have been a great source of comfort to me, and so has Kitty, whom I now write to regularly.
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

4 2010

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,523,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible