Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    Memories of Anne Frank: Reflections of a Childhood Friend by Alison Leslie Gold (infiniteletters)
    The Heart Has Reasons: Holocaust Rescuers and Their Stories of Courage by Mark Klempner (mep7)
    mep7: In this book, the people who tried to rescue children like Anne Frank tell their stories, in their own words. Klempner explains in the book that he actually interviewed Miep Gies, but in this book he focuses on 10 unsung heroes whose stories are just as unforgettable.… (more)

1940s (5)
. (3)

English (288)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (313)
I believe this is a great book for a classroom. What is better than learning from a first hand account? It is a truly touching story to hear about this young girls day to day life. ( )
  NaomiJohnston | Sep 26, 2016 |
a strong story ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
While I do absolutely love this book, I would save it for older students. The content and ideas and themes that Anne Frank talks about may be over younger children's heads. There is also a lot of historical content to be taught along with the book, which would definitely be more appropriate for older children.
  SarrahNowland | Sep 8, 2016 |
The Diary of a Young Girl has always been one of my favorite books. Anne Frank telling us what is going on and happening to her during this time is intriguing and give us insight as to what life was like for a young jewish girl living in hiding in World War II and the Holocaust.
  Chelsea07127 | Sep 7, 2016 |
One of the most important documents produced by humankind, the diary of Anne Frank needs no introduction. It is an imperishable and world-famous story, and would be a remarkable one even if Anne hadn't written about it so impressively. But through Anne's gift, we receive a vivid and gripping chronicle of life in 'the Secret Annexe'; the teenager is an excellent writer, clear and focused and perceptive of character and setting. Already wise beyond her years and compelled, by the war and by the persecution of Jews, to grow up even faster, she births a stunning account that any writer in the world would be envious of. She charts with candour and humour her own progression over the two years in hiding: her changing relationships, her understanding of things and her developing philosophy of life.

This chart of a maturing young woman would be of literary merit even without the war, and it is heart-warming later in the book to read of her revisions of her previous behaviour, her growing eloquence and inner-peace and her blossoming writing skills. Which makes it all the more cruel that her progress was snatched away. The thought of this incredible young human being on a cattle-truck to Auschwitz, frightened, brutalized, emaciated and separated from family, is abhorrent, and makes you want to scream at the complacent evil that humankind repeatedly defecates onto this planet and which extinguishes the lights given so purely and honestly by the likes of Anne Frank. Though she retains her individuality – something she was fierce about when living amongst the occupants in the Secret Annexe – Anne has become the human face of the Holocaust. She was a person just like us, from a family just like ours, and anyone who reads her diary will find something with which they can identify and lock onto. It is a document that by its sheer benevolence and grace – towards the end she writes that "in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart" (pg. 218) – shames the sheer evil idiocy of reducing individuals to labels and generalizations. How could anyone think this intelligent, inquisitive, unassuming and even-handed girl was a degenerate sub-human, and deserved to die horribly for it?

Beyond her standing as an icon and emblem of goodness against the black malevolence of the Holocaust, Anne's personal, individual, tragedy is that she never got the chance to express herself with more studied composure, to go out into the world (both literally and figuratively) and sample what it had to offer. The last line of her last entry in the diary – a few days before she was denied forever the opportunity to write another – speaks of "trying to find a way of becoming what I would so like to be, and what I could be, if… there weren't any other people living in the world" (pg. 222). If it wasn't for those vicious anti-Semites living in the world, it is clear she would have become a writer. As the diary progresses, it is thrilling to witness Anne's growing realization that she has a gift for this sort of thing. She shares her dreams of becoming a journalist and a writer, even of getting her diary published in a modified form. Some of her complete entries – in particular, the one of 23rd February 1944 – read, to me, like excellent short stories. She is clearly thinking about posterity and is composing her thoughts and her voice in readiness for when she will be free. The Allies have started to liberate the continent; she has "the feeling that friends are approaching" (pg. 204). After two years of privation and hiding in fear, she is close to freedom. Yet she is on the last train to Auschwitz. She dies in Belsen just weeks before British liberators arrive with looks of uncomprehending horror on their faces. I have spoken about her diary and the enduring simple beauty of her prose, but her capture and death are also instructive. The line between hope and destruction, between darkness and the light, is a fraction of a hair's-breadth, which makes it all the more important to cherish fragments of humanity like this one.

"I don't think then of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains... Think of all the beauty that's still left in and around you and be happy!" (pg. 146) ( )
  MikeFutcher | Aug 29, 2016 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

5 1943

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,172,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible