The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Diary of a Young Girl (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto Frank (Editor)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (InfectiousOptimist)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)

English (248)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (268)
Quite good book from a 15 year old teenage girl. She is quite good writer, and book can stand on its own even if one does not factor in ongoing events. Book gets remarkable considering the context: World War II, and Nazi's persecution of Jews. One should also read the ongoing war and concentration camps to really appreciate the book.

One should take the book as persona diary providing personal opinion about others. While looking up some more details, I found that Anne's mother Edith died due to starvation... she had started giving her food to her daughters, and continue saving food even after separation from her daughters! Whereas in diary, Anne portrays her mother in unflattering way.

Read the full version of diary. These are available in newer editions. ( )
  sandeepk77 | Sep 8, 2014 |
This is the actual diary kept by Anne Frank, a young Jewish girl who was forced to hide in a friends attic during WWII. The diary begins when she receives it for her birthday and goes all the way until she and her family are ultimately captured by the Nazis. We are able to get a glimpse into what her life was like during their time in hiding. This book is excellent because not only does it give kids a little information on what was going on during that time, but it is told through the eyes of a young girl. It is a real coming of age story that a lot of young people will be able to relate to. It is also a good way to teach children about what people went through during this time in history
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jul 15, 2014 |
Quiero leer este libro porque sé que es una historia completamente inspiradora y llena de corage.
Ya empece a leerlo y la verdad que me mantiene interesada e inmersa en lo que cada dia Ana escribe. Me gusta el estilo ya que suelo escribir asi en una agenda que tengo y me siento muy familiar con el estilo.

Esta obra de Ana, es un relato que cuenta de forma directa todas las peripecias que las personas pasan cuando estan llegan a convivir juntas en un espacio pequeño cuando no son personas con tanta cercanía o puntos en común.

Al leer este relato cualquier persona puede edificarse en gran medida sobre la grandesa del ser humano por siemple que paresca.

Los seres humanos aprendemos en estas páginas a que no podemos juzgar ni discriminar. Nunca más en la hitoria moderna podemos dejar que algo ni parecido vuelva a suceder.

Es recomendable que todas las personas lean este relato, para que así la vida de millones de judíos no pase por alto. Aún existe muchas personas que no saben esta parte de la historia.

Ana pudo llegar a ser cosas más grandes aún que las que ella ya hizo y quería hacer, sino hubiese sido por la mente retorcida de un hombre y la de los muchos que le siguieron.

Debemos decir sí a la libertad!, si al amor!, si a la paz! si al respeto!, si a la libre expresión! si a un ser ruperior a nosotros!, y decir no al odio!, no a la guerra!, no a la indiferencia!.

Pamelangeles | Jul 3, 2014 |
The thing I am most grateful for is that I read this while I was still her age. It gave me a perspective on her thoughts and emotions that is difficult to articulate. This girl was an amazingly talented writer. Sometimes I like to just take out the book and read her last entry. It is just so amazing, describing feelings I have had at many points in my life. It's almost like she knew it was her last few days of freedom. It just feels sooo, sooo..........final. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
I wasn’t very fond of this book for a few reasons. I felt as though the writing was not very engaging and was a little unorganized. I had a hard time following the story and staying focused. The story was suspenseful at times, especially when Anne Frank had to hide from all of the Nazi soldiers. I think the characters are very believable and well-developed. The author is able to force the reader to feel the pain and fearfulness that Anne felt as she hid from the Nazis, knowing that if she was found terrible things would happen. The big idea of this story is to explain the tough times that Anne had to encounter in a child’s point of view. ( )
  kbrehm1 | May 5, 2014 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:19 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible