O diário de Anne Frank by Ann Frank

O diário de Anne Frank (original 1947; edition 2008)

by Ann Frank (Author)

The journal of a Jewish girl in her early teens describes both the joys and torments of daily life, as well as typical adolescent thoughts, throughout two years spent in hiding with her family during the Nazi occupation of Holland.
Member:izaperkoski
Title:O diário de Anne Frank
Authors:Ann Frank (Author)
Info:BestBolso (2008)

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    Anne Frank House: A Museum with a Story by Anne Frank Stichting (JqnOC)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    An Interrupted Life: The Diaries of Etty Hillesum 1941-43 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Diary of Anne Frank: A Play in Two Acts by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak. Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto by Dawid Sierakowiak (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another diary kept by a Jewish teenager under Nazi occupation. Sierakowiak is remarkably intelligent and level-headed and he is starving.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    East West Street: On the Origins of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    Mist in augustus by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fiction written by Anne Frank while in hiding.

1940s (5)
Elevenses (203)
Europe (332)
. (3)

English (405)  Spanish (13)  Italian (10)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (451)
Não lido.
  claramenezes | Feb 15, 2021 |
The Diary of a Young Girl is composed of diary entries from a Jewish girl, Anne Frank, living in Holland during World War II. Her diary entries take place between the ages of 13 and 15 in 1942-1944. Except in the very early entries, she and her family are living in hiding with another family on the upper floors of an office and warehouse. There are a total of 8 of them cooped up in a relatively small space, unable to go outside and needing to be very quiet for long portions of the day. They suffer from food shortages and lack many other necessities, and they’re living in constant fear from break-ins, bombardments, and just the general fear of being discovered and imprisoned or killed. If anybody is struggling with our social distancing and quarantines of 2020-2021 and would feel better to read about people who have it way worse, this is the book for you.

This is an easy book to read in terms of its words and writing style, but some of the content makes it a difficult read in other ways. It’s hard to read about what the Jews suffered in general. It’s hard to read about a young girl suffering through the experience and the direct impact it had on her. I’ve read many fantasy books which often start off with a young person suffering great injustices and other difficulties, but it’s of course different when you’re reading the actual (translated) words of a real teenager who lived through those real world events. When you already know how things end, that also makes everything that much more difficult to read. Even the happy passages can feel sad.

It was also really difficult to read about the interpersonal relationships in the “annex” where they were hiding. The two families didn’t get along with each other or even with the other members of their own families. Anne is a full-fledged “nobody understands me” teenager, especially in the first year or so. I found her a true unreliable narrator, with her words so colored by teenage angst that I couldn’t tell what was real and what was overdramatized. Her mood swings were clearly seen through her writings, and it was a bit like being on a rollercoaster. When she was happy, her writing was (sometimes) more rational and reasonable. When she was angry or sad, the whole world hated her and nobody understood her and everybody was selfish and horrible. I imagine her situation, cooped up with the same 7 people day after day, unable to get proper privacy or hang out with friends or enjoy the outdoors, living in constant fear for her life, made the typical teenage mood swings a lot more dramatic. From her diary entries, it seemed like the adults weren’t much better. It was understandable from an objective standpoint, but it was frustrating and sometimes tiresome to read so much of it.

I read this book at least a couple times as a child. I can’t remember how old I was, but I surely wasn’t older than 8 the first time I read it and I’m pretty sure I never read it in junior high or later so I doubt I was older than 11 when I last read it. I remember understanding the horror of what Anne and the other Jews experienced, but I think when I was a kid I took Anne’s writings more at face value in regard to what she wrote about the people she was living with and how they treated her. I still sympathized with her reading this as an adult of course, but it was a different sort of sympathy and occasionally mixed with exasperation. I found myself wishing the adults had written diaries also so I could compare and contrast! The edition I read this time reportedly has much more content than the originally published version, but the added material isn’t highlighted throughout the diary entries. Some of the additions dealing with Anne’s body were pretty obviously new, but for the rest I wasn’t too sure. I could only guess that, based on the context provided in the introduction, some of Anne’s harsher and more direct complaints about the people in the annex were part of the added material.

Regardless of its fluctuating levels of maturity, Anne’s writing and some of her thoughts did show a lot of promise. There were some things she wrote that I really liked, and a couple things that resonated with me so much that I wonder if this book was partly responsible for influencing my beliefs in those areas as a child. It’s sad that we never got to see what she would have written and done with her life if she’d had the chance to grow up. Anne sometimes wrote of her experience in hiding as something that was helping her to mature more quickly and develop a greater depth of character that would impact the rest of her life, but she never got to experience the rest of her life. From some of the things she wrote though, it’s clear she would have been happy and amazed to know how many people her words would eventually reach. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 9, 2021 |
The toughest part about reading this book was reading all of Anne's thoughts, dreams and ambitions and then looking at the date of the entry and realizing how little time she had left. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
One of the few "suggested" book from school that I really liked! ( )
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
Reading again through my 13 year old son's eyes-school assignment-Since being a mother of a teenager I see this book's light so differently...amazing how no matter who or where you are in time or space-navigating the ages of 13-15 is eerily similar...something my son picked up on--I was still caught up in the impending events, emotion, love of Anne's spirit, and the doom...he picked up on what he needed and every young adult needs during this crazy ride they are on... ( )
  Betsy_Crumley | Jan 28, 2021 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
[ Comment Added by Anne on September 28, 1942:]
So far you truly have been a great source of comfort to me, and so has Kitty, whom I now write to regularly.
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

4 2092

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,532,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible