Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank (Author), B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

Recently added byprivate library, LadyLiz, Sarah_P, telanus, Rozee, MrCheckov, LadyBrook3, SusanBNM, spoopycreppyliz
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (InfectiousOptimist)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)

English (256)  German (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (277)
This book does a great job of illustrating what some families went through during WWII. This is a diary a young girl wrote during this time.
I like it because of how raw this story is.
I would recommend this book for older elementary or even middle school students.
  AmyGelle | Nov 22, 2014 |
I read this decades ago as a teenager and for me it was a formative work. That people should experience this as a result of ideology, bigotry and war, led to many of my social attitudes today. ( )
  Loyola | Nov 21, 2014 |
Summary: her diary and accounts of what happened during world war2 and Hitlers reign in power from a Jewish perspective. She lived in an attic for 2 years with another family hiding from the Nazi. she had to be quite during the day because fear of being discovered hunted their minds. She talked about her days and the outlook of the world. She was an hope ful young girl making the little things count. Her family was betrayed and the Gestapo found them, and sent them off.

Personal: i loved this book it is truly remarkable. it makes you appreciate the little things in life.

Classroom: 1)ask the students how they think it was like to live in an attic for 2 years.
2) Have they create their own diary to be like Anne Frank.
3) have the students talk about the most difficult times in there lives.
  pambam_11 | Nov 11, 2014 |
One of the most memorable books I have ever read is The Diary of Anne Frank. This book was about a young Jewish girl coming of age during WWII, Germany. Her diary is an iconic piece of history that will forever be known. I cannot specify one part that is better than the other. I truly believe that every person should read this book. It describes the horrors of war intertwined with the everyday issues of a teenage girl. ( )
  abrozi1 | Nov 3, 2014 |
Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl is among the most enduring documents of the twentieth century. Since its publication in 1947, it has been read by tens of millions of people all over the world. It remains a beloved and deeply admired testament to the indestructible nature of the human spirit. Anne was first and foremost a teenage girl, not a remote and flawless symbol. She fretted about and tried to cope with her own sexuality. Like many young girls, she often found herself in disagreements with her mother. And like any teenager, she veered between the carefree nature of a child and the full-fledged sorrow of an adult. Anne emerges more human, more vulnerable and more vital than ever. Anne Frank and her family, fleeing the horrors of Nazi occupation, hid in the back of an Amsterdam warehouse for two years. She was thirteen when she went into the Secret Annex with her family (http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9780553296983-22).

I really enjoy the story of Anne Frank because it really captures the heart of a young girl during the struggle of a difficult time. Everyone has a perception or idea of what is happening at a difficult time, but this story really captures the essence of the mindset of a young girl, which makes this an excellent book to read to children. Because this is a long diary, and school-age children tend to have a short attention span, I would break up the book into several sets of entries and create ideas and activities around that set.

Extensions for the Classroom!

Have the children start a journal for the rest of the school year. They can include anything they would like in their journal, from playground stories to things happening at home.

Have the children tell a story about a difficult time in their life and how they dealt with it. Take turns being supportive and offering ideas to the children. ( )
  roni.rawlins | Oct 26, 2014 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:19 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,010,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible