Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank, B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)
    Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust by Editors of Time for Kids Magazine (meggyweg)

1940s (5)
Unread books (1,051)

English (269)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Czech (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (291)
Unlike any of the other books I have reviewed, The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank, is a diary, written from Anne's point of view. The Frank Family (Otto, Edith, Margot, and Anne) was a Jewish family living in the time of World War II. Initially living in Frankfurt, the Franks were forced to move out of the heart of Germany to ensure their safety. In Amsterdam, they had set up a 'Secret Annex' on the third floor of Otto Frank's office and moved in with a couple other refugees. For months, the Franks and the refugees hid from the Nazis, who eventually took over the Netherlands. The Franks had to adhere to very strict rules: no one was to make a sound during the day and all windows had to be blacked out -- no one could open them. The Franks and the refugees hid successfully for over two years, but they were eventually betrayed. Anne was sent to Auschwitz, one of the worst German Concentration Camps. Tragically, Anne dies, not of the gas showers, but of typhus. Her greatest dream was to become a well known author, and thanks to her diary, her dream is fulfilled. Millions of people have read her diary in dozens of translations.

The reason why I picked up The Diary of a Young Girl was because my family and I were traveling to Amsterdam to see her 'Secret Annex.' This book is not a light, easy read. Anne Frank spills herself out onto the pages of her diary. She expressed herself more than she ever did to her parents. In the diary, you can really hear Anne's own words as you read. I am almost 13, the same age as Anne. It is very interesting to put myself in her shoes and see what it was like. I very much recommend her diary to teens who are interested in history, action, and suspense! ( )
  MeganS.B3 | May 28, 2015 |
I remember reading Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl as a young adult, and I was moved by her story. I enjoy this book for many reasons. First, this book tackles The Holocaust in an age-appropriate way, without sugarcoating the topic. The reader sees the true effects of the Holocaust through the eyes of a young girl that is around the same age as them. Not only does it expose the reader to the true events of the Holocaust, but also it forces them to see a different perspective of life for someone their age in a different time period. When Frank states, “I can’t tell you how oppressive it is never to be able to go outdoors, also I’m very afraid that we shall be discovered and be shot.” The constant state of fear Anne Frank describes is really poignant and comes through transparently in the text. Also, the use of dates also helps the reader understand the time period and the relation to major events. The reader has the ability to see the date and compare it to major occurrences during the Holocaust. This helps them to develop a clearer understanding of historical events, while analyzing how traumatic this experience was for the Jews. The main purpose for this autobiography is to really get the reader to understand Anne Frank’s perspective of The Holocaust, and how the Jews really felt during this time period. ( )
  ShakelaWilliams | May 9, 2015 |
In this novel,The Diary of Anne Frank, you are taken into life of a Jewish family and their struggle to survive. Anne Frank and her family hid out in a house during this time I which all Jews were sent to the concentration camp. When you read this book you are taken into their difficult yet simplistic lifestyle they endure while in this house. You will have a different perspective on the war because it shows how difficult living in the attic really was. I would assign this book to a group of 8th-9th graders because they will be able to understand the concept of the second world war along with how much suffering her family endured. ( )
  mbabst | May 4, 2015 |
I liked this book because it shed a realistic light on the holocaust. Most people know about the holocaust, but having it told from the perspective of a teenage girl makes the events more relatable to someone who did not go through this. Reading about how she liked Peter made the book relatable and showed how she was just an average teenager. I also liked this book because it was a first person telling of what actually happened during the Holocaust. So many Americans have no idea what it could have possibly been like and this story shows the reader from the perspective of Anne Frank which I throughly enjoyed. The big idea of this story was perseverance. ( )
  jcuttitta | Apr 20, 2015 |
This is an incredibly, incredibly powerful and moving biography. Anne Frank’s story is a heavy topic, but this story is wonderfully written because of how honest it is. Anne was given a journal for her thirteenth birthday and wrote in it everyday for years. This story is excellent because it contains real entries from Anne living in the Annex, hiding from the Germans. This made the story so much more real, as being able to read the entries was truly eye opening. I also love this story because the real struggles of Anne living in a tiny office building with her family, amongst others, are brought to life. While reading this story I felt deeply bad and sorry for Anne and the rest of the Jews living during this time. Although I’ve learned much about the Holocaust, this specific story was the one to bring it to life for me. The message behind this story is to fight for your rights and your families, no matter how hard the circumstances are. ( )
  Milina_Moreno | Apr 16, 2015 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,901,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible