Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank, B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    Memories of Anne Frank: Reflections of a Childhood Friend by Alison Leslie Gold (infiniteletters)
    The Heart Has Reasons: Holocaust Rescuers and Their Stories of Courage by Mark Klempner (mep7)
    mep7: In this book, the people who tried to rescue children like Anne Frank tell their stories, in their own words. Klempner explains in the book that he actually interviewed Miep Gies, but in this book he focuses on 10 unsung heroes whose stories are just as unforgettable.… (more)

1940s (6)
. (3)

English (284)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (309)
This is the diary of a young Jewish girl, Anne, who is forced into hiding when the Nazis invade Amsterdam. She records two years of her time in an attic, cut off from the world, living in fear, dealing with boredom, fear, hunger and uncertainty.
  rachel.mcconville | Jul 17, 2016 |
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl chronicles her diary and the days leading up to Anne Franks captivity by the nazis under Adolf Hitlers Regim. The "green police" are searching the streets of Amsterdam for Jews during the time of the holocaust in order to put them in concentration camps. Anne Frank writes about the times she spends hiding in the attic of a shop with her parents, sister, and another family. Although you hope for an amazing ending full of freedom and love, Anne Frank and her family are taken into the concentration camps in Germany and are killed. This truly shows the horror and madness of the holocaust because it shows that these people are real with stories and families. It's a sad and moving book.
  chloethom1818 | May 2, 2016 |
Every since I was younger this has always been one of my favorite books. The main idea of this book is to teach kids about the Holocaust and the events that took place. Anne Frank wrote all her emotions, thoughts, and feeling throughout the book and this is a reason I love it so much. The Holocaust is a subject that can be very difficult to understand at times, however the way Anne wrote it helps you sort of imagine it. Another reason I love this book is because of the progression of the story. As the time goes by throughout the story you are able to tell Anne is older and see the change in relationships of characters. I would recommend everyone to read this book at some point in their life, especially young kids. ( )
  tazool1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I thought this book was quite interesting. I read it in eight grade. I thought it was a great way to teach the events surrounding the Holocaust. I really like the structure of the book. I chose to read it again because of how much I enjoyed it the frist time. I was very interested in the topic and I was able to relate to Anne Frank because she was similar to me in age while she was writing the diary. I really like the way that this book was written. It was written almost exactly how Anne Frank would have made the diary when it was written. I also like the historical realness of the book. Anne does not hold anything back about how she is feeling. her emotions are all out on the table. You can tangibly see when she wrote entries and first hand accounts on this terrible time. Those are two reasons combined, the over all flow and the historical truth and reality of the time. The last reason I like this book is the characters and seeing how they grow over the course of two years. Anne's thoughts become so much more mature and all the member of her family grow so much in the two years they are in hiding.
  rcarpe4 | Mar 23, 2016 |
In my opinion this was a good book. First, I enjoyed that this book is non-fiction book that is all based on facts. This is purely a book of the journal of Anne Frank and her work is engaging and full of facts of the life she lived when her and her family went into hiding. It even gives the reader a form of a map that shows the actual space. It's really horrifying to think about the kind of living conditions they living in for such a long time. I liked the point of view in the book because it was being told in Anne's point of view. She explains in detail about how she feels and how she grows as a woman over her years in hiding. Especially looking at the change of her relationship with Peter for example as it started as they didn't really care much for one another to then being friends and then in a way turning into some form of a blossoming romance. To me, this book's main point was so show what Anne went through during her hiding and the fear any Jewish person had during that time period. ( )
  mhartz4 | Mar 9, 2016 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

5 1931

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,615,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible