Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank (Author), B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust by Rutka Laskier (meggyweg)
    The Heart Has Reasons: Holocaust Rescuers and Their Stories of Courage by Mark Klempner (mep7)
    mep7: In this book, the people who tried to rescue children like Anne Frank tell their stories, in their own words. Klempner explains in the book that he actually interviewed Miep Gies, but in this book he focuses on 10 unsung heroes whose stories are just as unforgettable.… (more)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)

1940s (6)
. (3)

English (307)  Spanish (7)  Italian (5)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (333)
Anne Frank is a girl from the Holocaust who wrote about her life during the Event. She explains how lonely she was and how she was always hiding unfortunately she did not make it to survive. This is historic realism because its from the past and its areal event that took place.
  lexiedelg | Mar 26, 2017 |
Read this the week before visiting the Anne Frank house. Of course it's coloured by the knowledge of what was to come and there are several quotes in the diary that seem innocently prophetic, but what was most striking was the intelligence and awareness in one so young. There is much in the diary about herself being the most hard done by and being a victim to the unreasonableness of some of the adults in the annex. However, I saw in an interview with Otto Frank that she was the most unreasonable and the hardest to live with! That made me smile as a certain precociousness does come through in the book. After reading this you can only think of all the other holocaust victims who equally had their own lives, thoughts and feelings. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
This is a very real and very heartbreaking account of one girl's experience in Nazi Germany as a Jew. This book is a great resource because it is written from the perspective of Anne, who is around the age of students that will be reading the diary. This makes it highly relatable and all the more sobering, perhaps making it easier for students to grasp the horrors of the Holocaust. ( )
  alexishartline | Feb 5, 2017 |
I have long put off reading this book and i dont know the reason. I saw 'Freedom writers' 4 days ago, and the movie has a lot of mention to 'The diary of Anne Frank', and i promptly took to read it. Only to find my eyes moist over this beautiful journal of a girl growing up in that difficult era, yet finding so much liveliness, spirit and hope in her writing!! She has documented what i think is a very imporatnt time period, because of her perspective on the morals of war and its after-effects! She has written wondering about the life after war, and her mature observation throughout the two years of hiding which leads me now to think how important BEING FREE is, and what freedom in its truest sense means! Today, on the nation's Independence day, i've come to realise although this freedom is passed on to us, its our moral responsibilty to safeguard it, because its very very diffcult to be entrusted with this huge liability and thats what we have been bestowed with.
Anne Frank's story is not just another story of a teenager in the midst of a war, it is a story of growing up in hiding, of experiencing life in the horrible terrified state of bomb dropping all around you, of people being tortured and killed because of their names and religion! It hurts to think of all the cruelty children saw the adults did around them!
This book is a must read for all the children and adults especially, who have some idiotic theories about war and enemies, and who cannot differentiate between right and wrong.
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
Anne Frank was a young girl who kept a diary. Her family went in hiding with the Van Daan family (Van Pels) when the holocaust begins. She falls for Peter Van Daan and they always hang out. There are a lot of arguments between the families and in the families themselves.They study different languages and have to ration food. The diary ends when Anne is taken. Nobody, except for her father Otto Frank, survived.

This is a pretty good book. It is one of the more interesting non-fiction book that I have read.There is a lot of personal stuff that is interesting. It wasn't meant to be an autobiography but I guess that's how it turned out. It's also a really sad book because she dies very young. It's rally neat how her father was able to get her diary to show people how many times they felt endangered and how it was living in a secret annex. ( )
  JadeF.B4 | Jan 9, 2017 |

It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

5 2025

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,283,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible