Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank (Author), B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    La Nena dels tres noms by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    Memories of Anne Frank: Reflections of a Childhood Friend by Alison Leslie Gold (infiniteletters)
    The Heart Has Reasons: Holocaust Rescuers and Their Stories of Courage by Mark Klempner (mep7)
    mep7: In this book, the people who tried to rescue children like Anne Frank tell their stories, in their own words. Klempner explains in the book that he actually interviewed Miep Gies, but in this book he focuses on 10 unsung heroes whose stories are just as unforgettable.… (more)

1940s (6)
. (3)

English (301)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (3)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (326)
This book is an old book that is based by a girl’s diary. When I see the word “Diary”, I’m quite disappointed and amazed at the same time. I was disappointed because I’m not a big fan of diary, but, I’m amazed about the idea that this book is based on a diary. Not many books that I’ve seen is based on a diary.

Truthfully, this book is quite boring. As what is expected by a diary, some unnecessary events is being added. Sometimes, the story is complicated enough to make someone to be confused. But, the thing that I liked from this book, is the fact that it have lots of crucial moments about Anne’s life. Sometimes I have a tensing moment while reading this book.

I think this book is better if some of the unnecessary events is being removed and change the words a little. But for those who like books with interesting stories in it, I recommend to try read this book. ( )
  Gaby_Wijaya | Dec 1, 2016 |
Deeply saddened on how everything turned out. I already knew Anne Frank's and her family's fate, however while reading the book I was hoping that whatever was known to me will be proven wrong at the end. ( )
  peterandgelo | Nov 22, 2016 |
This book/diary was very interesting....I thought it was interesting, when the book said that they had a secret door hidden in the book shelf, I actually went to Amsterdam and saw the actual Anne Frank house.
When i read the book/diary,i also found it interesting when I read about the Frank family having to stay in the top of the building for a long time and that they couldn't make any noises or they will be heared and killed.
And when it showed pictures trough tout the book/diary, I honestly thought that it was really sad and upsetting when you know and understand what they were going through.
Also when i went to the actual house of Anne Frank, i saw the bedrooms and like i said the secret door in the book shelf and i saw the original toilet and all of the things that i listed, i think were shown in the book by pictures.
But overall, I really enjoyed reading this. ( )
  MarixsaB.B1 | Oct 31, 2016 |
How can anyone not be touched by this classic? This is one of these books that you just have to read again & again, and every time you do, you find something new that gripes you. When I was younger & read it for the first time (and saw the movie), I didn't "get" the full picture/horror of the Holocaust, but as an adult I'm haunted by the ending - that her father is the only one that survives the death camps, and this is typical for families you lived during the Holocaust. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
This book was on the life of Anne Frank. In the diary Anne and her family have to hide and hide in the factory in witch her father works in. They hide the Vaan Pels and the "evil" Dussel. Through many holidays and birthdays they hide. Anne falls in love with Peter Vaan Pel. Finally on the sad day of August 4 1944 they were discoverd.

I absolutly love this book. It so sad, sweet, and forces us to ask why would we cause a war. I discoverd the secret of friendship, cabin fever, and lolity. I recomend this sweet book to ages 10+. ( )
  JaycieG.BG3 | Oct 26, 2016 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

5 1979

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,806,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible