Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank (Author), B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

14,986None127 (4.07)222
Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

20th century (113) Amsterdam (138) Anne Frank (231) autobiography (686) biography (707) classic (219) classics (165) coming of age (69) diary (797) Dutch (98) Germany (83) historical (90) history (678) Holland (84) Holocaust (1,177) Jewish (188) Jews (151) journal (85) Judaism (88) literature (72) memoir (558) Nazis (125) Netherlands (161) non-fiction (1,172) own (69) read (231) to-read (106) war (245) WWII (1,184) young adult (105)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (InfectiousOptimist)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.

English (244)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (263)
The story of Anne Frank has always evoked a lot of emotion in me. What a sad yet empowering book- I really think the message in this book is strong and humbling. While this book is a story of a young girl living through the times of the Holocaust it is also very informative. I think that this book is written in her point of view gives it more power. The details included in this book are also very innocent, it's about a young girl and her life while in hiding, her crush, her fears.. What I found to be so sad in this book is that shortly after she had died in the concentration camp, the Holocaust and ended and the Jews were finally free again. A sad story for sure but also a rewarding and sentimental message. I'm not sure how anyone could not like this book and it's message. ( )
  jessotto | Apr 2, 2014 |
What an amazing classic of the human spirit. As most children, I read this in middle school and still revisit the book decades later. Funny how one simple girl could have such an effect on future generations never really meaning to. ( )
  elleayess | Mar 30, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about a girl named Anne Frank and her family. Her family was Jewish and had to hide in a secret room in a house during the Holocaust. When Anne and her family are found they are sent to concentration camps. She is separated from her family and is put through horrible torture. The whole time she keeps a diary of everything that went on during these horrible times.

Personal Reaction:
I remember reading this book in school and then we watched the movie. This is something I never knew of before we studied it in school and I was just so interested in learning more about the holocaust. It teaches people to be thankful for what we have because times were not always like they are now.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
We could read the book and discuss it. After we read the book we can watch the movie that goes with it and compare the two.
  juliana63012 | Mar 25, 2014 |
If Anne Frank could still believe in the basic goodness of humanity, than I think that I can try to see the best in others. This is a must! ( )
  Laurie.Schultz | Mar 15, 2014 |
i cried when i read this book... ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:19 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible