Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by…

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank, B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)

Member:benwaugh
Title:Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Other authors:B. M. Mooyaart-Doubleday (Translator), Eleanor Roosevelt (Introduction)
Info:Bantam (1993), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, 20th_century, dutch_literature, diaries, ww2, murder

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

Recently added bykatiejo2324, Inessova, skytreelake, Foodang, private library, vanessa-c, thelittlestacks, ShellyS
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Hansje Galesloot (JqnOC)
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Das Mädchen mit den drei Namen by Tami Shem-Tov (leselotte)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington (Anonymous user)
    Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust by Editors of Time for Kids Magazine (meggyweg)

English (264)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Italian (3)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (286)
I absolutely love this book. It allows the readers to see how Anne Frank was feeling throughout her whole journey of going through World War II and The Holocaust. This would be good for fourth grade up until sixth graders, but any readers of a younger age should be approved by an adult to read this text. This book not only teaches students about Anne Frank and her family, but it also teaches about Word War II and The Holocaust, an extremely tragic time in history that should be taught to students for generations to come in order to avoid history repeating itself. One of my favorite aspects of this diary were the photos included in parts of the text, allowing readers to visualize the annex and significant points in Anne's life. ( )
  ajohns75 | Mar 26, 2015 |
When reading Anne's diary, I felt her struggle thanks to her words. I absolutely like this book, but wish its abrupt end was not the one we all know. ( )
  bedeo31 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This is the diary of a young Jewish girl named Anne Frank. She was given a diary on her birthday that she recorded all her personal feelings in during the time of the Holocaust. Her family was forced to flee from Amsterdam and was hidden in an attic with her family for two years until they were found out and sent to concentration camps. She keeps an account of all the awful things that happened until her end.
I thought this book was so good and honest. I think that everyone should read it to get a piece of the history as well as what humans were capable of doing.
Classroom extensions: I would have the students write a letter to Anne about how they felt after reading her diary. Or, I would use this book as a segue for teaching a history lesson. ( )
  emedwards | Mar 22, 2015 |
A great story of one family's struggle against Nazi Germany, a fantastic recollection of events ( )
  Tony2704 | Mar 15, 2015 |
Discovered in the attic in which she spent the last years of her life, Anne Frank's remarkable diary has since become a world classic—a powerful reminder of the horrors of war and an eloquent testament to the human spirit. In 1942, with Nazis occupying Holland, a thirteen-year-old Jewish girl and her family fled their home in Amsterdam and went into hiding. For the next two years, until their whereabouts were betrayed to the Gestapo, they and another family lived cloistered in the "Secret Annex" of an old office building. Cut off from the outside world, they faced hunger, boredom, the constant cruelties of living in confined quarters, and the ever-present threat of discovery and death. In her diary Anne Frank recorded vivid impressions of her experiences during this period. By turns thoughtful, moving, and amusing, her account offers a fascinating commentary on human courage and frailty and a compelling self-portrait of a sensitive and spirited young woman whose promise was tragically cut short.
  cm37107 | Mar 5, 2015 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.

As the "Green Police" search for Jews on the streets of Amsterdam, a young girl named Anne (Millie Perkins), her parents Otto and Edith (Joseph Schildkraut and Gusti Huber) and another family retreat for two years to the small attic of shop owners Kraler and Miep (Douglas Spencer and Dody Heath). Despite being confined to a small area and having no contact with the outside world, the families go on with their lives to the best of their ability.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:19 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006, 0141336676

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,154,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible