Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside,…

Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, Book 6) (edition 2006)

by Simon R. Green

Title:Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, Book 6)
Authors:Simon R. Green
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy

Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth by Simon R. Green

Recently added byfields.steph, Hexum2600, ClaraCoulson, Schlyne, private library, srkal, thejayray, wanderingwynd

I can't get enough of this series! I don't know what i'm going to do when I finally catch up to the end! ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
It feels like the ongoing trauma has been buttoned up quite nicely.
Green gives you a lot in his books, and he has a great love for cliches'. It somehow works for him though. He's able to give us a really great series that get you thinking on all manner of thoughts on: religion, human depravity, morbid humor, a little folklore or histories/prophecies. The list just goes on.
Check this out if you're not to squeamish.
Cheers! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
In Sharper Than a Serpent??s Tooth, the sixth novel in Simon R. Greenƒ??s NIGHTSIDE series, John Taylor and Suzie Shooter have just returned from the past where they discovered the origin of Johnƒ??s mother, Lilith, and witnessed the birth of the Nightside. Now that theyƒ??re back in the present, they are determined to stop Lilith from destroying what she created and remaking the Nightside in her own image.

First they must rescue Johnƒ??s secretary, Cathy, who has been kidnapped. Then John wants to raise an army that they hope can stop Lilith, but heƒ??s haunted by visions of a future where he has destroyed the Nightside and his friends, so he decides to travel forward in time to get some answers. Perhaps if he knows the future, he can change it.

Besides the future, the other interesting places John visits include the cellar of Strangefellows, Rotten Row, Simulacra Corner, the Necropolis, a faerie sweat shop, the Bazaar of the Bizarre (a reference to Fritz Leiberƒ??s LANKHMAR books) and the Street of the Gods (another Lankhmar reference). Along the way he gets help from and/or pisses off a lot of the strange characters weƒ??ve already met, and some new ones, too. Thereƒ??s Alex Morrisey, Kid Psychoses, Tommy Oblivion, Sneaky Pete, Razor Eddie, Sandra Chance, The Collector, The Little Sisters of the Immaculate Chain-Saw, dancing ghost girls, the Carrion in Tears, Dead Boy, Julien Advent, Jessica Sorrow, Count Video, King of Skin, the Doormouse, the Engineer, Walker, the Beadle, Merlin Satanspawn, and the Lord of Thorns. He even meets the guys in suits who run the Nightside on the backend.

Eventually thereƒ??s a huge long battle when Lilith appears on the Street of Gods and everything blows up. This becomes so furiously paced, so ƒ??epic,ƒ? and so over-the-top that it is actually dull. Green hits us with everything and everyone at once ƒ?? each person is more powerful than the person mentioned before, wiping away enemies with their vague superpowers such as ƒ??undoing probabilities and spreading nightmaresƒ? (what does that look like?). For all the build-up, it was a little disappointing, mostly because the action was so frantic and intangible. This part of the story, which was the climax, had little tension or impact, though several characters die. (Iƒ??m not sure if theyƒ??ll stay dead.)... Read the rest:
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Lilith is back and is making her move! She needs John to complete her vision - and will call in all favours and allegiances owed to her. Of course, John doesn't this want this to happen -and to do this, he needs to call all the help he can get.

Onto the review - Its an excellent ending to John Taylor’s Story. Again, these stories are not high on literary value. They are fast, easy, full of gore, a perfect mix for beach reading. Its fairly typical in plot - John needs to fix a problem, calls up a bunch of acquaintances to do, goes on a spree of violence, and than fixes the problem. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 16, 2013 |
Another great addition to this series. once again I didn't see the ending coming. but I am glad this plotline is over because it was get a bit monotonous. can't wait to see what else is going to happen in the Nightside now. ( )
  AdriaFaye | Jul 18, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013872, Mass Market Paperback)

My name is John Taylor. I’m a PI for hire in the Nightside, the dark and corrupt city within the city of London. Where the sun never shines and where pleasure and horror are always on sale—for the right price.

Not a nice place to visit or a nice place to live. So you wouldn’t think I would care that it was about to be destroyed, by none other than my very own long-missing, not-quite-human mom.

But I do. I was born here, I live here, and I got friends here. They might not all be acceptable in polite company, but they’re my friends, nonetheless.

I know that I’m the only one who can stop her. The trick is, how to do it without fulfilling this prophecy that says whatever action I take, not only is the Nightside doomed, but the rest of the world will soon follow…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:29 -0400)

John Taylor, a PI for hire in Nightside, the dark underworld of London, must stop his not-quite-human mother from fulfilling a prophecy that will doom Nightside and destroy the rest of the world.

22 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible