Markings by Dag Hammarskjöld

Markings (1963)

by Dag Hammarskjöld

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (andejons)
    andejons: Two very different world leaders put down their philosophies. They turn out to be remarkably similar.

English (7)  Swedish (1)  All languages (8)

A beautiful book of writings and poems that allows a glimpse into Dag's life, and struggles with spirituality. ( )
  walterhpdx | Jan 17, 2018 |
I knew absolutely nothing about this when I somewhat randomly plucked from a set of books that were being given away. Now that I have read it, I'm still not sure. It is a collection of very short peices, some just a sentence, some maybe a paragraph. I was thinking of them as aphorisms but isn't the best description. Reflections? Mainly quite religious in nature, many oddly obessesed with death. Now that I've finished it, I still don't quite know what to make of it.
  amyem58 | Jan 5, 2018 |
I bought this book in 1965, during college, took it with me into prison and have read it so many times, underlining different sections. Hammarskjold had great insight into the spiritual life. ( )
  PJCWLibrary | Oct 13, 2016 |

Hammarskjöld, DagAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auden, W.H.Introduction, Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjöberg, LeifTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1925-1930: Thus It Was- I am being driven forward/ Into an unknown land
It is not sufficient to place yourself daily under God. What really matters is to be only under God: the slightest division of allegiance opens the door to daydreaming, petty conversation, petty boasting, petty malice--all the petty satellites of hte death-instinct.

"But how, then, am I to love God?" "You must love Him as if He were a non-God, a non-Spirit, a non-Person, a non-Substance: love Him simply as the One, the pure and absolute Unity in which is no trace of Duality. And into this One, we must let ourselves fall continually from being into non-being. God helps us to do this."

Universally known and admired as a peacemaker, Dag Hammarskjöld concealed a remarkable intense inner life which he recorded over several decades in this journal of poems and spiritual meditations, left to be published after his death. A dramatic account of spiritual struggle, Markings has inspired hundreds of thousands of readers since it was first published in 1964.

Markings is distinctive, as W.H. Auden remarks in his foreword, as a record of "the attempt by a professional man of action to unite in one life the via activa and the via contemplativa." It reflects its author's efforts to live his creed, his belief that all men are equally the children of God and that faith and love require of him a life of selfless service to others. For Hammarskjöld, "the road to holiness necessarily passes through the world of action." Markings is not only a fascinating glimpse of the mind of a great man, but also a moving spiritual classic that has left its mark on generations of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,111,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible