Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep

Karma Girl

by Jennifer Estep

Series: Bigtime (1)

2872059,740 (3.61)8
    After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn (wisemetis)
    wisemetis: Both are superhero books told from the POV of someone who is powerless.

Amusing lightweight fun. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 4, 2017 |
A little predictable at times but it was still a fun and entertaining read. ( )
  Jennezy | Dec 5, 2015 |
So I read this book many years ago and realized the other day it was part of a series. I decided to give it a quick reread so I could check out the rest of the series. Carman had her heart broken by her exfiance and former best friend when she caught them together, on her wedding day....She decides to expose them and soon makes a name for herself unmasking superheroes and ubervillians. Then she gets to Big Time and everything starts going wrong. She ends up reporter for the society page and falling for another super hero, and having the Terrible Triad threaten her. She knows she should stay away to keep everyone safe, but she's not sure she can.

This was a fun read for girls who are into comics and want a fun romance/super hero origin story. I really enjoyed it. I did figure everything out rather quickly, but I was't sure if that was b/c I had read it before or b/c it was transparent. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Reviewed by Jen
Book provided by the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Back in November, Jennifer Estep visited the blog (click here to go to the post) to tell us about the last book in her Bigtime series. After that visit, I decided to get a copy of the first book, Karma Girl. Since Jennifer will be back with us this coming week to talk about Spider’s Bite, the first book in her new series, I thought I’d read and review Karma Girl for you.

Carmen Cole is getting married. Yet on her wedding day, she feels something is terribly wrong, so she goes to talk to her husband-to-be. But she’s in for the shock of her life when she not only discovers her best friend and fiancee’ in flagrante delicto, but also that he is a superhero and she is his arch nemesis. Carmen uses her career as a reporter to unmask the two and begins a crusade to expose the identities of other caped crusaders and their arch enemies. Her exposes earn her a job at one of the largest newspapers and her assignment is to discover the identities of the Fearless Five and Terrible Triad. But when she reports on the identity of one of the town’s most beloved superheros, her world comes crashing down around her…

I was hooked on the story from the first pages. I loved the concept that Jennifer created; it was my first superhero romance (yes, there is romance). And I’m eagerly anticipating getting my hands on copies of Hot Mama and Jinx. In fact, I enjoyed this story so much, I recommended it to my sister when I was only halfway through it.

I’ll admit that I figured out the secret identities of all the characters that were revealed before Carmen. But it didn’t diminish my fascination of where the story was going. There are a few twists and turns along the road and more laugh out loud moments than I could count. Karma Girl is a page turner from beginning to end.
added by RtB | editRomancing the Book, Jen (Feb 10, 2010)

To my mom. Thanks for taking me to the library all those Saturdays. You've given me more than you will ever know.

And to my grandma. Thanks for just being you and for making the best fried chicken and biscuits in the world.

I love you both more than words can say.

Bigtime, New York, is not big enough for both Carmen Cole and the superheroes and ubervillains who stalk its streets. An intrepid reporter, Carmen's dedicated her life to unmasking the spandexwearers, all because her fiancŽ turned out to be a superhero, and a cheating one at that-sleeping with none other than his nubile nemesis.

Exposing the true identities of the nation's caped crusaders and their archenemies has catapulted Carmen from her sleepy southern hometown to the front pages of the country's biggest newspaper, The ExposŽ. Hobnobbing with millionaires and famished fashionistas is all in a day's work for a woman on the trail of the Fearless Five and Terrible Triad. But when Carmen gets the scoop of her career, her life comes crashing down around her. And even Bigtime's sexiest superhero, Striker, may not be able to save her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:15 -0400)

Once reporter Carmen Cole was happily engaged. Then she discovered that her fiancee was a superhero -- and a cheater. Now she is making a career out of exposing the secret identites of superheroes and supervillains.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible