The Return of The Native (Signet Classics)…

The Return of The Native (Signet Classics) (original 1878; edition 2008)

by Thomas Hardy, Jane Smiley (Introduction), Jeffrey Meyers (Afterword)

Member:erijens
Title:The Return of The Native (Signet Classics)
Authors:Thomas Hardy
Other authors:Jane Smiley (Introduction), Jeffrey Meyers (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, In California
Tags:fiction, novels, British literature, box 2C

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (1878)

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Porua)
    Porua: I would like to recommend another Thomas Hardy novel, Far from the Madding Crowd. When I first read The Return of the Native it kind of surprised me to see how very similar it is to Far from the Madding Crowd. They are very similar in their story lines, characterization and narrative style.… (more)

I loved the descriptions in this book. The writing was vivid and clear and quite descriptive. My only problem is that I read up a little info on the book and found out how it ends prematurely. It's really annoying that I did that, but I don't know if the descriptions are good enough to draw me to the end that I already know about.

Maybe I'll revisit this later. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
In this overdrawn and repetitive novel, Hardy offers up deceitful, tiresome Eustacia Vye in a comedy of errors fraught
with Thomasin generally being a drag. Reading about artificially tensed gambling is always trying.

Mrs. Yeobright, mother of dawdling Clym and aunt to Thomasin, is the bright light, once a reader tires of the inexplicable
devotion of riddleman Venn to Thomasin.

As always, Thomas Hardy's nature descriptions soar. ( )
1 vote m.belljackson | Sep 13, 2018 |
[Return of the Native] by Thomas Hardy was the story of Clym, a native to the heath of Edgeron who became educated in Paris but has returned to the heath, for reasons we never do find out. This is my 4th Hardy read and imho is not nearly as well written or as interesting as the others (i.e. [Far from the Madding Crowd], [Tess of D'Urbervilles], [The Mayor of Castorbridge]). Much time is spent on the description of nature and the seasons on the Heath---almost puts me in mind of Dickens and to sleep! The plot reads like a soap opera or a play from Shakespeare: love lost by folly. I vaguely see some of the themes that Hardy is attempting to portray: family, tradition/custom, pride, and fate vs. free will. I just don't feel it's done as well as in the aforementioned novels. If you haven't read Hardy, and I suggest you do, don't start with this one! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Aug 12, 2018 |
I picked this title up for free at the public library and it has held me in its dense, furzy 19th century rural English grasp since then. Fortunately, I had already read all of my Caldecott candidates. The Newbery possibilities languished, however (although I had already read the 2 honor books).

I cannot explain the hold of Hardy's work, but hold it does...more later.
1 vote msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

I cannot explain the hold of Hardy's work, but hold it does...more later.
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

Winterich, John T.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodcock, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"To sorrow
I bade good morrow,
And thought to leave her far away behind;
But cheerly, cheerly,
She loves me dearly;
She is so constant to me, and so kind.
I would deceive her,
And so leave her,
But ah! she is so constant and so kind."
A Saturday afternoon in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment.
Human beings, in their generous endeavour to construct a hypothesis that shall not degrade a First Cause, have always hesitated to conceive a dominant power of lower moral quality than their own; and, even while they sit down and weep by the waters of Babylon, invent excuses for the oppression which prompts their tears.
As for Thomasin, I never expected much from her; and she has not disappointed me.
The Return of the Native was first published in Belgravia magazine in 12 parts in 1878 and revised by Hardy in 1895 and 1912, when he produced a definitive Wessex Edition of all of his novels.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037575718X, Paperback)

One of Thomas Hardy's most powerful works, The Return of the Native centers famously on Egdon Heath, the wild, haunted Wessex moor that D. H. Lawrence called "the real stuff of tragedy." The heath's changing face mirrors the fortunes of the farmers, inn-keepers, sons, mothers, and lovers who populate the novel. The "native" is Clym Yeobright, who comes home from a cosmopolitan life in Paris. He; his cousin Thomasin; her fiancé, Damon Wildeve; and the willful Eustacia Vye are the protagonists in a tale of doomed love, passion, alienation, and melancholy as Hardy brilliantly explores that theme so familiar throughout his fiction: the diabolical role of chance in determining the course of a life.

As Alexander Theroux asserts in his Introduction, Hardy was "committed to the deep expression of [nature's] ironic chaos and strange apathy, even hostility, toward man."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

An enduring tale of love, desire, and the universal longing both to leave one's home and to return to it, this novel is one of Hardy's greatest and most affecting works. Hardy's passionately drawn characters and his vivid rendering of their valiant but ultimately ineffective struggle in destiny's web result in a masterpiece of melancholy brilliance.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140435182, 0141199741

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,388,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible