Mountbatten by Philip Ziegler

Mountbatten (1985)

by Philip Ziegler

1930 Mountbatten, by Philip Ziegler (read 2 June 1985) Louis, Earl Mountbatten of Burma, was born 25 June 1900 at Frogmore House. in the Home Park of Windsor Castle. He was a grandson of Princess Alice, the third child of Queen Victoria, who married Grand Duke Louis IV of Hesse and the Rhine. Mountbatten was killed by an IRA bomb on 27 Aug 1979. This, like the other four books I have read by Ziegler, is a good book. Mountbatten was an ambitious and rather egotistical person. His naval record made me feel he was dangerous in command. His role, though, in India in 1947 I think was well-done. He went on to high command in the British Navy, and was a very assertive person. ( )
  Schmerguls | Aug 25, 2008 |
Admiral Of The Fleet, the Earl Mountbatten of Burma, was a man who, for his own amusement, rarely took up any book unless it were one of genealogy, most especially one relating to his own forebears.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039452098X, Hardcover)

When we think of WWII we often think of Eisenhower, McArthur, Patton,Montgomery, etc. Many of us forget about the Great - Grandson of Queen Victoria. He was a champion of Nationalist freedom but also extremely royal. He was adored by the men that served under him and hated by Whitehall. A great read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

A rounded, sympathetic and yet wholly undeceived portrait of the man and the many facets of his character. From his christening - which Queen Victoria attended - to his days as Supreme Commander in South-East Asia during World War II, to India where he oversaw the move to independence, to the Suez crisis, we discover a man who, for all the glitter and the gold, was nothing if not human.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible