Their Fathers' God by Ole Edvart Rølvaag

Their Fathers' God (1931)

by Ole Edvart Rølvaag

This is the third volume of the trilogy written by Rolvaag before his death in 1931. The first volume, Giants in the Earth, was read by me Jan 14, 1946, with overwheolming appreciation. I re-read it 19 Aug 1069, preparatory to reading the second volume, Peder Victorious, which I finished 23 Aug 1969. I was not enchanted by that second volume and dicidied not to read the third volume, Their Fathers' God. But I recently came across that book and have now read it. It is the story of Per Hansa's widow and Peder, who has married an Irish Catholic girl and is farming in South Dakota. The tension between the couple over religion permeates and poisons the book, There are powerful scenes and events, including a stark account of the death of Peder's mother (Per Hansa' widow). But the book ends as I hoped it would not and that soured me on the book and I cannot call my reading one that I appreciated. ( )
  Schmerguls | May 28, 2012 |

Susie Doheny, an Irish Catholic, and Peder Holm, a Norwegian Lutheran, fall in love and marry in South Dakota in the 1890s. Soon their marriage is tested by drought, depression, and family bickering. Susie believes they are being tested by their fathers' God.

Peder blames Susie for the timidity of her beliefs; Susie fears Peder's pride and skepticism. When political antagonism grows between the Norwegian and Irish immigrant communities, it threatens to split their marriage.

Against a backdrop of hard times, crisscrossed by Populists, antimonopolists, and schemers, Rölvaag brings the struggle of immigrants into the twentieth century. In Giants in the Earth the Holm family strained to wrest a homestead from the land. In Peder Victorious the American-born children searched for a new national identity, often defying the traditions their parents fought to uphold. In Their Fathers' God, Rölvaag's most soul-searching novel, the first-generation americans enter a world of ruthless competition in the midst of scarcity.

The University of Nebraska Press also publishes Peder Victorious and Paul Reigstad's Rölvaag: His Life and Art.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,729,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible